shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Fancy Shape Owners

What is the shape of your e-ring center stone and why did you choose it over a RB?

• Emerald or Asscher

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other - please explain

• Cushion or Flanders

• Oval

• Marquise

• Heart

• Trillion

• Old Miner or Old European

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I''m going to jump in even though I don''t have a ring... LOL

I always thought I wanted a fancy shape diamond, but then I was told (by mom of course) that the RB is the sparkliest of all shapes. So I figured I''d get a RB center stone. I like the sparkle!

But last year my dad bought my mom a 3c RB ROCK to replace the 0.75c one he proposed to her with. At the time he proposed, he told her it was 1c! And when her younger sisters got married they compared rings and my mom''s was always a bit smaller, but she just figured maybe her diamond had a deeper cut. It wasn''t until YEARS later that she found out my dad lied... and when she told him, he just laughed. She didn''t care, but they thought it was funny as hell. My mom has already told me that all her jewelry will go to me when she passes so now I''m drifting back over to maybe getting a fancy shape for my ering, but I have yet to try any on.

hmmm.jpg

me playing with my mom''s ring last year. it''s quite the dazzler!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
MaryAlaina, you know why I love you? Because you''re a gal who understand that a woman can never have too many rocks!!!!

Awww, thanks NJC.
1.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is an Old English Brilliant (2ct) - a form of the OEC cut. I chose it because I liked the way it looked and sparkled.

I also have a modern rb (0.84ct) which I really like, but not as much as my OEC, and a pear cut solitaire which is really pretty.

If I was going to get other shapes
11.gif
they would be an emerald cut, followed by a royal asscher.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any more fancy cut owners out there? Keep them coming
emsmile.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my Regent. Love, love, love it. 1.85 ct, F color, SI1.

Sqreg.jpg

Marathoner

Rough_Rock
I've always wanted a fancy shape. I was planning on an EC until I tried on an Asscher. 2.03 carats, G/VS1

Marathoner

Rough_Rock
dscn0793.html

Phooey. It's not working. I'll have to get my husband to help me.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My .90ct E VVS2 marquise:
marquise%20on%20hand%20in%20sun.jpg

marquise%20outside.jpg

I love the way marquise stones accentuate my fingers!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Loose 1.50ct F VS2 Emerald:
emerald%20loose%20diamond%20on%20hand.jpg

emerald%20loose%20diamond%20on%20hand%202.jpg

As you can see, I prefer longer diamonds!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
both stones together:
marquise%20&%20emerald%20comaprison.jpg

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Fortekitty, I''ve always loved your beautiful slender hands. If those rounds continue to just "not do it for you" by all means send them where I can guarantee they will be loved......
11.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
I''ll keep that in mind!
9.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only is mine not round, it''s not a diamond but a mixed cushion cut spinel (see my avatar). RBs have always been my least favorite shape. My right hand ring is almost identical to iceladys but the quality of my radiant is not as good. I don''t know why I''m drawn to the squares and if I were to buy another diamond I''d have a difficult time choosing between my favorites which are cushion (antique & modern), regent, royal asscher.

I have always been in love with emerald cuts. I guess I find their clean lines so appealing.

I also love anything art deco, and emerald cuts were very popular in during that era. Three stone emerald cuts remind me of art deco designs - even beautiful buildings like one would see in New York City.

These photos are terrible! The ring is in transit to Whiteflash to be reset into platinum -- I miss HER!!! (Thank GOODNESS for this website. Seeing everyone''s rings is getting me through this...difficult time. he-he)

rename12901.JPG

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I had a 1.02 radiant-cut center stone in my e-ring, with .60 each emerald-cut sapphires, until we just upgraded.
This is my old e-ring:

ring1.jpg

And this is my new 2.19 marquise center stone e-ring, (sorry about the poor pics):

newring.jpg
newringprofile.jpg

newringside.jpg

I have never cared for RB center diamonds because they always looked fake to me. Probably because most of the CZs you used to see were all round. Also, I like to have things that are unique, and lots of people have RB e-rings.

sdm

Rough_Rock
I have a .93, D, vvs1 pear engagement ring. When I was looking I debated between a pear and an oval (these were the only shapes I was considering). The pear won out, and I've been very happy with it. Coincidentally (or not), my twin sister also chose a pear for her engagement ring.

pear_ring.jpg

Agape

Rough_Rock
I chose a heart because I liked the shape of the emerald and the flash of the round. It was the perfect compromise. Also helps that my birthday is around Valentines Day.
19.gif

fuzzypill

Rough_Rock
I knew from the very beginning that I did not want a round brilliant - simply because it''s so common. I really wanted to get something unique and when I saw radiant cuts, I just fell in love!! Here''s my precious (1.5 ct radiant cut F/VS2):

218447533vFiGgq_ph.jpg

I"m still trying to find a home/setting for my lovely sparkly..........

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any newbies with fancy shapes want to join in?

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love princess cuts and lots of color. Not the best of pics, sorry.

mbhn.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 11:38:59 PM
Author: MaryAlaina
Date: 11/16/2004 4:53:32 PM

Author: cflutist

Any more fancy cut owners want to post a picture? Would love to see an Asscher?

Here''s my 1.77ct I color/IF asscher:

whiteflash2.jpg

But I didn''t pick an asscher over a round. I have 3 rounds (.99ct, 1.64ct, 2.28ct), a 2.01 ct. pear, a 1.01 ct. marquise, a 1.12 ct. radiant (light yellow). I alternate wearing all of them as my ering. I just love the variety!

Here''s a picture of all but the asscher (plus a few extra ;-) ):

handful.jpg
I am feeling a tad jealous of MaryAlina
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooooh YAY.

Excuse my pear in advance...she loves photo shoots and wanted me to post a collage.

1.5 ct D VS2 pear, l to w ratio 1.56

I chose her because she just SANG to me when I saw her, and I''m very partial to pears as my mom had a gorgeous one that I admired constantly when I was growing up.

Also, the stones in the band qualify since they''re Lucida from Tiffany''s, which is a modified square cut.
2.gif

francollage.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
My ering center stone is an RB, but I do have a beautiful 1.51 ct H, VS1 emerald cut whose new setting I am expecting any day now. I will wear this ring on my right hand. I''ll post pictures when it arrives.

FireGoddess -- I''m very excited to see your pear''s new home as soon as it''s done. I hope the wax will be here ASAP and it will be done to your exact specifications!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, look at those pictures of your pear, sooooo pretty!! Hope all goes well with your jeweler!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me three Demelza and Kaleigh!!!...I called and the wax is supposed to be in sometime tomorrow (Saturday)... *wishing*wishing*wishing*!!!

Demelza - hope your setting comes soon...can't wait to see your EC!

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
I''ve got an asscher, 0.90 carats...it''s not set yet, but it''s in my avatar. I picked it because I wanted something different from an RB, but also really elegant and classy. Plus I love step cuts.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
I''m not a newbie but here''s another picture of my e-ring.

Emerald cut, .79 center stone, 2 ct tw, size 6.

I picked almost this setting exactly when I was 12 (13 years ago) and told my now- FI the story of it. He got one almost exactly like the one I saw- but this one has princess channel set stones in the band.

Enjoy :) I sure do!

flowerering.JPG

perl8429

Rough_Rock
I voted for cushion. My reason is exactly the same as yours cflutist! I am a musician too...and I love the original and unique fancy cut stones. When my hubby first proposed....we bought a diamond we could afford. It was a great 0.78 K-L colour (still faced up as white is 98% lights), SI2,,....but I have always wanted a 1 carat.

Then after we paid off the wedding, (two months after our wedding date) he ups surprises me by telling me that he has saved up for my new diamond! We did a lot of research and I found that I was totally drawn to the cushion cut diamonds. And believe me....in Canada .... since few jewellers know about it....they have nothing but negative things to say about it. Hubby bought me a 1.03 carrat cushion cut J colour (GIA independent guy said that it could pass easily as a high I diamond?) VS1 clarity, very good cut. It''s soooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I took the stone to the jeweller who spoke negatively about cushion cut diamonds, and he was flooooooored by how beautiful it was. He said that he did not know how much cushions have changed since they originally came out?

I love my round brilliant, and have not yet decided what I will do with it.

Smiles,
perl8429

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results