shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all idealscope experts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
What are your thoughts on this idealscope picture? I am unsure about what to look for and thought I should ask the people who deal with this on a daily basis.

lkheysh.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fine to me from what I can see but the pic is blurred and indistinct, is it possible to make the picture clearer please?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need to use back lighting.
The image was improperly taken and cant be used.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 5:04:17 AM
Author: strmrdr
Need to use back lighting.
The image was improperly taken and cant be used.
Thanks matey!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I guess I see more stones like this - I would not buy this - the outer facets (upper girdle) are weaker, and there is slight leakage in the table area.
It is probably about HCA 2.5 - 3.0

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your expertise...I did NOT buy this diamond. For my information, what does "dug" and "painted" mean, and how can you tell from this image? Just so I can look for it later on. Thanks in advance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 12:39:56 PM
Author: cougarrx
Thanks for your expertise...I did NOT buy this diamond. For my information, what does 'dug' and 'painted' mean, and how can you tell from this image? Just so I can look for it later on. Thanks in advance.

This page explains if you have time to read it all.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/45/1/Visible-Effects-of-Painting--Digging-on-Superideal-Diamonds.aspx

Brief Overview.

Q: What are painting & digging?

A: They are approaches taken in final stages of polish, or brillianteering.

Painting shifts upper/lower girdle facets toward the mains so angles are closer together. The result is that average girdle thickness where the half junctions meet is greater than average thickness where the mains meet (diagram below).

Q: Why Paint or Dig?

1) To try and retain weight at critical points: If a diamond is close to a commercially important weight the painting approach may be used because less material is polished away. On the example below normal indexing would result in a finished diamond weighing 0.99 ct. Painting to 4 degrees - particularly on the pavilion's long lower girdle facets - allows the commercially important 1.00 ct mark to be 'saved.'

2) To improve a verbal description of girdle thickness or clarity: For example, a very thick girdle may be dug out enough so that it will appear only 'slightly thick' to the grader, or an inclusion could be dug-out in order to improve the clarity grade.

3) Relative to crown-only painting: To acquire desirable visual properties. A measure of crown-only painting on 'superideal' diamonds can improve the diamond's brightness and increase the amount of visible broadfire dispersion.

Q: Why is it said that Painting & Digging are bad?

A: Because the most common uses of painting & digging are 'swindling strategies' in answers 1 and 2, above. What is not commonly known is that a measure of crown-only painting on superideal makes can be used to acquire desirable visual properties. Remember that the 'superideal' category of diamonds makes up less than 1% of all round diamonds produced.

The purpose of this article is to illustrate the differences between crown-only painting (which can be positive) and pavilion painting or digging of any kind (which are negative).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results