shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
Drk and Mara, I will definitely report on the Freestyle. A long time ago, the first pump I had was a HORROR of a thing that didn''t work, basically ate my boobs, and just downright frustrated me. I''m soooo thrilled that times have changed and there are good pumps on the market so that we working women can essentially have it all.

Drk, I really admire that you''re so committed that you''ll pump while right there with your patients. I''ve read as many reviews as I could on this pump and most women praised it because they really could go hands-free, although the hands free contraption that comes with it isn''t very favored. It seems that women tend to prefer to use one of the hands free bustiers. Oh, and apparently you don''t want to lean too far over due to the possibility of milk spilling.

I think it''s GREAT when pumping moms are able to get the word out there that they are pumping at work because that''s how more employers and co-workers learn to accept this practice.

About your weight loss -- please don''t worry about it! I''m sure it hasn''t messed your little one up at all because you''re getting to the point where it''s quite natural for your weight gain to slow/stop and hers to increase.

Mara, I used this calculator here to determine due date based on conception. I do have to jimmy it a bit -- the first date of my LMP was April 21, 2009, but I know that I ovulated around April 30 (due to EWCM) and that''s the night we DTD. I was doing very, very basic charting and this was a really weird cycle because I ovulated about a week early. So, on that calculator, I enter April 17 as LMP and that gives me a date of conception of May 1. The other dates fall in place after that. Does that make sense? If we''d conceived during a normal cycle, I''d feel comfortable just going by LMP since it''s just an estimate anyway.

Mer, wow, that''s some drama going on! I''m rethinking my desire to have had a bunch of sisters. =) Your MIL sounds...interesting. Since I''ve never had a big event to plan, I don''t know what it''s like to have someone worming their way into stuff, but it would frustrate me.

That said...SO''s parents'' 50th anniversary is coming up in March and we want to have a party for them. I mentioned it to SO''s one sister in November and she said she wanted to help but hasn''t said boo about it since. His younger sister is completely unreliable, so there''s no way we''ll be asking her for anything.

I finally bit the bullet and started planning it yesterday to give myself something to do. I expect that the place we want to use will be available because it''s a really small church out in the middle of the country, so I''m just waiting to hear back from them.

I already picked a caterer and a menu. The menu was super easy because SO''s relatives are much more comfortable with plain food than fancy; we''re going to get platters of various sandwiches, veggies, cheeses & fruits and then potato salad, macaroni salad, etc.

I''m hoping that we''ll be able to sneak a picture of their original wedding cake and have it recreated by MIL''s favorite bakery.

Last night on our Target run, I discovered that Target now carries invitations that you can print yourself and they''re reasonably nice, so we''ll probably use those. I also have 90% of the guest list done because I could just take it from my Christmas card list. We''ll do the decorations ourselves because they wouldn''t want anything super fancy. It''s just going to be a get together for lunch and a lot of visiting.

I told SO that this is what you do when you want something planned -- you get a very bored pregnant woman to do it because she''ll be grateful for something new to do and she feels the time constraints.
9.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
mara this site can give you a due date based on ovulation.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 1:59:51 PM
Author: gingerB

speaking of pelvic pain, my waddling has gotten ridiculous. my belly really isn''t that big (i''m told) but i can''t help doing the duck feet side sway from the sensation that my pelvis need more support, and it doesn''t help that my feet are starting to hurt more than usual with all the walking i do, so make that a limp-waddle. as i''m limp-waddling the hospital coridors, i''ve had multiple people coming up from behind me (perfect strangers) exclaiming ''i knew you were pregnant! i couldn''t see your profile but your waddle gave you away!'' uhh thanks for commenting on my ungainliness and lack of grace?? and i knew the waddle was getting really bad when a patient in a wheelchair commented to me that she didn''t know who was having a harder time walking, me or her
3.gif

Bwahaha! When I was about 4 or 5 months pregnant, this woman at work (that I didn''t even know) told me the same thing, that from behind she could tell by my walk that I was pregnant. I wasn''t even that big then, just barely showing! And now? My waddle is fully in place lol. So dignified.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Luckily, no waddle yet for me! Your stories are too funny!

Re: My sister. She is a peach. The hard thing, is that this has become a pattern between her and my pregnant sister. (They are siblings from my dad's previous marriage, and they grew up outside of our house, with thier mom. There is LOTS of history.) Anyway, it has never involved me or any of us other siblings, until I stood up for myself this past weekend.
During the weekend of my wedding, she alone, caused two huge blow ups. The scary thing, is that she has been getting louder and louder, and to yell uncontrollably at 2 people that are pregnant is just crazy.

Re: My MIL. I haven't seen this side of her since we told her about the baby. I REALLY thought that things were changing, but it appears they are not. I guess it is just hard for me to deal with someone that seems to be looking for reasons to spend gobs and gobs of money. I think I spoke about the OOT wedding we are going to in June, the one where only his parents are friend's with the bride's parents, where our baby will be 2 months old.
The first converstaion we had about traveling, MIL said, "Well, if your parents can't come we should find someone to take with us to watch the baby at night." Are you kidding me??? Flying someone 2500 miles, paying for thier travel, food, rooms, etc. so that someone can watch the baby at night? NO!!!! DH and I told her we were not ok with that 3 months ago... but of course, I get a call this morning, at work, asking if I have spoken with my mom about traveling, because if they aren't we should look into taking someone with us.
38.gif

1. I am planning on feeding. The baby is only going to be 2 months old, which probably means at least one feeding a night. Being at a random party with people I don't know, is NOT more important than feeding my child. If he is fussy, then I will take him back to the hotel.
2. There is NO need to interview people to travel with us. What a freaking waste of money! Are you kidding me?!?! This is my main issue with MIL... her need to "feel" rich or "show" being rich. Besides the Hilton's and the Rockafellar's, who in the world has a traveling nanny?!?!
3. I hate when DH's parents spend money on us, because it is her way of still feeling like a provider. We don't "need" a nanny that travels with us. If for some reason we need one when we get there, we can ask the wedding planner or the hotel for a recommendation, for ONE night.

Is this just me? Neither DH nor I want someone traveling with us. That is just weird.

I'm sorry for venting this stuff to you all. I really thought that she had changed, and it is quickly becoming apparent that she has not. I sent her an email letting her know that we aren't comfortable with the nanny option. If she isn't going to change, at least I will start standing up for myself... somewhat.
3.gif

RPS
- Sisters aren't so bad, I promise! Just this one!
2.gif
Our parents raised us to be very respectful of eachother, and we all get along really well actually. I assure you, she is the only person to have ever slammed doors and rasied her voice in our house. She decided to rebell against my mom, and was very kniving since being probably 15. She used to pit my dad and mom against eachother, and my mom against her mom (my dad's ex). She has never treated my parents house with respect. This is really nothing new, and she is just acting out, because she feels like the outsider. Which, admittedly, she is... but it is due to her own actions for the last 25 years.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
mer - all i can say is wowza. those ladies are pieces of work in their own, unique and special ways
20.gif
. vent away!

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
Mara-I am loling on the post regarding the quilt that you don''t like. I have gotten stuff for the bebe that I don''t like but have to put on a happy face and say that it''s cute when inside I am like...
38.gif

ginger-I hate those questions too! I don''t like the staring that I get sometimes from EVERYONE! My mom says well, they are admiring a good looking preg lady. But I hate the Are you excited? Is your husband excited? No, he hates the baby and I do too! Of Course I am! HELLO!!!!
15.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks lovely.

Mara- I'm sorry about the baby blanket that you received. I am honestly gald that I didn't say yes, becuase I wouldn't hear the end of it, for at least 2 years.

In my email, I asked her what needed to be done now, so that I can talk with my mom, and I specifically said that DH and I weren't comfortable with them paying for a Nanny to travel with us from our home town... this was her reply:

"We are talking about flights now. I will talk with you later. I do know a few baby nurses in NYC that can come out with "SIL". We have time to figure that out."

Really??? She completely ignored what I had to say. I don't want her paying for a nanny to watch our child! If she does this, I KNOW she will try and convince us to leave the baby home every night, and that is not what I want. I want this to be a fmaily vacation, NOT a family vacation, minus the baby. I would rather not go at this point. I was so excited about visiting a new place with our LO and DH, and now it is just turning into an overblown issue, just like always.

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
Ginger, I think we must have been posting at the same time. I''m psyched that your friend loves her Freestyle pump so much and that you''ll be using one too! I won''t lie -- pumping can be a PITA. The last time, I went through supply dips and trying everything possible to increase my supply, including ordering domperidone from an overseas pharmacy (which is not quite 100% legal). At the end of the year, I was glad to hang up the horns, but I also had a great feeling of accomplishment.

I agree with you on the nursing tanks -- I think the side sling may have less support, but you''d probably be fine with that.

As for the waddle, I sympathize! Oh, the MANY joys of late pregnancy!

Mer, if you need someone to travel with you, I''ll throw my name in the hat, LOL! Plus, if your MIL wants to throw more money around, I''d be happy to give her a list of things that I''d love to buy! Ok, I''m no help. =)

I would be frustrated, too, about the nanny issue. Two month olds are SO amazingly portable! By that time, they''ve gotten over the shock of birth, breastfeeding is usually well established, they''ve sort of gotten into a schedule...but they haven''t learned to scream (or talk incessantly) yet. I know that I''m a bit odd because I hate having kids stay overnight with anyone else until they''re quite a bit older (my 3 year old has never been gone overnight), but at 2 months, I''m certainly not ready to be separated from my baby like that.

You could tell her that you WON''T be able to leave the baby because of the feeding issue. Yeah, you could theoretically pump and leave a bottle, but then you''d also have to drag your pump along to pump during any missed feedings. If the baby were older than 2 months -- like 5-6 months -- it wouldn''t be a big deal, and I know a lot of women that could make this work at 2 months, but I wouldn''t risk causing a supply drop. Because of issues I''ve had with supply drops in later months, I''m extremely vigilant in the early months -- not everyone has to be like this, but it might be a good "excuse" for MIL.

Wow, your sis sounds like a real piece of work! It''s a shame that she hasn''t grown up enough to appreciate how fortunate she is to have other sisters.

Good for you for setting boundaries with everyone and standing up for yourself!

About the "are you excited" question: MTJ and Ginger, you two crack me up with your hypothetical answers! Oh, how much would you love to actually say something like the things you guys suggested? I probably would because I''m mean like that.

So I finished the training for my one customer and that was the last big thing on my to do list. This means I can have a baby at any time! Yeah...I know what this really means is that I''ll still be sitting here, pregnant, next week.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol re the quilt... well honestly i like quilts but the one my mom's friend made is just weird. one side is all blue and white christmas trees and the other side is like all these ethnic looking children that have frighteningly happy expressions and in the middle are all these diff animals like alligator, elephant. but the colors are very primary which is not really my thing. i know how much work handmade stuff is and i wish people would really think about who the recipient is before making something and/or committing themselves you know? or even ASK if they want something like that. i'd much rather the quilt go to someone who would appreciate it! which is not me right now. BUT maybe the kid will like it hehe.

re: people making comments... JEEZ i am so on board with you ladies. first it's how far along are you. then do you know girl or boy. then it's are you excited. at work the last week i was like should i just wear a SIGN with all the answers? and the excited one is surely funny. a few times i actually was like 'yeah we are getting there'...because at the time i was like EXCITED? to have him out really!!! hahaa. plus i have never been one of those really uber-mommy types anyway so while i am excited, i am not a gusher about it...my feelings are private, peeps! i don't want to be sharing in the elevator with a stranger!

rps...i am def glad that BF'ing has come so far. i know i have said previously i just assumed that my mom and grandma BF but they didn't..and a lot of it had to do i bet with the lack of support and knowledge that they had at the time from people and systems around them. we are definitely more lucky nowadays to have this great pumping technology and things like LC's and newborn lounges and stuff at hospitals to help you out. of course it doesn't always work, but i think it's good that more people are becoming aware of how hard it CAN be... i think that people just assume 'boobs work to produce milk, easy'...i know i sure did before i became more edumacated!

oh and re the waddle, yep i've got it too. though mostly at night when i am way more uncomfortable than day or morning. funny because my coworker last week was like 'i think you have another few weeks in you, you aren't READY yet because you are still able to smile and laugh and FIT IN A BOOTH AT LUNCH'... i was like really do i need to be TOTALLY miserable for the kid to come out? damn!!! fail.

i just met a friend for lunch and we walked around afterwards...it was POURING crazy this morning but it cleared up thankfully. we went to a baby boutique (crazy expensive organic stuff!) and the dog boutique where i got portia a small toy for when we come home so that she doesn't get the shaft. the walk was causing crazy pelvic pains, but bring it on! progress right??

meresal

Ideal_Rock
RPS- I am running out of the office at the moment, so I will reply better once I get home, but I just wanted to mention that I also talked about the "feeding" issue in the email I sent her. I reminded her, that at 2 months I was planning on still feeding, so I would only be able to leave for a few hours anyway. (I would really rather not use bottles if I can avoid it. I don''t want to become a victim of the dreaded nipple preference.) I honestly don''t mind leaving the baby with a trusted nanny for a little while, I just don''t want one with us 24/7.

I also mentioned that I''m sure were can find a very reputible nanny in Nantucket to use one or two nights instead of paying to have someone travel with us. This is where I feel like she is just trying to spend money. Nantucket is a very nice area, that families travel to. I would assume the resorts have nannies that they call or have on staff to watch children at night, right?

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
LOL at your comments ladies regarding the unwanted attention and questions! I have noticed that a guy will look at my face and the eyes bulge out once they see my tummy. OK! I don''t know how to answer with this but WEIRD! I got a negative comment regarding the sex of the baby. This guy at work asked if it was a boy or girl and I said girl, and he said OH that sucks! I gave him the "WTF" look and tried to think of a comeback but couldn''t! But, that''s pretty dumb!

RPS-I would love to say something dumb back but I hold back sometimes, depending on who it is. I have a lady at work always telling me how the labor is going to be sooooo painful and that I will suffer. Okay, thanks for the negative comment but I brush off all those comments and move on think only postive ones to think of my baby.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Cello - Congratulations and welcome to Soren!

Sorry about the difficult labour. Really take time to come to terms with it. I found it very helpful to talk it over a lot and really understand what went wrong and deal with the way I felt at the time and the way I felt about not meeting my daughter in the way I had hoped for! It does get better I assure you - oh, and your mother is an idiot to say that.

Mara - take your conception date and count back 14 days, then use that date as your LMP to calculate due date. For example, my LMP was the 14th August 2008, so my due date was the 21st May 09. However I know that D was concieved on the 26th so I entered my LMP as the 12th August giving me a due date of 19th May.

Mer - Eughh on family drama. I''m pretty sure that you won''t want to hand your 8 week old over to anyone, plus they are so portable at that age. I took Daisy everywhere with no issues at all.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey girls...quick drive by as I am not feeling well. I have chills, nausea, and heartburn along with some cramping, so I'm getting myself to the bed pretty soon. Anyway, I didn't want anyone to think I was in labor yet (although I don't know if any of the above besides the cramping are labor related).

MP, my crib is shorter in the front too...I will try to send a link for it tomorrow to see if it's something your interested in.

Ginger, I still haven't seen Knocked Up yet...we have it on DVD, but I've never taken the time to watch it, but maybe I should..I need a good laugh about all this pregnancy stuff!

Mer, sorry for all the drama!

RPS, yea for a pump. I got a cheapie until I can figure out what works best...I may go for the more expensive one if I see I'm going to be pumping a lot, but since I'm at home I will try not to use one as often.

Mara, is it tomorrow or Thurs. that they babies will be aquarius?

I'm getting so many comments from people about how small I am to be having a baby next week. Seriously, this woman at the park that I met a few times that's 5 months pregnant brought her friend over to me today and said "I had to show my friend your belly, she couldn't believe you're having a baby next week." I think she is thinking this is a compliment, but after all the scares with having a small baby, etc the comments really bother me. On the plus side, a car full of high school boys whistled at me today...guess they just saw above the chest area
9.gif

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
the stupid questions/comments don''t stop once you give birth...

I will have Evan dressed all in blue with a sports themed blanket and I will hear "Oh, is it a boy or a girl?" "Are you breastfeeding?" "Was it a natural birth?"

Also, I never know what to say when people try to decide who the baby looks like. I love when within 2 seconds I can hear, "ohhh, he has your nose." and then someone else who wasn''t listening will say "Oh he has his daddy''s nose!"

I also get, "Oh he''s big!" when I tell them his current weight....when actually he''s small for his age (28th percentile).

lili

Ideal_Rock
Cello--
Congrats and welcome baby Soren.
Sorry you had a difficult labor.
Hope you make a quick and smooth recovery.
Can't wait to see pictures of your little one.

Mara--
Is your EDD base on your LMP or ultrasound?
If you know when you ovulate, like Pandora said you just need to back track 2 wks to get the LMP date that most calculator use.
Most calculator assumed that we have a 28-day cycle w/ ovulation on day 14.
My cycle is 26 day, but my EDD was 2 days later because they default my cycle length to 28 days when I didn't supply that info.
My ultrasound measurement was in line w/ my cycle length.

RPS, QT, Steph, and Mara--
Can't believe how close you guys are ...
I wonder if you all will deliver the same day or one day after another.
You guys look great by the way...and are so tiny too. (ETA: except Steph :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 6:42:41 PM
Author: steph72276
Hey girls...quick drive by as I am not feeling well. I have chills, nausea, and heartburn along with some cramping, so I''m getting myself to the bed pretty soon. Anyway, I didn''t want anyone to think I was in labor yet (although I don''t know if any of the above besides the cramping are labor related).

MP, my crib is shorter in the front too...I will try to send a link for it tomorrow to see if it''s something your interested in.

Ginger, I still haven''t seen Knocked Up yet...we have it on DVD, but I''ve never taken the time to watch it, but maybe I should..I need a good laugh about all this pregnancy stuff!

Mer, sorry for all the drama!

RPS, yea for a pump. I got a cheapie until I can figure out what works best...I may go for the more expensive one if I see I''m going to be pumping a lot, but since I''m at home I will try not to use one as often.

I''m getting so many comments from people about how small I am to be having a baby next week. Seriously, this woman at the park that I met a few times that 5 months pregnant brought her friend over to me today and said ''I had to show my friend your belly, she couldn''t believe you''re having a baby next week.'' I think she is thinking this is a compliment, but after all the scares with having a small baby, etc the comments really bother me. On the plus side, a car full of high school boys whistled at me today...guess they just saw above the chest area
9.gif
Steph, I had the same thing with my second!! He was 3 weeks early and over 7 pounds. People just have no filters, I swear. I hope you feel better.. HUGS!!!
Gotta love the whistles you got!!!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok so part of why the EDD is so confusing for me is because it was the first time (literally) we tried. So I didn't do any charting, I didn't even really remember when I had my last period, I just know when we DTD since we were on vacation. haha. So I think my Dr took like an estimate. Also my periods were never on the same day of the month, they always moved up 3-5 days PER month. So like if I had a period March 25 then I'd have a period on April 21, and then again on May 17.

Does that mean that my 'cycle' is less than 28 days since it moves up? So like more like 25? I also couldn't remember EXACTLY when I had my period in April because I was traveling in Europe for work so my weeks were all messed up since my routine was out of sync. I thought that my LMP was April 26 or 27 when my Dr asked me about it like 6 weeks later.

Soooo I only know when we DTD which was May 9th and 10th on vacation. And I figured it out later when I missed my period (which again was always a few days 'early') and I took a test like a week later. Then saw the Dr about 2 weeks after that.

My technical EDD is Jan 30 according to my hospital. But I never quite figured it out like what the range was... if I take a 28 day cycle and April 26 or 27 then it's like Jan 30/31. But it could be as early as Jan 28th (if my cycle is 25 days) or some calcs say Feb 1. So anyway!! I know EDD is an estimate ANYWAY...but sometimes I am like jeez I wish I really knew hehe.

Steph awww I am sorry you feel sick...I know how it feels, ugh...boo!!! Rest up. And yeah I know that people think that 'you're so small' is a compliment but sometimes you are like...enough already. I love when people keep telling me how lucky I am that I am so small. I know a lot of women have it worse but I don't feel small or comfy or anything like that. Esp since he is parked under my rib again and I can't breathe hehe.

Tao...sooo true re: the stupid comments not stopping, I can see that. I already am getting the BF questions, the natural birth questions, etc etc. People are just so curious!!! Why do they care?? hehe. Oh yea and whoever else said re: everyone having to share their 'stories''....ugh!!!! I really do not need to hear about your horrible 3 day labor when I am this close, people!!

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
steph-I hope you feel better hun! I hate when ppl say how small my tummy is and can''t believe how far along I am. I just tell them that she is probably hiding on my backside and because I am tall. I would probably respond to any other prego lady how preg they look in the face and that would probably shut them up! I am mean huh, but ppl like that can be insensitive!

Tao-Ppl can be so rude and dumb sometimes, I am sure that I am going to go up to a baby that is dressed in blue and ask if it''s a girl! Yeah...lol

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the words of support guys. It's not like I'm bothered when people here say I'm small or that's all they say...it's just when there's all this fuss made over it like I'm some kind of freak and something must be wrong with my baby. Anyway, 1 more week and then I'm sure I will be glad to take the tiny comments, because I will be trying to loose the 30ish pounds I gained
9.gif

Tao, thanks for the heads up on the crib recall. My fear is that ours will be recalled right when we're ready to put him in it. We didn't get a drop side one though, it always seems to be those that get the recalls.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol steph re: the in a week...yep in a week i am sure i will be happy to have a not giant kid as well as i struggle to push him out!!! hehe. i am like 7lber vs 9lber? YES PLEASE.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Cello! A dear friend from HS was named Søren, just thinking about him makes me smile and remember dancing with him. Very sadly he tragically passed in college and we all still mourn him more than a decade later as a brilliant flame that was extinguished too early. You have chosen a very strong name indeed. I hope that my addinging this doesn''t upset you, my friend Søren was one of those incredible people that you just feel lucky to have met and I am so happy to hear your chosen name.

Meresal, wow about your MIL (for the like 8th time!) Hmmm, Nantucket is interesting in their flaunting of ostentation...my family goes to MV where having a volvo older than yourself is a badge of wealth, but Nantucket has gone sort of Hamptons...anyway, yes, you could get a night nurse there if you had to, but if you don''t want to then there is no negotiation. Is your mom interested in going? Still unbelievable that she is interested in going to the breakfast after missing yours!

RPS, very interested to hear your pump reviews!

Wow, so interesting (as Lulu said!) to hear about the experiences of women at/near the end of this journey...I vacillate between thinking he will never be here and that I need to kick it into gear! We got a wall shelving unit today, from PB kids, seems very sturdy and will hopefully hold the stuff that keeps pouring in! I just don''t know what to do when people offer to lend baby clothes, how can I tell after a wash or two who lent what? I have tried to decline, but keep getting stuff from other teachers with "give it back if we have another boy." Gah, should I label these onesies or just store them, or give them back? Who gives things like that conditionally? I can understand a large item, but bitty clothes that will get all kinds of body fluid on them? Keep them if you want to keep them!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Steph, I''d love to know which crib you have
1.gif
Now that I have found out that my height sucks in so many more ways thanks to baby stuff being meant for everybody TALLER than me, I am all worried about checking to make sure I "fit" lol. I knew this short torso was going to be bad for reasons other than cramping the baby under my ribcage, which thankfully he hasn''t done much yet.

I''m sorry you''re sick - bundle up and sleep, and hoping in a few days you will have a little one to take your mind off of it!

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
Are any of you ladies that are due now/soon starting to feel cornered no matter where you turn because people keep wanting to ask how you''re feeling/if it''s going to be soon/haven''t you had that baby yet?? I am actually starting to get sort of pissed about it. Earlier, I switched over to FaceBook really quick to see what people were up to and then I switched right back over to another tab where I was working. In the FB tab, I see "New message from ----," one of my friends. I haven''t even looked what the message is because I know it has to be a variation of the only questions I get asked these days. Since I have never kept the birth of any of my kids a secret, why do people need to do this?? And this is a woman friend with 2 kids of her own who were both overdue! We talked about this crap before but now she''s going to do it to me?? ARGH!! I''m going to go into hiding until birth.

Mara, we are DEFINITELY luckier now than women were in the past as far as breastfeeding info and support. There for a while, it was becoming a lost art because women weren''t raised around a lot of other women bfing and the only serious support available was La Leche League -- and they have a reputation as being way too crunchy for most people. This is just one area in which I''m thankful for the internet -- on any given day, if you run into problems, there are plenty of places to turn to for support/info. The downside, of course, is that there''s a lot of misinformation out there, too!

Mer, dang it, I thought I had you covered with a good way to get out of the nanny! I, too, would assume that the place you''re going would have babysitting services.

MTJ, OMG, I *hate* women like the one at your work. I really believe that labor is as painful as you let it be. It''s generally not going to be a walk in the park, but think of it this way: Would a marathon runner stop running because it''s painful? The ones I know don''t -- they accept that they are doing something that is physically difficult and they work through it. I think if you think of labor like this, it''s MUCH easier to deal with. I''ve had 3 out of 5 kids with no meds and am planning to do it again (and please, I hope it''s soon). I''m not super woman at all -- you should see how I act when I stub my toe.

The births without meds were somewhat painful, but I don''t think I suffered. I kept reminding myself that the pain was limited -- it wasn''t there constantly and there would be an end to it. I also kept in mind that each contraction brought me closer to having a baby to hold. I concentrated on only the current contraction -- not the last one, not the next 5, 10, 20.

I hope that gives you some positive stuff to think about! I can''t even begin to understand the comment about your having a girl, though!

Steph, I hope you feel better soon! I hate to say it, but the chills and nausea sound to me like you''ve got a bug of some sort.
7.gif

BTW, a pump can come in quite handy even if you''re staying home! I had the Avent manual with my younger daughter and I was a SAHM, so she just nursed. When she started solid food, I made her food (using the book Super Baby Food, which I really like except for its anti-meat message). One of the early staples was what the author calls "porridge" and it''s made from organic brown rice that you grind in a blender and then cook so it ends up looking kind of like oatmeal. My daughter LOVED this. I pumped during a feeding a couple of times a week so that I had breastmilk to mix with the porridge ''cause I figured it was a good way to get some extra calories in her (she was a super skinny baby). Anyway, I don''t think there''s any reason to have a super expensive double electric pump when you''re a SAHM, unless you run into supply problems and have to add in some serious pumping sessions. Since this usually isn''t a problem for moms that are with their babies all of the time, you can probably put that money to better use elsewhere.

I''m sorry about the comments about how small you are and how they bother you. I''m convinced that you''re going to have a really good sized baby and that you just hide it!

Mara, heh, I see you''ve posted about your cycle while I''ve been writing this book. If your cycles run 25 days, it''s quite possible that your due date would be several days earlier than a woman with a 28 day cycle, BUT since first time moms deliver an average of 8 days late, I think you''re safe sticking with the standard due date. Unfortunately, even though you know the date that you DTD, the actual date of conception could have been up to 5 days later! Then again, with your shorter cycle, you probably did ovulate right around when you DTD because if it were later, you''d probably have too short a luteal phase to support an embryo.

Yeah, it''s probably way easier to go with your original due date.
9.gif

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone,
Thanks again for the well wishes. Well, we had another rough day. Apparently babers is literally starving. :( Ugh! But, all is well that ends well and we''re going to supplement for a little to get him back on track. He seems to be doing better already, so that makes me really happy!

I can''t remember who asked (sorry!), but we chose the name Søren because I am a big fan of Kierkegaard. We had originally picked out Ethan, but after seeing that it was the #3 name in the country, we didn''t want him to spend him whole life being Ethan K. So, we decided to look for something a bit different.

I love Camus and wanted desperately to name him after either Camus himself or a character in one of his works. Unfortunately there is already an Albert in our family and even though he is nice, we wouldn''t want him to think we named the baby after him because people would get all butt-hurt. And even though The Fall is my favorite work (besides Fear and Trembling, which is where we realized Søren would be an awesome name), Clamence doesn''t sound too great either. Haha.

Anywho. . . off I go. I''m going to write my birth story out at some point, but I''m going to put it in the newborn mama''s thread. I really don''t want to share it here with so many of you still being pregnant. It''s not the most pleasant thing to read and I don''t want to freak anyone out.

So, who''s next?!

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
Cello, I was the one that asked about Soren''s name. You have a really cool reason for choosing it! Thank you for not minding that I''m nosey -- I love to know why people choose atypical names. I think it''s a good, strong name that''s different but not weird.

I''m sorry you had another rough day. Please remember to take VERY good care of yourself! After your experience, you need and deserve to be babied yourself and there is NOTHING wrong with staying in bed all day with your little man. Keep in mind that his stomach is only the size of a marble so he doesn''t need much to eat at once -- little nips here and there are perfect. I know it''s hard because when you have a traumatic delivery, your milk can be delayed coming it.

I''ll be looking for your story in the other thread! And pictures, too!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Cello, I''m glad to see things are looking up! I will be watching your birth story - I ain''t skerred
2.gif

Does anybody else have super chapped lips since they have been pregnant? I have always had soft lips and I love my Burt''s Bee''s chappy, but since I have been PG, my lower lip VISIBLY chaps, really badly. Tonight I can actually see the layers peeling, and no amount of chapstick is helping. I stopped using Burt''s because it seemed to be making it worse, but nothing else is really helping. I drink tons of water, so I have no idea what else to do to fix it. They crack and split and bleed, too. Ouchie.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Mer, do you really have to attend this wedding? It sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Mara, glad you're home and resting.

RPS, I love older homes, and this house is amazing, we're both so excited.

MP, I always have chapped lips.

Working until due date: It's my plan, at least part time. I get too antsy at home!

Delivered by ?: My doctor does all her deliveries. She runs a small practice with just herself, an NP, a nurse and a front desk person on staff. It has made this experience so pleasant. I love that they all know who I am when I call or walk in the door. I know nurses do most of the work, but knowing my doctor is a board certified surgeon is very comforting to me, if we run into any issues I know she's more than qualified to take care of me, knows my medical history and my personality and will do her best to take care of me.

So it appears the other house is ours. We're in the final stages of negotiation, should know for sure tomorrow. HOORAY! I'm just thrilled.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for the house Kimi! Hope you guys get it! Would you be moved in by the time baby comes?

So I just have a PREGGO vent esp since I don't feel good. I just went to Carls Jr and got a 6 dollar burger combo with extra pickles. Well they give me some WEIRD single cheeseburger with extra pickles. WTF! There were like TWO people in there, me being one of them and they make everything from scratch so it wasn't like anyone was 'rushing' it, as it took like 5 min for the meal to be done. I get it home and there's no lettuce, no mayo, no tomato. Just cheese, meat, bun, mustard, ketchup and lots of pickles. ARGH. HOW HARD IS IT TO GET THE F'ING BURGER RIGHT???? And I paid $6 for it!
Anyway I hate when that stuff happens but now I hate it even more because I wanted the full 6 dollar burger with lettuce and tomato dammit! On the plus side I only ate like half the burger since I was so not into it, so at least I didn't consume a bunch of extra crap lol.

RPS... lol I know the conception thing is soo confusing esp given how long the sperm and egg live and since I never figured out when I ovulate. I think that's why my Dr was like... lets use a regular cycle and an estimate. hehee. But I like thinking MAYBE Jan 28th is my real date. lol. Either way it's a few days so no big deal.

re: birth stories and people freaking you out. I actually don't get that freaked out when I read bad stories or I hear people's stories. I just never know what to SAY when they are like staring at you going 'oh don't worry you won't remember the excruciating pain LATER'. Honestly, I PROBABLY WILL remember it...because umm I tend to remember shit that hurts me. But the closer I get to it the less scared I am. I think it's because I realize that I have done this for 10 long months and it has been hard for me. I can do labor...women do it all the time. I ain't no different! Hopefully I will have a good experience, but there is a chance I won't. Either way I'll deal and we'll do it and in the end we'll have this little creature who is parking under my rib kicking my hand so it'll be worth it. Also I am used to working out and pushing through 'wanting to stop' so while I know it's not the same, I also view it kind of like a marathon. That is the finish line.

On that note, cello I'd like to read your story wherever you post it...again the closer I get the more practical I am feeling about this all. I hope that you heal quickly and your little bub gains weight. BTW I also have heard that their stomachs are like a teaspoon so they really can't fit much in there in the beginning, I have heard it's not unusual for them to be hungry and lose weight at first?

OH and RPS re: people starting to corner you. Umm today I got an email from Greg's mom AND another call from my Mom. She is calling or messaging me every day now 'how are things going'...I am like Mom I will call you if I need anything and/or anything happens. 'Oh do you need us to drop off dinner?'... 'Oh don't forget your sis is home this week so call her if you need anything'... I mean it's sweet and Greg is like 'well lots of people care about you, it's a bad problem to have'...hahaa...I know he's right but I know this is just the beginning. I am 38.5 weeks! What will it be like in another week.
23.gif
hehehe.

MP I get chapped lips at winter, do you think that has something to do with it? Mine are pretty chapped right now but not sure if it's my cold.

Speaking of this evil cold, it is tenacious. I am hoping a good night's sleep will kick it for good. I am over it.

I went to Target tonite ...they are having a huge clearance sale that I posted about in the 'stuff' thead and then Jcrow posted about it too and said the Itzbeen was on sale. So I went to a diff Target because the one I went to last week didn't have those, and they had one. Yay! I already got one from my registry but I wanted to get one for a preggo friend I am seeing Thurs. And ummm I can never come out of Target without other crap so the baby came home with some new stuff too.
3.gif
Oh and then I had to go to TJ Maxx to see what they had (have I posted about how these clearance places have AMAZING baby deals??? 1/2 price of retail at least)... and I got the cutest little Ralph Lauren jumper for $12 and some long sleeve bodysuits from Carters for $9 and a few kimono outfits for newborn. Ever since the Dr said she thinks baby will be small I have been on the lookout for kimono shirts or bodysuits for newborn since we did not get that much newborn stuff.

I have my last hair appt tomorrow, yay! And then on Thurs I think I have my last waxing and pedicure appt. After that..baby can come anytime...HAHA.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
YAHOO for Mama Cello!!! Can''t wait to see pics of your little one and hear more about your birth story.

Super-quick post... work is just KILLING me. I have no PS time during the day, and all I want to do when I come home is veg
5.gif

Eighteen weeks on Thursday! wow, time is just flying...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results