shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling DeeJay-DIY gel manicure ?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SH gel polish already has one little chip and I see a little bit of nail at the end on a few fingers. Rats.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, Marcy in one day? That's a bummer. I just started doing gels in the salon like in September and I rock them 3-4 weeks. Partly because it stays on that lung and partly cuz I don't want to pay for it more frequently. I really want to do it at home but don't want to get a light that doesn't dry quick and hard. Or pay too much. And I heard you can "fill" the outgrowth of you still want that color for more days/weeks.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy, is this polish that was cured with a UV or LED light or just the stuff that SH calls gel polish that you put on and it dries by air? If it's the air dry stuff I don't think (based on what I've read) that it's really any different than regular nail polish, I think they're just trying to capitalize on the gel craze. But if it's something that was cured with a light then that level of wear is definitely not acceptable!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1449595798|3959007 said:
Interesting! I will have to stop by Sally and see if they have any Opi to try. Are the colors pretty accurate once they're on?

I purchased a red and a neutral and they're glorious colors. I love the regular polish Bubble Bath by OPI but find their gel version is too pink. I prefer their nude Leave it in Neutral (or something like that). They lift less easy than Gelish, but after a soak in acetone, comes off much easier than Gelish.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to jump into this convo!

I love my nails looking nice as I think I have ugly hands but nice shaped nails, so if my nails stand out no one will notice my hands. :lol:

There has been such a lot of news about skin cancer from the light used and I have just started noticing a few spots on my hands (could be just my age, but I'm a worrier).

SOOOOO does anyone use the SNS nail colour? It's the one where they dip them in powder. Apparently you don't need lights to set it? Just wondering if it is worth having a go next time.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glam, if you're talking about the UV light look into the LED light instead. I switched over two years ago for exactly the reason you're talking about. Plus, the LED light is SO much faster to cure.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ringo865, I have always been too cheap to pay for manicures. I really like the look of gel polish. That is great your salon gel lasts that long. I have to admit my nails look pretty good for being 2 days old now. I really liked the wide brush they have in these bottles.

Dee Jay, yes this is the polish and top coat that “work” together but you just air dry them. I would say mine were fine in under 35 minutes total for all 3 coats. I can usually get 2 to 3 days out of the Orly I use so if this lasts me a few more days than that I will be happy. I wasn’t expecting much so I am not disappointed.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Dee*Jay|1449706417|3959572 said:
Glam, if you're talking about the UV light look into the LED light instead. I switched over two years ago for exactly the reason you're talking about. Plus, the LED light is SO much faster to cure.

Dee Jay, I don't do them myself, I go to a Vietnamese salon (of course!). I don't know what sort of lights they use.

I actually was just talking to a lady in our office as her nails looked great and she has SNS done at her salon. I think i will try it next.

Isn't SNS a big thing in the US? It seems to be the thing to have here at the moment.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
ringo865|1449586668|3958968 said:
Manderz, that sensaionail light says led only and is is 7watts. Does it cure hard? The other one (or another one is uv and led and has 48watts but it's like 60 bucks. I suppose though, that's still only three stops at the salon. …

It does cure hard. I haven't tried any other brand to compare it to, so I can't comment on it comparatively, but I've always been pleased.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results