shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling All Estate Jewelry Collectors and Purists

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve fallen in love with an Edwardian ring, but I would have to have it sized up if I buy it.

Question: Would changing the ring size compromise the integrity of the piece?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, MB...

When you say "integrity", I presume you mean the the ''antiqueness'' of the piece?

I''m not an expert, but I''d think that as long as the appearance of the ring isn''t altered, then resizing it would be fine. I suppose "messing up" engraving or something might diminish the value a bit, but that wouldn''t stop me if I really loved the ring.

I do know that if there is a date, inscription, important hallmark, etc ...it''s important that the sizing not obliterate that if at all possible.

Well.......where''s the picture????? I''m dying to see it!
3.gif

widget

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
chances are, it''s been resized at some point before. unless you are going up in size *significantly* or interfering with the overall design, it''s probably fine.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yes, pictures please!!
3.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Widget and Belle. Widget, you are right - I was referring to the antiqueness of the ring. The metals they use today might not have the same composition as the metals they used then. The ring is in the store, so I can't post a picture. The diamonds are OEC'S (not large, but full of fire) set in platinum with lots of lacy filigree, and the design follows the shape of a violin. The shank is yellow gold. It's exquisite work. There is no engraving or signature in the shank. I probably could wear it as a pinky ring if it would have to be sized up too much.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What they said---about integrity/character and pictures!! BTW, about the metal content--what is it currently? Some unique combo and color?

cheers--Sharon

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Sharon. The top of the ring is platinum, and the shank is yellow gold. (They did a lot of platinum on top of yellow gold in the Edwardian era.) You can''t see the shank at all when the ring is on your hand. I''m not sure if the alloys they use for yellow gold now are different from the ones they used then.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results