shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all VS1 stone owners...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
How do you ID your stone? I''ve been reading some past threads about people getting their diamond inscribed with the GIA or AGS number into the girdle so they know that it is THEIR stone they''re getting back, in case they get some work done on the ring. (I analogize this to the George Constanza Syndrome..."They''re screwing me!!")

Is this good practice? How expensive is it? We''ve already sent the stone to Martin Fuller for an appraisal...should we ask if they can inscribe the number into the stone for us and send it back for inscription? (The stone is not yet set as the setting is being custom made.)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
9.gif

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
My FI''s diamond is only identifiable to us by the laser inscription on the girdle. AGS says there is a VS1 iinclusion on the face but we haven''t found it yet. When she had the ring resized, the jeweler asked her to bring the cert so they could verify the diamond by the inclusion. Jeweler couldn''t find the inclusion either and had to verify through the laser inscription. Laser inscription was partially hidden by the prongs but readable enough to match the cert.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most AGS/GIA certified stones already come with an inscription on the girdle, are you sure yours doesn''t have one? You won''t be able to read it with a 10X loupe, but depending on the size of the girdle, you might be able to read it with a 30X loupe. I can barely read by .74 thin-med girdle stone with a 30X in bright lighting.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine''s an Isee2, which has their logo ionized on the table, although no one can find it.
20.gif

I''ve just gotten to know my stone, and the tricks it does.

If it will put your mind at ease, go for it, I think it''s only a couple hundred or less. Certainly worth peace of mind.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to admit... I can NOT see my inclusions. And I panic EVERYTIME I take my ring in. Last time I was at a VERY reputable jeweler they polished my ring for me and I guess, they adjusted this one prong that I used as my 'security' prong (it had a kink in it that I used to check that the prongs hadn't been altered)... but ever since then I've been wanting to have the stone checked against my cert.

I think its totally worth it to get it inscribed. I might eventually do that myself.

ETA-- I've had jewelers HUNT for my inclusions and they haven't been able to hunt them down.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t see inclusions in mine either, and mine isn''t inscribed. I do two things. I use only reputable, established jewelers and I have my stone insured. So I don''t worry about that issue.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
We can never find my inclusions either, but I agree with the comment about using only a reputable jeweler. I''ve never felt the need to inscribe it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can spot the inclusion in my GIA VS1 round very easily with any 10x loupe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2007 4:19:17 PM
Author: kenny
I can spot the inclusion in my GIA VS1 round very easily with any 10x loupe.
By definition, VS1 inclusions should be hard to find with a 10x loupe. So either you have some kind of super vision or else your stone borders on VS2.
2.gif

avlis

Shiny_Rock
about the cost of laser inscribing.. its is fairly inexpensive. I had the inscription added by the appraiser. with a 10x loupe i can see there IS an inscription, but i can by no means attempt to read it. it just looks like a line on the girdle.

i havent been able to find the inclusions yet either

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a VS2, but have yet to see the ''clouds'' that are grade making for my stone, with the loupe or without it. My stone has the id number inscribed on the girdle. It came that way.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
The chances of a jeweller swopping a stone are microscopically small.
99% of jewellers are honest people in a trade that requires trust.Are they going to ruin their reputation by swopping stones?
Best to watch out for damage to stones though as this is more common and may lead a higher percentage of otherwise honest jewellers to "try and get away with it",simply because most customers would never notice most minor accidents.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have a VS1 and I can see the inclusion. I also found the surface grain on one of the facets, but I am anal like that, so I really looked for it really hard until I found it.

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I tried calling Martin Fuller to ask if the number was already inscribed when they did the appraisal, but it seems all of their gemologists are in Tucson. Oh well, I guess I''ll just have to wait until they come back to ask.

But, it''s good to know that there are those out there (Gypsy, DS, JustJulia) that don''t have numbers incscribed and just ID their stone through familiarity. Maybe it''s kind of like telling identical twins apart...even though they''re identical, each has his/her own idiosyncracies. I just need to get to know my stone!

LondonChris -- Thanks for the tip about looking out for damage!! And thanks for reassuring me that 99% of jewelers aren''t "out to screw me." I''m just afraid that if I move out of the DC metro area, I won''t know good jewelers in the new city and I''m afraid I''ll pick a bad one. But I agree that most jewelers pride themselves on reputation, so maybe I''ll just have to ask for PS recommendations! LOL.
3.gif

PearNut

Rough_Rock
OK - I just left my stone at a local jeweler to complete my custom e-ring and band. I feel very skeptical about leaving it anywhere - especially since my last appraisal is so old at this point.

The only thing that I feel that I can truely identify my stone iwith is my own knowledge of it and even though I''ve been staring at it for 18 years - it''s my word against nothing and I wish I had an engraving to identify it.

Let''s say it doesn''t get switched - how do I check it for damage when I get it back? And seeing that I didn''t look (through a scope) when I dropped it off - how would I be able to prove that the damage happened after I dropped it off?

I suppose at this point - whatever happens, happens and I should just wait and see how everything turns out. Within a few weeks I will be sporting a new set! Can''t wait!

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2007 11:13:48 AM
Author: PearNut
OK - I just left my stone at a local jeweler to complete my custom e-ring and band. I feel very skeptical about leaving it anywhere - especially since my last appraisal is so old at this point.

The only thing that I feel that I can truely identify my stone iwith is my own knowledge of it and even though I''ve been staring at it for 18 years - it''s my word against nothing and I wish I had an engraving to identify it.

Let''s say it doesn''t get switched - how do I check it for damage when I get it back? And seeing that I didn''t look (through a scope) when I dropped it off - how would I be able to prove that the damage happened after I dropped it off?

I suppose at this point - whatever happens, happens and I should just wait and see how everything turns out. Within a few weeks I will be sporting a new set! Can''t wait!

PearNut, that''s EXACTLY the type of thing I''m worried about!!

How DO you prove that the damage happened after drop-off? What''s to prevent a jeweler from claiming that it happened before you dropped it off? Do you ask for pictures to be taken beforehand? Do you have the jeweler draw up a plot before repairs and have you sign off on it?

Am I succumbing to the George Costanza syndrome?
37.gif

PearNut

Rough_Rock
Isn''t it frustrating that we have to think like this? Can''t we all just get along (and trust one another?)
Some people never EVER think like this and just go along with whatever happens and never worry about anything - and just enjoy what they have.

I read a quote last week - worry is wasted energy - that should probably be my montra and I''d get along just fine! Just hope that we are never in a situation to HAVE to think like George! : )

I''ve been ''deciding'' on my new setting for months - finally pulled the trigger yesterday and put in a custom order - now I have to really try to be calm because I feel its very hard to visualize something that I think looks great on paper. They assure me that I will be involved every step of the way - try on the waxes, etc - change whatever if necessary - so that I won''t have any surprises at the end. Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results