shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Asterism junkies

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I got to play with a local jewler’s new acquisitions today (estate). He had a fun 3 stone ring with asterism. He’s not sure what it is (he’s hoping black sapphire, but I saw no rutile at all, so I’m thinking quartz…. But I have no idea. Here are a few pics. Anyone have a thought?

79FB24A3-A45C-4511-BCAE-AC890952A33B.jpeg 79FB24A3-A45C-4511-BCAE-AC890952A33B.jpeg

He also had a men’s three stone with two diamonds (one is a OEC!) and a ‘ruby’ with damage. I’m doubtful of the ruby part, but it’s is an interesting ring. I’m bringing DH there on Saturday and I’ll bring my own loupe and take pics.

Attachments

• 8E03E81E-5BB2-4270-9AB9-7A7B85225A70.jpeg
    8E03E81E-5BB2-4270-9AB9-7A7B85225A70.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 15F13E76-7C7D-49EF-9002-723450002CCC.jpeg
    15F13E76-7C7D-49EF-9002-723450002CCC.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 17
  • CF500120-D2CE-4E8C-81B7-FFBA873A6E7E.jpeg
    CF500120-D2CE-4E8C-81B7-FFBA873A6E7E.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 16

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
They sure look like black star sapphire - 'black' star sapphires are typically a bit brown or bronze, as in the pics. You wouldn't expect to see rutile - the needles are usually too small to see without a microscope.

The most common star quartz is star rose quartz, which is - well - pink.

For comparison, the top stone in the pic below is a black star sapphire. 845524

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
They sure look like black star sapphire - 'black' star sapphires are typically a bit brown or bronze, as in the pics. You wouldn't expect to see rutile - the needles are usually too small to see without a microscope.

The most common star quartz is star rose quartz, which is - well - pink.

For comparison, the top stone in the pic below is a black star sapphire. 845524
Thank you for the comparison pics. You are right - and you should definitely know. I love your avatar pic!!!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
@Starstruck8 - I know there’s a possible way to tell irradiation treatment by the arms of the star. Are they thinner? I can’t remember the details.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
@Starstruck8 - I know there’s a possible way to tell irradiation treatment by the arms of the star. Are they thinner? I can’t remember the details.

I haven't heard of star sapphires being irradiated.

There was a story a while back (?90s) about cat's eye chrysoberyl being irradiated to give it a desirable honey colour. It seems that some were sold when they were still dangerously 'hot'! But that doesn't seem relevant here.

Maybe you mean (titanium) diffusion? - titanium is diffused into the surface to create a rutile star. The star is only skin-deep - it doesn't go right through the stone like a natural star (or the star of a synthetic star sapphire, for that matter). But for black star sapphires, which are pretty much opaque, I'm not sure how you would tell.

The diffused stones I have seen have all been blue - I've never knowingly seen a diffused black star sapphire. I'm sorry, that's all I know.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
That’s such a great help! I think I had both stories mixed up in my head - the irradiation of cats eye and titanium treatment. These stones are not opaque, which is why I was leaning towards quartz. He’s going to test them and we might go back on Saturday:)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh that's pretty. I have a black star sapphire from Mastercut Gems that I want to set in a yellow gold bezel ring... it's such a lovely stone and before I saw it on the website I would never have given black star sapphire a second look. But it does have that sort of bronzey undertone and just looks very gothically alluring.

That’s exciting. Now to figure out what to offer him for the ring…. :)

Naturally, I love the rarity of blue (and even purple) star sapphires and star rubies, but black stars have always been my very favorite. To me, they're just the most romantic incarnation of the night sky. When negotiating the price, be sure to leverage the fact that he's unsure about the composition. If you get in on this ring at the right price, and the stones end up being genuine, that will be quite the score!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Naturally, I love the rarity of blue (and even purple) star sapphires and star rubies, but black stars have always been my very favorite. To me, they're just the most romantic incarnation of the night sky. When negotiating the price, be sure to leverage the fact that he's unsure about the composition. If you get in on this ring at the right price, and the stones end up being genuine, that will be quite the score!

Would you care to weigh in? I e looked up a few, but they are all auctions and not yet sold, so I feel like I’m flying blind. Not something I’m used to.

Would you care to weigh in? I e looked up a few, but they are all auctions and not yet sold, so I feel like I’m flying blind. Not something I’m used to.

I'm flattered you would ask, and if it were traditional, faceted sapphire, I would feel very comfortable advising you. But I'm a bit out of my element with star sapphire, which is a totally different animal, and I wouldn't want to lead you astray. However, from what I've gathered, high-quality material will hover around $800-$1,200 per carat. For average or commercial quality stones, the price point might be in the range of $400-$600 per carat. I'm sure there are also exceptions to those parameters. But I'd definitely try to negotiate lower considering the seller is unsure of composition. =)2

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I'm flattered you would ask, and if it were traditional, faceted sapphire, I would feel very comfortable advising you. But I'm a bit out of my element with star sapphire, which is a totally different animal, and I wouldn't want to lead you astray. However, from what I've gathered, high-quality material will hover around $800-$1,200 per carat. For average or commercial quality stones, the price point might be in the range of $400-$600 per carat. I'm sure there are also exceptions to those parameters. But I'd definitely try to negotiate lower considering the seller is unsure of composition. =)2

I feel the same - definitely out of my depth with this. I’m much more comfortable ball parking the other ring (no pics unfortunately) that I liked. Two small diamonds and a small red stone “ruby”. Thank you for your response, though. It helps me think about it more systematically :)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like natural black star sapphire to me! I don't have one of those!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results