shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all gurus

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ubdumass

Rough_Rock
Why is there a big difference in pricing??? GIA15248170 at $9200 vs. GIA15320334 at $10084? Do you think $9200 is a misprint or is "Excellent" in Polish wrth $800?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that''s what they call me...

need carat weights.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ubdm. I am not a guru, but as a consumer, here''s what I was told. My dealer explained to me that when a stone is polished, it loses carat weight. If two stones of equal carat weight are very different in polish, the less well-polished stone would lose carat weight if it were polished up to the same level as the other. Then they wouldn''t be a comparable size.

How much weight a diamond would lose in going from a Good to an Excellent, for example, is something for the experts to answer. If the two diamonds are at one of those price-break levels, I can see where the pricing differences might be magnified.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a guru, but you''ll get more responses if you post the specs on the diamonds.

ubdumass

Rough_Rock
Sorry - Here are the stats.

GIA 15248170
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.16 - 7.20 x 4.41 mm
Carat Weight: 1.39
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 61.4 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 34°
Crown Height: 14.5 %
Pavilion Angle: 41°
Pavilion Depth: 43 %
Star length: 55 %
Lower Half: 80 %
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint

GIA 15320334
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.08 - 7.11 x 4.41 mm
Carat Weight: 1.36
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 62.2 %
Table: 55 %
Crown Angle: 35°
Crown Height: 15.5 %
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43 %
Star length: 50 %
Lower Half: 75 %
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the first one slightly better..it''s a tiny bit larger, too! Sounds like a good deal!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Diamondseeker, I like the first one better too - doesn''t seem worth the price difference from VG to EX in Polish. Just to make sure though ubdm, were both prices for cash, or one for a credit card? You may just want to double check the payment terms on both.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
IMO this is a good example of the the con of trying to shop a diamond online by just viewing the specs. "On paper" the difference between the diamonds is seemingly only the polish (and also the proportions of the second are more ideal btw) but the only way to really have a sense of the superiority of one over the other at this level of detail is to see them. not what anyone wants to hear but the truth.

then again it could just be the vendor's cost on the one diamond was better than the other :) lol

ubdumass

Rough_Rock
Star - Both are cash prices only.

DBM - I am somewhat confused. Isn''t the worth of a diamond based solely upon its report card? I understand the location of the imperfections would mean a lot, but wouldn''t that be captured by clarity? I would, of course, like to examine each diamond physically, but that becomes impossible at times.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
example such as Hearts and Arrows stones vs a commonly cut stone with good proportions.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also not a guru, but I agree with Seeks and Starry I like the first one better.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
DBM - I am somewhat confused. Isn''t the worth of a diamond based solely upon its report card?

Bite your tongue!! :)

the certificate certainly helps give you a bearing about a particular stone but the ultimate consideration of a stone''s quality and value is only in seeing it, regardless of how much light reflection and metrics you have on paper. the paper doesnt tell you everything (as many will agree and advocate for better, more thorough certificates and metrics)

It''s like online dating. You see this spec and that spec and after a while you get a general sense of who the person is and what not, but you still can''t ultimately take two profiles of two people, compare and contrast the pros and cons, and then marry whoever balances out better on paper. :)

Don''t get me wrong from the certificates of your two stones we have a pretty good idea that the two stones are excellent quality and beautiful but as far as knowing exactly why one is higher priced than the other you can''t really say with any accuracy without seeing the stone.

this is my take on this issue. i''ve been saying it over and over again in the threads (i''ll probably give up soon :) ) while i know many would disgree with me. i respect other people''s opinion but i still have my position. you''re not buying paper!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results