shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

I had my first iron dose on monday. It went well. It made me very, very sleepy. I think I was there about 2 hours total. Tuesday I had a random burst of energy, but now I'm back to feeling like a dud. I was supposed to do my 3hr glucose today but I was just too tired and very sick- stayed in bed all day. I have another dose of iron tomorrow... I am hoping by January they will kick in and I will feel better.

I've also to get a few stretch marks right above my belly button. The skin there is soooo tight. I'm 28w today so I'm a lil worried how zebra striped I'll be in that area by 40 weeks.

I just wanted to say thanks for the words of encouragement from everyone about feeling so terrible and the iron stuff. I seriously was/ am so sick that it's starting to affect my state of mind... I was so sure I was going to *die* on monday. I feel much better now that I made it through it and even if I do need a c-section I'm not going to worry since the iron will help with that!

So there should be a mini baby boom here in the next two weeks right? :mrgreen: Can't wait to see pics and read some good birthing stories :))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bean, honey, I'm so sorry you're still feeling so crappy. Are the iron supplements supposed to work better over time? I hope so!

You're smart to put off the 3-hour glucose until you're feeling better. No need to add to your suffering.

Feel better. Thinking of you.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Haven, just to answer some of your questions re: Prentice. J stayed with me the whole time we were in the hospital (we were there for 4 days). For a few reasons, 1) he just kinda thought that was what you're expected to do. 2) He wanted to spend time with Ethan too 3) I had a c-section and was laid up the first night and morning after delivery. TBH, it was really nice having DH there because he was able to help and make you eat, tell you to get sleep, and just take the baby and hang out. It's true what Meg said, you don't get a whole lot of sleep and by the end of it, both J and I were happy to be out of there. To get better sleep. The hospital have a pull out bed for your husband to sleep on and it's decent.
Re: the baby photography, I chose NOT to use the one at the hospital. I found another photographer that I liked and we took photos when Ethan was 10 days old. It's totally up to you, but the photographer I chose had more props and cute baby things. Plus he was posed in/on more positions and locations in the studio. Lastly I wanted to digital files of the photos, and I was able to get it with my photographer. I dunno if she's still in Chicago, I think she moved to Grand Rapids though. Name is Patricia Anderson. But regardless I *highly suggest* getting newborn photos taken. THey're only so tiny for such a short amount of time. It really makes me go all melty when I look back at them.
Re: Happiest Baby: Yes! Definitely went with the 5 S's Karp suggested. Some babies aren't big swaddle fans, so if yours doesn't like it, you can still try the other ones.

Haven|1355497297|3331186 said:
Bean, honey, I'm so sorry you're still feeling so crappy. Are the iron supplements supposed to work better over time? I hope so!

You're smart to put off the 3-hour glucose until you're feeling better. No need to add to your suffering.

Feel better. Thinking of you.

I do think they are supposed to work better over time. The pills I throw up on a regular basis so the infusions are supposed to bypass the digestive tract. From what I've read, they can start to show improvement in 2 weeks. I hope they draw my blood again to check levels because I am curious how well they work!

Ob office called today (tried to reschedule my 3 hr but never go through to anyone) and they left a stern voicemail lol I think I'm in trouble ;-) I'm sure I can figure it out for next week.

Have you found your HG to be better now?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bean--I definitely hope those infusions start to work very soon! I'll be rooting for you.
Pish posh on that stern phone call from your OB. You need to take care of yourself, and if you weren't up for it, then you weren't up for it.

LC--Gosh, I feel I need to send you a big fat thank you gift for all of the help you've given me! I keep rereading your C-section story, and it's given me so much peace to know what to expect from a real mom who has been there.
We will definitely allow the photographers to take pictures of us with baby, now we'll just have to see how much they charge for the photos!
As for DH staying in the hospital, we'll play that by ear and see. We've arranged for my mom to take care of our dogs and cats if DH stays, but I don't like the idea of the dogs not getting their regular routine for the entire time I'm in the hospital. I want to keep things as normal as possible at home for them so the transition bringing baby home will go smoothly. Now I'm thinking maybe DH will go home a couple times during the day so he can walk the dogs and feed the cats, but stay with me at night if we feel that's best. We shall see!

Meg--That's really good to know, that someone else had to be there if you wanted the baby to room-in. I definitely want to room-in, so I'm glad to know this is a possible requirement.
Lucky you that you don't need calming techniques very often!

Laila--The photos on the Bella Baby website are really gorgeous, so I'm hoping we get some good shots!

Rosebloom--I'm so encouraged to hear that Dr. Karp's methods work for you! I'd love more book suggestions, thank you!
And GO THEATRE MAJORS! :cheeky: What did you study? I was a techie, my focus was costume and makeup.

Choro--Ooh, great tip. How frustrating not to have a picture of YOU with the baby. Booo.

Steph--That's good to know, we'll see how DH feels about sleeping in the room.
I'm thinking the photos are going to be pricey, but we'll let them take some anyway!

Dani--Ha! Your sister sounds like a great auntie! Dr. Karp does have a bit of a strange demeanor, I agree!
I'm trying no

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think everybody's belly looks fantastic! I can't wait to go through it all again soon--apparently you really do forget the miserable days.

Haven, we watched (most) of the HBOTB DVD. I remember the DVD being very cheesy (which was funny to D and I), but the content is good! Every mom in my mom group had watched the DVD or read the book and we all agreed that not ALL of the five S's worked for each kid, but at least one or two did, so you just stick with those. You learn which ones work quickly!

We did the photo session in the hospital room. I didn't want to, but D did. I was being all mother-bear about not disturbing our resting child, so the photographer quickly jumped in the room when she was awake. D had a couple taken with her, but I was not feeling so attractive and opted to stay out of the pics. It was a rip-off ($100 for a disc w/ 6 photos), but I really do cherish them now. We also did a separate newborn shoot where we took family shots.

I had a c-section and had D go home each night (4 nights). I wanted him home with the dogs just in case something happened. Also, my supply hadn't come in, so I was up every few hours pumping during the night and I didn't want to worry about waking him up (I know that sounds silly having just had a newborn and all). The boys eat at 7am, so he'd be back in my room at 7:30am. They brought Katie in for the day around 6am and I selfishly liked the 1.5 hours I got with her myself in the mornings.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi girls! I'm still in hospital but just wanted to let you know I went into labour early Wednesday and had a emergency Caesarian later that night for our beautiful baby boy Oscar Matthew, born at 8:48pm on 12-12-12, weighing 10lb 13oz (!!!) and 52cm long, and he is of course, just gorgeous! I'm feeling terrific and will hopefully be home by Tuesday to post the story! Thinking of you all, much love!!!!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi|1355617338|3332354 said:
Hi girls! I'm still in hospital but just wanted to let you know I went into labour early Wednesday and had a emergency Caesarian later that night for our beautiful baby boy Oscar Matthew, born at 8:48pm on 12-12-12, weighing 10lb 13oz (!!!) and 52cm long, and he is of course, just gorgeous! I'm feeling terrific and will hopefully be home by Tuesday to post the story! Thinking of you all, much love!!!!

first, a huge congrats on the birth of Oscar!! second, 10 lbs, 13oz??!! YOU WIN,!! :appl: :appl: :cheeky: :cheeky: can't wait to hear all the details!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, congratulations Andi!! What a big, healthy boy!!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations DandiAndi!! :appl:

I've had my fingers and toes crossed for a 12/12/12 birthday and I am so happy that you got it! What an awesome birthday to have. Oscar is such a beautiful name! Welcome Oscar and congrats again. :))

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Dandi!!! Sorry you ended up with an emergency csection, but so glad he is here and you are both doing well. You were right about having a big baby. I bet he is a cuddly little thing and fun to hold though. See you in the other thread soon I hope once you are settled in

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, quick note because I'm going to bed, but I stayed 5 nights after my C-section and I chose to do that. Once you go home, you don't have all of that wonderful help!

Also, my husband stayed with us, but we had a big room to ourselves. He also had to do a lot of caring for A, because I wasn't able to move around a lot, and she needed lots of bottles and diaper changes. Recovery from the C really wasn't bad (I was expecting much worse) but you're sore, and you don't want to be solely responsible for a little one right after surgery. Plus, he really REALLY didn't want to leave my side. Or her side for that matter.

"Those are some of the best nights of my life. And some of the worst. All in the same night. I wouldn't have traded it for the world." - Hubs, while reading over my shoulder.

They really REALLY bonded a lot over that. They had the time to bond while I recovered.

One suggestion if you have the C, let your nurse take the baby so you can snag some naps. You will be recovering from major surgery, and your body will heal better and faster if you get sleep.

Good luck mamas! It's a hell of a ride!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Dandi!!! So thrilled for you!!! Welcome baby Oscar!!! :appl: :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Andi!!! How thrilling! Sending you dust for a quick recovery and some rest. Smooch that big chunky delicious baby for us!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: CONGRATULATIONS ANDI!!!! :appl: :appl:

Welcome to the world, Oscar Matthew! We have been anticipating your arrival for some time!

I'm thrilled for you, Andi, and have been thinking about you since you went quiet on the thread. :cheeky: Hoping your Caesarian went well, and you are recovering quickly and painlessly. What a gorgeous name, Oscar Matthew, and born on 12/12/12--the best! And what a big boy, I definitely think you won that contest! :cheeky:

I can't wait to hear more. Much love, mama!!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1355641575|3332523 said:
Haven, quick note because I'm going to bed, but I stayed 5 nights after my C-section and I chose to do that. Once you go home, you don't have all of that wonderful help!

Also, my husband stayed with us, but we had a big room to ourselves. He also had to do a lot of caring for A, because I wasn't able to move around a lot, and she needed lots of bottles and diaper changes. Recovery from the C really wasn't bad (I was expecting much worse) but you're sore, and you don't want to be solely responsible for a little one right after surgery. Plus, he really REALLY didn't want to leave my side. Or her side for that matter.

"Those are some of the best nights of my life. And some of the worst. All in the same night. I wouldn't have traded it for the world." - Hubs, while reading over my shoulder.

They really REALLY bonded a lot over that. They had the time to bond while I recovered.

One suggestion if you have the C, let your nurse take the baby so you can snag some naps. You will be recovering from major surgery, and your body will heal better and faster if you get sleep.

Good luck mamas! It's a hell of a ride!
Freke, thank you so much for sharing all of this!

You inspired me to send an email to our dog trianer to see if he can take Bailee while I'm in the hospital. I'm thinking DH might want to stay the entire time, too, but of course we'll see once we're there. And all the support they give in the hospital sounds wonderful and totally necessary for complete novices like us!
I love your husband's quote from the hospital.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
megumic said:
monarch64|1355382084|3330078 said:
Luv, you look AMAZING!!! You ladies make me want to be pregnant again RIGHT NOW! :naughty: :appl:

Ditto. I so so so miss being preggo. If I didnt have to wait one full year, maybe I would be already! :bigsmile: :o

Aww, all you guys are so nice with your sweet comments, thank you. ::) I'm definitely starting to feel the side effects of the belly growth now for sure.

Haven - that is so interesting about wearing shoes all day and then swelling when you take them off. It makes sense that they act like compression stockings, I suppose! It's interesting to hear all the info on here from various ladies about the Happiest Baby on the Block - I've been on that website once or twice but not spent much time there yet, so I like reading the posts of people's opinions here.

Re: the hospital stay, you've gotten lots of good advice from moms who have already been there, but I will say that my coworker had a C-section and was in the hospital for 4 days (at least 3 nights, but may have been 4) I believe (we're in NC).

Also, I'm pretty sure my husband will be staying with me overnight, but one of our midwives has already informed us that it's "despicable" what the hospital provides for the husbands, which is just a small recliner (no bed or anything). So depending on how long we're there for labor, and how long we end up staying after, I'm sure there's a chance he'd go home at night if he was absolutely miserable there. We've already discussed staying less time than normal for recovery, if all is going well - it sounds like the rooms are not even very comfortable for the mothers, and very small.

Also, like others have said, it can't hurt to have the photographers in the hospital take some shots, especially if you get to view and choose whether or not to purchase them afterwards. I do some photography on the side, and Bella Baby looks to be have good quality overall. Of course it depends on the actual photographer, as they seem to be a huge network, but I like what I've seen on their website before. My hospital also contracts with a company, but their work is not nearly as impressive to me. Plus all they offer in packages is basically a print package, which in my opinion is a very outdated practice, and it's astronomical to get them digitally on a disc. So I doubt we even use those photographers - I may change my mind there, but I won't buy them if I can't get the files digitally. I plan to bring my own camera in - my husband will probably take some of me with the baby, and I'll do some newborn shots myself. Maybe a nurse will be able to take a few of the 3 of us. If you get some good ones from Bella Baby, please come back and share them!

bean - I hope you are feeling better! It sound like you felt awful - I definitely would have put off my glucose test too, for sure.

DandiAndi - Congratulations on your big, beautiful baby boy!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: That is so exciting - so glad you are feeling well!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
LT--How are you feeling, mama?

I would totally rent the Happiest Baby DVD from your library if it's available. I read the book, but felt like watching the DVD was better because he demonstrates each technique. It's hard to be certain you understand the movements just from reading about them. (And it takes so much less time to watch the DVD!)

Yeah, we'll have to see about the hospital and DH's sleeping arrangements there. I know our postpartum room will have a large window seat that doubles as a bed, but I can't imagine it's very comfortable. DH has a serious condition in his cervical spine (stenosis) so if the window seat bed doesn't work for him, he's not going to be able to sleep there. I wonder why these rooms don't have actual beds for partners, it seems a bit old-fashioned, doesn't it? I imagine a lot of partners want to stay with the new moms and babies.

We'll definitely let them take the pictures, I imagine this is one of those times that we'll be all, "To heck with the cost!" if the photos turn out amazing. We have ZERO professional wedding photos because they turned out so horrible, so it would be nice to get it right this time. :cheeky: I'll definitely share a picture once baby is here and I can get on the Internet! A print-only package does seem outdated, how strange!

We live in Chicago, but I studied at Appalachian State in Boone, NC in 2011. I LOVED it there, and can't wait to go back to North Carolina! I loved it so much that I had DH make the 12-hour drive with our two dogs half-way through my summer program so we could all go hiking together in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Are you near that area? Boone was great, very granola and warm. We had some interesting experiences while there where we realized we're awful city people who don't trust anyone--everyone was so warm and nice, we kept on thinking they were trying to steal from us or something. It was humbling!

How is everyone else? Prana, how are you doing, mama? Getting so close! Bean, I hope you're feeling better!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Dandi Congratulations on your huge bundle of joy! I guess you don't really need any newborn clothes? Straight to 3 months! I'm sure he's absolutely beautiful and perfect. Can't wait to see pictures and hear your birth story!

Hi Haven You're next!!! :shock:

Hi to everyone else!

Congrats on your new baby boy :)) :)) :))

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
LT--How are you feeling, mama?

I would totally rent the Happiest Baby DVD from your library if it's available. I read the book, but felt like watching the DVD was better because he demonstrates each technique. It's hard to be certain you understand the movements just from reading about them. (And it takes so much less time to watch the DVD!)

Yeah, we'll have to see about the hospital and DH's sleeping arrangements there. I know our postpartum room will have a large window seat that doubles as a bed, but I can't imagine it's very comfortable. DH has a serious condition in his cervical spine (stenosis) so if the window seat bed doesn't work for him, he's not going to be able to sleep there. I wonder why these rooms don't have actual beds for partners, it seems a bit old-fashioned, doesn't it? I imagine a lot of partners want to stay with the new moms and babies.

We'll definitely let them take the pictures, I imagine this is one of those times that we'll be all, "To heck with the cost!" if the photos turn out amazing. We have ZERO professional wedding photos because they turned out so horrible, so it would be nice to get it right this time. :cheeky: I'll definitely share a picture once baby is here and I can get on the Internet! A print-only package does seem outdated, how strange!

We live in Chicago, but I studied at Appalachian State in Boone, NC in 2011. I LOVED it there, and can't wait to go back to North Carolina! I loved it so much that I had DH make the 12-hour drive with our two dogs half-way through my summer program so we could all go hiking together in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Are you near that area? Boone was great, very granola and warm. We had some interesting experiences while there where we realized we're awful city people who don't trust anyone--everyone was so warm and nice, we kept on thinking they were trying to steal from us or something. It was humbling!

How is everyone else? Prana, how are you doing, mama? Getting so close! Bean, I hope you're feeling better!

I'm feeling pretty good overall, thank you for asking! I have my aches and pains and discomforts, but I always say I can't complain - I feel lucky compared to some things I could be experiencing, and so far things have been basically pretty uneventful for me.

I had my 32 week appointment this afternoon, and all seems well. BP is 98/60, I've gained about 25 pounds so far, which I can definitely tell by my body aches, but I feel healthy and at a good weight. I know the ultrasound tech at 20 weeks said that they don't put the gender anywhere in our charts to prevent any leaking of information, but the midwife today kept calling it a "he" when she was feeling around, which of course throws off my husband and me, haha. I'm thinking she just had a long day and wasn't thinking.

Turns out I have the Happiest Baby bookmarked here on my home computer, so I'll definitely be checking that out now that I have a recommendations from you. I've heard a lot about the "4th trimester" thoughts, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

I agree about the hospital arrangements being sort of old-fashioned. I've heard of some hospitals having really nice suites now, but those must be newer or remodeled. Ours is trying to remodel, but I know they're not changing the size of the postpartum rooms, just giving a facelift, which won't even be done by the time we go anyway. But it sounds like most hospitals probably are just pretty behind, and would probably upgrade if they could. We were told many new parents try to go home early as long as they're feeling well, just because event the moms are usually more comfortable at home.

I feel the same way as you about the photos in the hospital - if they come by and offer, I may take them up on it and get some pictures of us with the baby. The website just doesn't offer any "example" images of their work, except a few flashing by on the home page. And it's an aggravating website to navigate, which I'm a stickler for, haha, so that bugs me too. Bella Baby looks like they have it together - a great website, good portfolio, etc. But we'll see how it goes - I am one to always say it's better to have the images of the memory than to have missed it. It looks like my hospital even offers parents a basic digital camera they can use, then return to the nurses to upload to a "welcome baby site" that we can create and activate to send announcements out, even from the hospital if we want, which sounds like a nice gesture.

You were in Boone last year?? How neat! :wavey: Crazy that you were just a few hours away from me! We live in Raleigh, but my husband and I are both natives to central NC and love it here. The beach and the mountains are both fabulous and both within about 3 hours of here, which we definitely make use of. You are right about Boone - it is a warm, cozy, laid-back area - a lot like Asheville in that it has a very unique mix of people, but the University helps keep it a little more down to earth, haha. We actually got married in Asheville, at the Biltmore Estate - so we have a special relationship with the NC mountains. So you got to experience some of that "southern charm", huh? Yeah most people tend to still be pretty nice and welcoming - we're finding lately that around here, a lot of that has gone out the window, with how much Raleigh is growing and changing. I don't like being in such a hectic area, but it's still better than most major cities in the nation by far. We'd live in a much slower-paced area if we could, but the work is here, and we find solace in the local trips we can take to get out of town every now and then.

I posted a picture here from our wedding, just to give you a little taste of the Blue Ridge Mountains! :)) (I blurred out his face because he's not to crazy about pictures online, hehe.)

How are YOU feeling, Haven?? You are getting so close now! Are you still feeling icky most days?

0218e.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi girls!

I've just spent the last 3 hours feeding and settlimg O so I'm exhausted and am heading to bed, but I just wanted to share a photo of my gorgeous little guy. We are spending our first night at home tonight, and I am a bundle of emotions. I waiver between elation and floods of tears! O is a good boy though, he feeds like a champ and usually naps for 3 hours or so afterwards. He cluster feeds from about 9pm until about midnight, but then sleeps about 5 hours, so I think he's off to a good start! He cried all the way home and so did I! :bigsmile: I can't stant it when he cries, I just want to cuddle him for ever. I can't believe he's a week old tomorrow!

Thanks for your lovely well wishes, I'll get to that story one day! :cheeky:

oscar.jpg

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
he looks so happy!! what a handsome boy, mama!!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Dandi!!! What a BIG and Gorgeous Boy he is!!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi, he is just gorgeous!! :love: And I LOVE that picture - he looks so happy!! Hope you're resting up as much as possible and that those emotions settle out soon. Congratulations - enjoy this time! :wavey:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Andi, that is one of the most precious little baby boys ever created!!!! Oh my goodness!!! So glad to hear things are going well. Post birth hormones will level off in a few weeks and you'll feel more like yourself.

Buttons

Shiny_Rock
Dandi congratulations to you and Mr DandiAndi! I love the name Oscar and he looks like just an adorable wee babby :love: :love: :love: Looking forward to seeing you over on the Mommy thread when you are ready!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful boy! Andi, I am over the moon thrilled for you, mama! Look at your gorgeous boy!

Be well these first few weeks. We're all cheering for you!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow Dandi--what a sweetie! :love:

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results