shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all new yorkers - Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jack Frost

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have organised a trip to NY for my gf as a christmas present. She has no idea and won''t find out until christmas day however I''ll have anothar surprise in store when we arrive as I intend to propose during our stay. This is the last thing in the world that she''ll expect even though we''ve been going out for seven years and have two children. I think she''s given up on ever getting a ring from me. We arrive on a Friday afternoon and I''ve ruled out doing it then as we''ll probably be tired and possibly a bit jet lagged and I want to make sure it''s perfect and a day she''ll remember for the rest of her life. I have a general plan which is as follows,

Head up to central park on Saturday afternoon, take a carriage ride and get the driver to pull over near the imagine mosaic to "take some pictures". While we are there I''ll say my piece, get down on one knee and propose. Hopefully we can then get back on the carriage and finish the ride before strolling back down to our hotel where there''ll be flowers and champagne in the room with our song "visions of johanna" playing. We''ll chill there for a
while before getting ready for dinner. I intend to book a restaurant in advance as she is a vegetarian and finding a place we both like can be challenging. When we walk out the front of the hotel there''ll be a limo waiting to take us around the city and then drop us off at the restaurant. We can finish the night the way we both like which is in a pub with a few drinks.

What is Strawberry Fields in central park like ? Is it a romantic location and do the carriages go there ? If not can anyone suggest anywhere else ? I suppose I chose it because we both have a strong love of music and it seemed like the right place. I also want somewhere that''s reasonably quiet. Are the carriages covered if it''s raining ? Also, can anyone suggest a good romantic (or different !) restaurant, preferably one that caters for both vegetarians and carnivores like me. Finally, I would welcome all suggestions from anyone on how to improve on this plan or refine it maybe. As I intend to make sure this is the one and only time in my life that I''ll propose, I want to make sure it''s as perfect as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help.

madison

Rough_Rock
A carriage ride in the park is always awesome, if you don't mind a bit of a horsey smell. Yes, they have protection if it rains. Regarding Strawberry fields, like you mentioned it's just a tribute mosiac, which you can definitely tell your driver to take you. But I would suggest the conservatory gardens in Central Park as a more romantic place to propose. This location is very often used in wedding photographs.

As to where to eat that is both Vegetarian and meat...most all restaurants, have at least one vegetarian dish. So if you're already in the park, I would suggest Tavern On The Green, which is very romantic, or The Boathouse cafe which overlooks the lake with row boats for rent. Or better yet they have one gondala with your own gondalier to take you around. (Also a great way to propose)

Hope this helps

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Don't they shut down the boat rentals in the winter? I expect it will be too cold for gondolas at Xmas.

Jack Frost

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. I'll take your advice.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Jack Frost...

I like the carriage ride in the park idea...

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Wow- a carriage ride in December sounds c-c-c-cold. But I'm sure your girlfriend will be thrilled beyond words. A surprise trip to NYC plus a ring... JACKPOT !

For restaurants, I would highly recommend Barbetta or Cafe Des Artistes for a great romantic NY experience; or Erminia if you're looking for a very intimate candlelit setting. Of course whatever restaurant choose, make reservations WAY in advance. The city is packed with tourists that week.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes!

Jack Frost

Rough_Rock
Thanks a million. I'll check them out.

Cheers for the responses.

I will let you know how I get on.

kash37

Rough_Rock
My GF lives in NYC and I'm a vegetarian, The best place is "One if by land two if by sea" - http://www.oneifbyland.com/

I went there, called ahead and asked the chef to prepare a vegetarian meal - it was excellent. The restaurant gets voted the best romantic place in NYC very frequently.

Also there are many Indian restaurants that have plenty of veggie selections. If that's your kind of food - check out "Tabla". I recently went to cafe des artis - very nice place. Has many veggie selections and they will make something special. Don't be surprised if you more than one proposal.

Jack Frost

Rough_Rock
Well I have almost put the finishing touches to the day and would appreciate some last bits of advice. We fly out from Dublin on the 9th of January and will be staying in Manhattan. When we wake up on the 10th we'll be having breakfast in bed so that I can delay us from going out till 11am. A limo is picking us up at 11 to take us on a 3 hour sightseeing trip around the city. We will then be dropped off at central park where i've booked lunch in the Tavern on the Green. After that we'll take a carriage ride around the park and then on to the wollman rinc to go ice skating. I know she'll love this as she's being saying how much she wants to skate for ages now. Then back to the hotel where there'll be champagne on ice and we can chill there for a while. Then off to the ESB to take in the city lights. I booked dinner in L'Allegria as it's the only place I could find with a menu I know she'd be happy with. Then on to a Bar for a few night caps.

The only thing I need to figure out now is when to propose. I really want to suprise her with it but I think she'll figure it out the second she sees the limo. I'm thinking maybe I can delay her for ten minutes, run down and give the Limo driver a CD with our song to have playing as we get in and a card on the seat with Open me written on it. So we head down at about 11.10am, she thinks we're going shopping or whatever, I walk over to the limo and ask her to jump in. Let her read the card then get down on one knee, produce the ring and give my corny speech. I like the fact that it's private and that it will defintley surprise her but I don't know if it's romantic enough. If I wait for the ice skating or whatever the surprise will be ruined and both of us will be "on edge" until the moment. How would you feel about this, would you consider it romantic enough ?

Also, if anyone knows anything about L'Allegria, good or bad, i'd love to hear about it.

Many Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results