shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all jewellers and some!!! re. WG plating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the opportunity to purchase a diamond tennis bracelet for a very good price. The only think is, that it is 14ct yellow gold (which I want) but it has been plated in 9ct white gold. Granted it looks fabulous, however I wear yellow gold! Is it possible to have the plating removed so that the bracelet is completely restored back to it''s former yellow gold glory? Or is this risky business? TIA!

DetroitNurse

Rough_Rock
I had received a ring that was originally yellow gold that my guy thought I would like better in white. He had it rhodium dipped, which from what I learned is how white gold is born (who knew?!). I took it back to the jeweler and they removed the plate. I wore that yellow gold ring with no problems for 20 years. I''m not a jeweler though...best to get an expert opinion.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It shouldn’t be a problem. Talk to your jeweler. For some of it they may polish it off and for some of it they may plate yellow on top of the white or a combination of the two but either way they can get it back to yellow for you.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

togal

Shiny_Rock
I recently went to a jeweler and had my YG right hand ring rhodium plated (don''t ask me why...I just got bored and had too much time on my hands, I guess). It looked fine, if you like the look of white gold, but after 24 hours, I decided I really missed the YG, so I went back the following day, and within minutes, it was back to yellow gold. The jeweller told me that it takes 45 minutes to rhodium plate it, and 5 minutes to turn it back to YG. It looked as good as new when he was done.

Also, going from white gold to YG doesn''t really work so well in my experience. I had this done on a jewellery piece also, and the gold plating doesn''t look very nice....kind of dull and brassy -- not the same as if it was cast in YG. I don''t recommend this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results