shape
carat
color
clarity

"Calling all old cut experts - need help with this ring!"

dralov

Rough_Rock
Hello I am new to this forum and it appears that there is so much knowledge here! Can someone please tell me if this ring is worth the selling price that is being asked. I really love this ring, but I am nervous about making a purchase that may not be worth what I spend. If someone would have asked me years ago would I make a purchase like this I would have said no. I have never been into diamonds, however this ring changed my mind. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/112375884/drop-dead-gorgeous-edwardian-platinum-3?ref=shop_home_active&show_panel=true

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Re: "Calling all old cut experts - need help with this ring!

Hi dralov! it is a lovely ring. from a very objective point of view, I think the price is on the high side. Given that the center stone is around 1.6 carats and the total carat weight is around 2.2, I would have expected a few k lower -maybe 10 to 12 max - for a true antique ring? the stones have no certification, so we have to decide how much to trust the vendor on color and clarity.

However, it sounds like you love the ring, very specifically this one. what are the chances you will fall in love with another one, at a better price? Or how easy would it be for you to re-create something similar? The metal work seems very well made and in perfect condition, though delicate and very feminine. I do not know how much a similar setting would cost, if crafted nowadays. If we compare to Single-Stone settings - among the best in antique style - probably around 5k for the setting alone?

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Only you can tell if this ring is worth the money for you.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

The TCW of the larger diamonds seems to be just shy of 3ct, not 2.2ct. 1 x 1.64 and 2 x 0.65. Plus the Melee of 0.60ct.

I am not an expert on old jewellery so I can't really help much. But it's a lovely ring if you like that style! Certainly would be very impressive!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock

uww, right! thanks misskittycat! I somehow lost the 'a piece' part. apologies.

dralov

Rough_Rock

Hi, My name is Viola. Thank you very much for responding to me. I don't know much about diamonds so can you tell me what you mean when you say, " I would have expected a few k lower -maybe 10 to 12 max - for a true antique ring?" How or who determines the certification of a diamond. Is that the clarity, cut, and color? The price was lowered to 18,000. I guess I should look around. Like I said I can tell you all about a 62 chevy impala and nothing about a diamond. I was just never interested. However this changed my mind. Do you know of a place I should look for that style of ring or how do you go about purchasing diamonds to have them placed in a ring like that? I love old stuff so I guess I would prefer something that was truly old. Sorry for all the questions. I am going to try to read through a few of the tabs. Thank you again, I really do appreciate it.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

dralov|1365717854|3425018 said:
Hi, My name is Viola. Thank you very much for responding to me. I don't know much about diamonds so can you tell me what you mean when you say, " I would have expected a few k lower -maybe 10 to 12 max - for a true antique ring?" How or who determines the certification of a diamond. Is that the clarity, cut, and color? The price was lowered to 18,000. I guess I should look around. Like I said I can tell you all about a 62 chevy impala and nothing about a diamond. I was just never interested. However this changed my mind. Do you know of a place I should look for that style of ring or how do you go about purchasing diamonds to have them placed in a ring like that? I love old stuff so I guess I would prefer something that was truly old. Sorry for all the questions. I am going to try to read through a few of the tabs. Thank you again, I really do appreciate it.

There are lots of ppl that go the eBay route, but I don't recommend it unless you are experienced or have lots of expert help. Otherwise, the two vendors that are highly recommended on PS are:
1. Jewels by Erica Grace (jewelsbyericagrace.com): Lots of antique stones and pre-owned antique rings
2. Adam at Old World Diamonds (http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/): You have to call him as he has more diamonds available than are listed on his site

dralov

Rough_Rock

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I just readded the Carat I think the other replier just overlooked something, Because I know nothing about them, I was trying to find out on the internet if I was suppose to add them differently. SO thank you for helping us.

dralov

Rough_Rock

Thank you, I was searching to find out how to add them correctly:) I thought there was a trick to it:)

dralov

Rough_Rock

Thank you I am going to look at their sites now. No I don't have any expert support except here. I found this site the other night. I actually was on ETSY and found it by accident. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The ring is beautiful Viola! I think though because it doesn't have a certificate from GIA (or EGL though they are considered to be less accurate) you are trusting what the seller says the stones grades are (color, cut, clarity, etc) so that needs to be factored into your decision.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

It's a beautiful ring. Before you purchase, try searching on ebay, langantiques, jewelsbyericagrace to similar rings...I believe that style of ring is called a dinner ring.

Jewels by erica grace (JbEG) has several on their website: http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_2
http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_3

Also, have you tried a ring of that style before? Some people find them uncomfortable because it's very long. Let us know what you decide.

The price does seem high to me as well but it's hard to compare old cut diamonds sometimes...for that price, I would want a GIA certification.

dralov

Rough_Rock

I know it's so pretty, she told me that she has a full return policy no questions asked, just let her know by email or phone within 3 days, I am thinking that if I go with it, I can take it to an appraiser in my area. It's a lot of money, however I've just never really bought myself anything like it. I plan on wearing it everyday:) Thank you for the response.

dralov

Rough_Rock

Hello, Ironically all of my rings are long and big, I just never thought about a diamond ring being that way. I just never even imagined it. A dinner ring, that makes sense . I will look at the site you posted. Is a GIA Certification and a appraisal the same thing. The price she gave was 18,000, what price do you think would be fair? I know that's not an easy question but if you have an idea I'd like to hear it. Thank you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

More than a few PSers have had issues dealing with that seller, in particular if they need to make a return. Her stuff is also very pricey.

dralov

Rough_Rock

Dreamer_D|1365722519|3425062 said:
More than a few PSers have had issues dealing with that seller, in particular if they need to make a return. Her stuff is also very pricey.
That's good to know, I've searched the other sites that were listed and none of them have a ring like that. I offered 15,000 she said that was too low. I'll just keep looking around, it's definitely the look I want. Thank you so much.

dralov

Rough_Rock

maccers|1365718739|3425029 said:
It's a beautiful ring. Before you purchase, try searching on ebay, langantiques, jewelsbyericagrace to similar rings...I believe that style of ring is called a dinner ring.

Jewels by erica grace (JbEG) has several on their website: http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_2
http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_3

Also, have you tried a ring of that style before? Some people find them uncomfortable because it's very long. Let us know what you decide.

The price does seem high to me as well but it's hard to compare old cut diamonds sometimes...for that price, I would want a GIA certification.
Hello, Ironically all of my rings are long and big, I just never thought about a diamond ring being that way. I just never even imagined it. A dinner ring, that makes sense . I will look at the site you posted. Is a GIA Certification and a appraisal the same thing. The price she gave was 18,000, what price do you think would be fair? I know that's not an easy question but if you have an idea I'd like to hear it. Thank you.

dralov

Rough_Rock

biancofiore|1365717314|3425015 said:
uww, right! thanks misskittycat! I somehow lost the 'a piece' part. apologies.
Thank you, I was searching to find out how to add them correctly:) I thought there was a trick to it:)

dralov

Rough_Rock

sortmon|1365718061|3425019 said:
dralov|1365717854|3425018 said:

There are lots of ppl that go the eBay route, but I don't recommend it unless you are experienced or have lots of expert help. Otherwise, the two vendors that are highly recommended on PS are:
1. Jewels by Erica Grace (jewelsbyericagrace.com): Lots of antique stones and pre-owned antique rings
2. Adam at Old World Diamonds (http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/): You have to call him as he has more diamonds available than are listed on his site
Thank you I am going to look at their sites now. No I don't have any expert support except here. I found this site the other night. I actually was on ETSY and found it by accident. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much!!!

dralov

Rough_Rock

biancofiore|1365716394|3425002 said:
Hi dralov! it is a lovely ring. from a very objective point of view, I think the price is on the high side. Given that the center stone is around 1.6 carats and the total carat weight is around 2.2, I would have expected a few k lower -maybe 10 to 12 max - for a true antique ring? the stones have no certification, so we have to decide how much to trust the vendor on color and clarity.

However, it sounds like you love the ring, very specifically this one. what are the chances you will fall in love with another one, at a better price? Or how easy would it be for you to re-create something similar? The metal work seems very well made and in perfect condition, though delicate and very feminine. I do not know how much a similar setting would cost, if crafted nowadays. If we compare to Single-Stone settings - among the best in antique style - probably around 5k for the setting alone?

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Only you can tell if this ring is worth the money for you.
Thank you very much for responding to me. I don't know much about diamonds so can you tell me what you mean when you say, " I would have expected a few k lower -maybe 10 to 12 max - for a true antique ring?" How or who determines the certification of a diamond. Is that the clarity, cut, and color? The price was lowered to 18,000. I guess I should look around. Like I said I can tell you all about a 62 chevy impala and nothing about a diamond. I was just never interested. However this changed my mind. Do you know of a place I should look for that style of ring or how do you go about purchasing diamonds to have them placed in a ring like that? I love old stuff so I guess I would prefer something that was truly old. Sorry for all the questions. I am going to try to read through a few of the tabs. Thank you again, I really do appreciate it.

dralov

Rough_Rock

Dreamer_D|1365722519|3425062 said:
Hey on a different know I read your post about George, your ring is beautiful!!! I'm so glad you found the one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results