shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling CCL and all Cushion Experts

CushionCutCanadian

Rough_Rock
First off CCL, I''ve followed your posts on RockyTalk and really enjoy the insight you provide for fellow diamondshoppers on this forum. I have learned a tremendous amount about what kind of diamond I''m looking for based on this forum; thanks in large part to you.

So, I''m looking to propose in about 1 months time and I''ve found the specs of a stone I would like. I contacted GOG as well as ERD and so far I am leaning towards ERD. Unfortunately, I am in Canada and have no way of meeting up with Mark at ERD in NYC, so he has sent me photos (understanding what you said about the photos not doing justice to the stone), I''ve asked for ASET from Mark, but he said this is new for him and he is still working on that.

Both are Cushion cuts similar to an August Vintage (chunkier cut).
Stone 1 is 1.81ct HVS2 on the left
Stone 2 is 1.7ct G VS2 on the right

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks CCC

I am having trouble attaching the image, I will try again in a few minutes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 9:13:24 AM
Author:CushionCutCanadian
First off CCL, I''ve followed your posts on RockyTalk and really enjoy the insight you provide for fellow diamondshoppers on this forum. I have learned a tremendous amount about what kind of diamond I''m looking for based on this forum; thanks in large part to you.

So, I''m looking to propose in about 1 months time and I''ve found the specs of a stone I would like. I contacted GOG as well as ERD and so far I am leaning towards ERD. Unfortunately, I am in Canada and have no way of meeting up with Mark at ERD in NYC, so he has sent me photos (understanding what you said about the photos not doing justice to the stone), I''ve asked for ASET from Mark, but he said this is new for him and he is still working on that.

Thanks CCC

Welcome CCC!

We are having a lot of cushion cut fans from Canada!!
4.gif

If you still haven''t managed to attach the images, email admin and they will help you, use the report concern or msg admin buttons.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2010 9:57:34 AM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks CCC

Welcome CCC!

4.gif

If you still haven''t managed to attach the images, email admin and they will help you, use the report concern or msg admin buttons.
This isn''t the first time this has happened with undefined image, how does one actually email admin so they get a response? To what address?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 10:03:03 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Date: 3/8/2010 9:57:34 AM

First off CCL, I've followed your posts on RockyTalk and really enjoy the insight you provide for fellow diamondshoppers on this forum. I have learned a tremendous amount about what kind of diamond I'm looking for based on this forum; thanks in large part to you.

So, I'm looking to propose in about 1 months time and I've found the specs of a stone I would like. I contacted GOG as well as ERD and so far I am leaning towards ERD. Unfortunately, I am in Canada and have no way of meeting up with Mark at ERD in NYC, so he has sent me photos (understanding what you said about the photos not doing justice to the stone), I've asked for ASET from Mark, but he said this is new for him and he is still working on that.

Thanks CCC

Welcome CCC!

4.gif

If you still haven't managed to attach the images, email admin and they will help you, use the report concern or msg admin buttons.
This isn't the first time this has happened with undefined image, how does one actually email admin so they get a response? To what address?
Just use either button, tell admin the problem and when they reply you can attach the image to that email or they will give another email address or method you can use to send the image which they can then post for you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Welcome fellow Canadian and cushion lover. The journey to a cushion can be extremly fun and frustrating :razz:

A few tips on attaching photos:
1. You have to upload to Pricescope. You cannot link to an external site.
2. The file size has to be under 100K. Target for no more than 98 K if possible.
3. Use a very specialized filename. You can''t have duplicated names to something already in the system.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Just as a helpful hint, please use the report concern button if your question relates to a specific thread or post. Using the msg admin button does not give us a link to the thread so if you use that button please make sure to include a link to the thread so that we know how to help!

But we are always happy to help insert an image or two if you cannot get it to work. Usually if you get the undefined error you will also need to rename again. We have an easier system in the pipeline that we hope to be able to utilize soon.

Thank you.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 11:41:59 AM
Author: Ella
Just as a helpful hint, please use the report concern button if your question relates to a specific thread or post. Using the msg admin button does not give us a link to the thread so if you use that button please make sure to include a link to the thread so that we know how to help!

But we are always happy to help insert an image or two if you cannot get it to work. Usually if you get the undefined error you will also need to rename again. We have an easier system in the pipeline that we hope to be able to utilize soon.

Thank you.
1.gif
Thanks Ella! Thats an important point to make!

CushionCutCanadian

Rough_Rock
Here is the image. It is much smaller than the actual and I had to reduce the quality in order for it to fit on here. Please let me know what you think.

Again thank you in advance,

CCC

HandGVS2RINGSX2abcdefg123.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2010 4:53:36 PM
Author: CushionCutCanadian
Here is the image. It is much smaller than the actual and I had to reduce the quality in order for it to fit on here. Please let me know what you think.

Again thank you in advance,

CCC
It would help if we also had the ASET images as well. It is difficult to tell light return from just a picture. What I can tell you is that they are both vintage style 8 main cushions and seems to have large irtual facets under the table, but the ASET will help me judge them much more critically on the basis of light return. I am interested in what the images from the new ASET camera look like this would help us in judging your choices.

CushionCutCanadian

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the prompt reply! I''m going to see if I can chase down any other images. I''m wondering if these stones would have the "Tiffany Novo" appearance on a nice (say Blue Nile Nouveau) setting. Do you think the old mine cuts have the "Novo" appeal?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Not that you asked for my opinion but I think both stones have a lot of appeal. If they look that good in Mark''s photos, I bet they look even better in real life.

Do these stones have the Novo appeal? I feel they have more appeal than the novo as a stone. However, I have never been a fan of the novo setting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Mark has been working on ASET recently, it would be worth asking him if he is ready to provide images.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Whoever is making these statements is misleading you. There is no such thing as "similar to an August Vintage". It either is or it isn''t. There are hundreds of cushions on the market with the older facet design, this does not make them similar to an August Vintage. It must have fine tuned angles in every facet set to produce very specific optics. Facet design is one thing. Light performance and optical design is a whole other arena and in a decade of picking diamonds for light performance I have never seen one that looks like an August Vintage.

CushionCutCanadian

Rough_Rock
What do you all think of this stone? I think I''m narrowing down the hunt - all input is greatly appreciated!

ASET to follow...

-CCC

mymaybestonee.jpg

CushionCutCanadian

Rough_Rock
Here is the ASET.

So it''s 1.57G SI1 AVC that I''ve been pondering over. Thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

CCC

asetabulum.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 8:10:36 PM
Here is the ASET.

So it''s 1.57G SI1 AVC that I''ve been pondering over. Thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

CCC
ASET looks beautiful well cut, better make sure its eye clean to your standards though ask Jon about that.
You may also look at this one http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6819/ video found therein.

CushionCutCanadian

Rough_Rock
Thanks CCL! I was just looking at that stone as well - It''s squarish, well cut and looks nice. You''re right about the 1.57 being eye clean. That''s the only concern I have with it so far. I''m wondering how big the jump is from SI1 to VS2. But, from my reading if going with a stone under 2 Ct, you can get away with a nice eye-clean stone if you''re SI2 or higher in terms of clarity. I''ll follow up with Jon to see if I can get a video of this stone.

Thanks,

CCC

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 11:39:20 PM
Thanks CCL! I was just looking at that stone as well - It''s squarish, well cut and looks nice. You''re right about the 1.57 being eye clean. That''s the only concern I have with it so far. I''m wondering how big the jump is from SI1 to VS2. But, from my reading if going with a stone under 2 Ct, you can get away with a nice eye-clean stone if you''re SI2 or higher in terms of clarity. I''ll follow up with Jon to see if I can get a video of this stone.

Thanks,

CCC
In general Jon doesn''t accept stones that aren''t eye clean from about an arms length away for his branded lines especially when he has to back it up with a lifetime tradeup policy. However the 1.57 has a lot of inclusions under the table so its worth checking with them and asking thorough questions.

No general minnimum clarity standards can be made confidently. I would say inclusions are more readily seen in Antique Cushions than modern round brilliants but any brilliant cut in general is better at hiding inclusions than most step cuts.

A comparison video will be nice to judge cut, ask him to do a video both inside the dock and by the window, however I don''t think the magnification on the video will allow you to see inclusions though.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love AVCs for that style of cushion, and like the square shaped ones best as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2010 11:39:20 PM

Thanks,

CCC
John will be completely honest with you concerning whether the stone is eyeclean and thus suitable for you, plus he does have an excellent return policy. The ASET looks excellent.

CushionCutCanadian

Rough_Rock
Okay, so here''s the scoop. I''ve come down to 2 stones. I''m going to go with one of the following 2 stones. I am leaning towards the 1.57 because it is closer to the ct size I want, has great ratio, ideal symmetry and polish. I asked if it was eye clean and was told that it is eye clean (no red flags). The inclusions are only visible if you bring the ring within 3 inches of your face and were told exactly where to look for the inclusion (only then could you sparsely see the cloud. The other option is the G VS2 - nice stone as well, but smaller (not by much) than the ct I want, not ideal in terms of polish/symmetry. In any case, I would appreciate your help in making this decision. I guess my biggest fear is getting a ring that my fiance looks at closely and spots inclusions :S. Could the setting hide any potential inclusions?

Stone 1: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6934/

Stone 2:http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6819/

Comparison of the 2: http://www.vimeo.com/10465805

Setting: http://www.vimeo.com/3397681

Thanks to all in advance,

CCC

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
ERD hasn''t provided you with an Aset yet? AVC''s are beautiful of course, but that squarish ERD chunky looks gorgeous too. I''d love to see the Aset on that bad boy.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Not what you want to hear, but I really love that GVS2. They're nearly identical in terms of performance and appearance and the GVS2 doesn't seem to face up any smaller, in my opinion. If it were up to me, I'd go for the clarity over carat - but if you think the extra carat weight holds more value for your fiancee, then that stone will be a charmer, without a doubt. The inclusions in the SI1 are under the table, so would not be hidden by the setting, but I can't even see anything three inches away from my face, so that's a pretty clean stone as well.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Do you have the G SI1 on hold?

Honestly, those two Gs look almost identical. I bet you won't be able to pick them apart in a line up seeing them in real life. Although, the G VS2 is not rated as well on paper - I think it performs equally as well. Watching the videos - I don't know why but I actually like it better. That .07 ct is not going to make any difference in size. I think the measurements prove it. I also much rather have a VS2 over a .07 ct size on a SI1.

Your call but perhaps go with the cheaper one.

35.gif
Pixley - I haven't seen you in a while!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 8:06:28 PM
Okay, so here''s the scoop. I''ve come down to 2 stones. I''m going to go with one of the following 2 stones. I am leaning towards the 1.57 because it is closer to the ct size I want, has great ratio, ideal symmetry and polish. I asked if it was eye clean and was told that it is eye clean (no red flags). The inclusions are only visible if you bring the ring within 3 inches of your face and were told exactly where to look for the inclusion (only then could you sparsely see the cloud. The other option is the G VS2 - nice stone as well, but smaller (not by much) than the ct I want, not ideal in terms of polish/symmetry. In any case, I would appreciate your help in making this decision. I guess my biggest fear is getting a ring that my fiance looks at closely and spots inclusions :S. Could the setting hide any potential inclusions?

Stone 1: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6934

Stone 2: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6819

Comparison of the 2: http://www.vimeo.com/10465805 \

Setting: http://www.vimeo.com/3397681

Thanks to all in advance,

CCC
Clickable

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too would pick the G VS2. It is not actually smaller, look at the video!
2.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 9:06:52 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Do you have the G SI1 on hold?

Honestly, those two Gs look almost identical. I bet you won''t be able to pick them apart in a line up seeing them in real life. Although, the G VS2 is not rated as well on paper - I think it performs equally as well. Watching the videos - I don''t know why but I actually like it better. That .07 ct is not going to make any difference in size. I think the measurements prove it. I also much rather have a VS2 over a .07 ct size on a SI1.

Your call but perhaps go with the cheaper one.

35.gif
Pixley - I haven''t seen you in a while!
Hiya Charmy!
35.gif
I agree - the GVS2 seems to have teensy bit more fire in the video. Just a teensy bit more. I also did a quick surface area calculation using the L and W measurements and the SI1 came up as 46.10 sq. mm whereas the VS2 came up 46.17 sq. mm. Go figure.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PIXLEY!!!!!!

Missed you!!!!
35.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 5:25:15 AM
PIXLEY!!!!!!
Missed you!!!!
35.gif
35.gif
Hello sweet Lorelei! I''ve been working on some kitchen updates so have been studying home blogs as of late, which are not nearly as fun as PS, and not nearly as easy to navigate. PS rocks!

CushionCutCanadian

Rough_Rock
She Said Yes!!!! Thanks so much for all of your help everyone - I greatly appreciate the work you put in for me in helping me make this decision. She and everyone around absolutely LOVE the ring!!! The GOG team is one of a kind. Their team is unequivocally the best diamond team around (in my opinion) - quick, honest, outstanding customer service, and above all quality products!

-CCC

shesaidyist.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results