shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all runners!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am in the early stages of becoming a runner. I want to run to keep fit and lose weight. There seems to be a lot to take in so if anyone would like to join with me in learning more or teaching me I would be very grateful.

My first piece of advice was to look at Vibram FiveFinger shoes. They look really fun and encourage you to run as if you were barefoot. Thanks The Rube!

I hope I wasn't supposed to put this thread somewhere else. I just thought it would get more traffic in Hangout :))

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Maisie - There is a runner's thread in Health too. I"ll happily join you. I had been running last year, and did a 5k but had to stop due to a back injury. I am wanting to start back up and work towards a half marathon. Maybe we can push each other and share info as we go? A great resource is runnersworld as well. I also read on bodybuilding.com because I want to tone, vs have the ... urm... stringy look some runners get. Let's be a support team!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I should have looked there! I want to look lean too! Rather be long and slim than short and round :bigsmile: I do fancy the idea of lifting some weights too, for definition and strength.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
You should also look into interval training. I am not a runner, prefering walking and biking.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My bum is far too big for a bike saddle. I kid you not. :oops:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if other people would consider me a runner, because I've never entered any running events, but I'm a recreational jogger. I like to run about 4-5 times a week, and usually it's short runs of about 3 miles. If I run on the weekend, I try to do 5-6 miles. I run at a leisurely pace, and 5-6 miles takes about 45min-1 hour. I really do it just to loosen my limbs, and get some fresh air. I do find that it helps with keeping my metabolism up. I'm hitting my late 30's and I love food, so by running 3 miles 4-5 times a week I still get to eat whatever and whenever I want without weight gain. I see a difference immediately when I slack off, and run 2-3 times a week, I start gaining the lbs.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Maisie - I lift 5 and 10 lb dumbbells several times a week, and incorporate them into different sculpting moves. It does wonders for me.

Jayson - I consider you a runner. :bigsmile:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I'm running my first half-marathon on Sunday. :-o

A fellow PSer (vc10um) recommended the book "Marathoning for Mortals" for me and it really helped me so I would recommend it to anyone looking at tackling their first half or full marathon. Hal Higdon's website also has a lot of great information for runners at all levels and distances.

My biggest advice: get good shoes (at a running specialty store, if possible) and cross train regularly. Doing nothing but running (especially if you are not super active) is a great way to get injured. Mix in walking, aerobics, biking, swimming...whatever you like that gives your body a break.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I couldn't imagine myself ever running a marathon! Good luck with that Steph! :appl:

What about stretching off before you run. Is it a long and involved process? What does everyone do to warm up?

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Maisie!

I don't really stretch before a run. I'll walk for about five minutes to loosen up but no static stretching. I stretch afterward though for about 5-10 minutes, just taking time to hit all the different muscles in my legs and back.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I just allow myself a little three minute walk to stretch. I do arm circles to loosen my shoulders. That's it really.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1290198061|2773250 said:
I just allow myself a little three minute walk to stretch. I do arm circles to loosen my shoulders. That's it really.

Me too. I kind of "speed walk" instead of run for the first 3-5 minutes, and exaggerate my arm movements (just like a speed-walker) to loosen up.

Good Luck stephb0lt! Tell us how it goes.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
So if I start by walking. Give myself time to warm up... then what? Do a little run.. then go back to walking? I know I won't be able to run far to start with!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi Maisie, I usually don't set time goals, I set distance goals. For me, that's 3 miles a day.

So, if I'm not feeling 100% fit (certain times of the month), I'd walk for the first 5 minutes, start running slowly for as long as I can, then slow to a walk again to catch my breath, and start running again. I do this interval thing until I reach my 3 miles.

candy

Rough_Rock
Ooh! Running is one of my favorite things to do, I know that sounds psychotic. I don't do races, but I usually do 5 mile runs (4-5 days per week) and then once a week I'll do a long run that's between 7.5 and 12.5 miles.

I am by no means a sporty, athletic person and it took me a long time to work my way up to that distance. Here is what worked for me: Several years ago, I started doing 3 mile runs. I would run as much as I could, but I'd take breaks and walk if it got too painful/not enjoyable. In time, I did not need to walk at all, so that was great! At that point, I started adding extra distance to my runs, and now I never stop to walk and usually go at a pace of 7:45-8 mins/mile. Trust me, I am shocked by my progress!

Anyway, good running shoes are key. Good music is also key (for me) -- when I run, I just zone out and pretend I'm outside listening to music. That probably sounds funny, but it actually works. I just think of whatever is on my mind that day and the running takes care of itself.

I think it's great that you are taking up running! A lot of it is just mental strength to take one... more... step. And then another. It will get you in really great shape and will give you a great sense of accomplishment every time you finish a run.

Good luck!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1290199698|2773282 said:
So if I start by walking. Give myself time to warm up... then what? Do a little run.. then go back to walking? I know I won't be able to run far to start with!

Maisie - Yes!!! Jog as far as you feel comfortable breathing wise, then walk until you have your breath back, then jog, then walk. Do that at first, and THEN set time goals for yourself or distance.

I also find that it helps to keep track of my breathing. I start jogging with a four beat count. Four steps in breath, four steps out breath. When I get to where it's challenging to get two steps per breath I walk.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so impressed at all the runners! I can't wait to say I have run x amount of miles. Speaking of which, might be a stupid question but how do you know how far you have run?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1290202418|2773370 said:
Maisie|1290199698|2773282 said:

Maisie - Yes!!! Jog as far as you feel comfortable breathing wise, then walk until you have your breath back, then jog, then walk. Do that at first, and THEN set time goals for yourself or distance.

I also find that it helps to keep track of my breathing. I start jogging with a four beat count. Four steps in breath, four steps out breath. When I get to where it's challenging to get two steps per breath I walk.

Good advice from Dragonfly. I've done both of those things and they really help you build up your miles without injuring yourself and/or losing your motivation because it feels too difficult. Running is one of those rare things in life that if you just keep at it, you will improve -- and improve a lot! And seeing progress is so good for your self-esteem, so keep a running journal.

Also, watch your knees and hips if you are just beginning to run and/or if you are significantly above your goal weight (40 - 50 pounds more). The extra weight can change your stride and can be very hard on your joints. I know those new "finger shoes" are cool and people love them, but as someone who has been a runner since 1979 (when Adidas was just starting to sell running shoes to the public -- ha-ha!) I can tell you that when I was running when I was above my target weight, wearing a very cushioned shoe with motion control saved me from serious injury. You may need to get the advice from a decent athletic shoe store on what type of shoe is best for your body type and stride. I've worn Asics Gel Kayano's for several years. I get a new pair about every six to eight months. I run 3 miles several times a week and 4 - 6 miles on the weekends.

ETA: Just saw your question about how you know how far you've run. Google "map my run" and you'll see some nifty computer programs that will allow you to plan routes in your neighborhood and give you the stats on how many miles a given route is.

candy

Rough_Rock
Another shout out for Asics Gels! I have had great luck with them.

As far as tracking your distance, I use Google Maps. You can get pedestrian directions and then drag the line around to match your specific route.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am around 70lbs from my first target weight. I really want to run but I know I will have to be super careful not to injure myself. I am grateful for all the support here.

I think a mixture between walking and running is the right thing for me. Little spurts of run followed by a good amount of walking. As the weight comes off I will increase the running. I am so excited for this! :appl:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, Maisie! Hey -- isn't it kind of late where you are? Runners need their beauty sleep ;))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lula|1290207811|2773496 said:
Good luck, Maisie! Hey -- isn't it kind of late where you are? Runners need their beauty sleep ;))

Lol! Its almost midnight but its the weekend so I'm ok for a bit longer :bigsmile:

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I'm so glad you put up this thread, Maisie!

I have been a runner off-and-on for 10 years, but I have just recently gotten much more serious about it, and fallen back in love with it again. I am 31 years old, about 30 pounds overweight (ergh), and I used to never be able to get past 2.5 miles or so, being that I would have such pain in my knees, ankles and hips all the time. I would routinely sprain my ankles and be out for 5 weeks, only to have to start over again. So frustrating. What I didn't realize for all that time was that it was my over-heeled-gelled-padded-motion-control RUNNING SHOES that were holding me back! Haha.

So now I consider myself a "barefoot" runner. I sometimes run completely barefoot, but mostly run in my Vibram FiveFingers. It was a slow transition (you have to be CAREFUL with barefoot running - your feet are in veritable coffins all your life, you can't just unleash them one day and expect them to have all the strength they would have had if you'd never put them in sneakers and high heels, etc.). But I now run farther than I ever have. I run 3-4 times a week, my short runs are 3 to 4 miles long, and one long weekend run - up to 7 miles so far. I have a 5 mile race this weekend, and I'm training for my first half marathon in April. It will all be done in my "barefoot" shoes. I love them!

I am absolutely in love with running. I spend way too much time on www.runnersworld.com , particularly in the barefoot section, and I have lost some weight since I started with this in July. Of course, I could have been losing more weight if I was concentrating on my diet more, or crosstraining...heh...but all I want to do is run! For the first time in my life, running isn't just about 30 sloppy minutes of lurching and gasping to lose a few pounds. It's about training myself to be better at something I truly enjoy. I hope to love running for the rest of my life.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie|1290203084|2773389 said:
I am so impressed at all the runners! I can't wait to say I have run x amount of miles. Speaking of which, might be a stupid question but how do you know how far you have run?

I run with my iPhone. I have an app on it called "Walkmeter" that I turn on and it records my mileage, speed, pace, and will map out and save your route automatically so it's like a little journal. I also am on www.dailymile.com,, and each time I run I record my mileage and time.

But if you're old-fashioned, you can always map out your route first by car, and follow it afterward on foot. I have done that too, when I feel like not carrying any equipment with me, going totally "au natural" (which I often do).

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
stephb0lt|1290197716|2773247 said:
Thanks Maisie!

I don't really stretch before a run. I'll walk for about five minutes to loosen up but no static stretching. I stretch afterward though for about 5-10 minutes, just taking time to hit all the different muscles in my legs and back.

Good advice, stephb0lt...stretching is 1,000x more important AFTER the run is over. Like, RIGHT after.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I used to be a TERRIBLE runner, I just could not do it for the life of me! Then, a few years ago, I was going to be entering a boot-camp type of scenario and realized I really needed to develop my running. I had a Cool Running program recommended to me by a friend, who touted it so highly that I decided to give it a try. It claimed to be able to have a "couch potato" running 5K regularly in 2 months, starting at a very slow pace and steadily working your way up.

I was skeptical but my friend insisted that it worked for her and a few of her other friends, so I figured what the heck, it certainly couldn't hurt. And let me tell you, it totally worked! It did exactly as it said, and I was so amazed at myself when I was running about 3.5 miles 3-4 times a week like it was nothing. I did that for awhile, but then suffered a knee injury and I haven't been able to get back into it since. I wish I could, it felt so rewarding and gratifying to be able to do something I previously thought impossible. Not to mention how much healthier and fit I felt!

So, as someone who benefited from this running program, I wholeheartedly recommend it. For anyone who isn't a good runner, or is just beginning to run, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

starshine

Shiny_Rock
I've heard great things about the Couch-to-5K program as well. They have an app for iPhone as well, that will cue you to run, etc, as your music plays. I think I'm going to give it a try! I might just be a runner! :o

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I love this app and have been using for over 4 months now. I'm addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I run on a rebounder because I have stuffed knees and whilst is obviously not as good as being outside I have really picked up my fitness and toned up.
Plus I can just roll out of bed and in the floods here in Australia I keep nice and dry :tongue:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1290203084|2773389 said:

Maise - I've measured stretches of road by setting my car's odometer. Going different directions, I know the 1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile, etc., marks.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, good for you! I love running, and can't wait to pop out this baby so I can really get back to it! When I first started running, I was wearing crappy shoes and ended up losing a toenail and developing arthritis in the knees (it had already started, but got worse) and Achilles tendinitis. Get good shoes. I run in Nike Shocks with athletic inserts and its like running on clouds!!!! Also, start slow. Run at a comfortable pace and go for a set distance. Keep increasing your speed until you can run that whole distance without having to stop to walk. Then you can up the distance. (This is how I was able to increase my distance and work on stamina, anyway...) Good luck and have fun!

PS- Please remember to stretch out after every run!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results