shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all emerald experts

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been looking for an emerald for a while and think I might have found the one. I loved Elle’s esme and wanted an emerald with similar color and glow.

I was looking for a cushion, minor oil, Colombian emerald with a bluish tint and that lit from inside glow. I don’t mind if it’s a little lighter than AAA+ (I don’t have the budget for that!) and don’t mind a little inclusion as long as the stone is vivid and glows.

Calling on all colored stone experts for advice on this stone. Does it check all the boxes? Did I miss anything? Is it worth the $4500+ per carat price?

Can someone please tell me how to add a video on this thread?

Attachments

• IMG_2731.png
    IMG_2731.png
    412.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2730.jpeg
    IMG_2730.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 30

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm no expert, but I personally love the color. It's beautiful.

It looks decently sized as well, and the clarity is very good. I can't speak to PPC as I don't know the weight, origin or treatment level.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert either!
Can’t really tell - but I get the impression of an off center keel that’ll be making a tilt window more noticeable from one direction. Harder to tell if it’d be annoying or forgiveable when set/worn.

Forgiving on cut parameter like this for lovely glow, color, minor oil and size - I’d understand! :lol:

As been said, hard to give opinion on that price per carat without knowing at least ballpark carat the stone is.

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I'm no expert, but I personally love the color. It's beautiful.

It looks decently sized as well, and the clarity is very good. I can't speak to PPC as I don't know the weight, origin or treatment level.

Thank you everyone for your response!

I loved the color and shape too. It is 3.15 carat 9.7x8.7mm face up which I thought was quite small. The vendor says it is minor oil only. I don’t know anything about the cut but I will ask the vendor about it. I’m not sure if the cut bothers me as much as color or vividness. Does the price $4900@carat sound reasonable?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Again, no expert, so I hope others who are more familiar with buying chime in, but personally a would say it's going retail.
Is it some great deal? No, but good luck finding one unless you know what you're doing. I don't.
I'm assuming it's the clarity that's driving it. I could be wrong, though.
It's hard to say without having it in hand. They behave differently on film. Nuance is lost. Emeralds are incredibly price fickle.
I would like a better cut, but I can forgive for such a beautiful color/clarity.
It also helps to get a video on the hand if you can to get a closer look at the stone and color.

Another retail vendor, check out JR and peruse to get a feel at their pricing/color grading. Always good to get comparisons.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I haven't followed pricing for a few years but $4500-$4900/ct seems high for this size, tone, and saturation, no?!

Minor Oil is defined by which lab?

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I haven't followed pricing for a few years but $4500-$4900/ct seems high for this size, tone, and saturation, no?!

Minor Oil is defined by which lab?
Lab is GRS. Honestly I don’t know about prices because they seem to be all over the place and as a newbie I can’t tell what is driving the price up or down because they all look pretty much the same in the pictures.

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I have two more contenders for emeralds…the smaller cushion is 2.26 and the bigger emerald cut stone is 2.79. Both minor oil and both muzo. Which of the two is better?

badabling

Shiny_Rock
Again, no expert, so I hope others who are more familiar with buying chime in, but personally a would say it's going retail.
Is it some great deal? No, but good luck finding one unless you know what you're doing. I don't.
I'm assuming it's the clarity that's driving it. I could be wrong, though.
It's hard to say without having it in hand. They behave differently on film. Nuance is lost. Emeralds are incredibly price fickle.
I would like a better cut, but I can forgive for such a beautiful color/clarity.
It also helps to get a video on the hand if you can to get a closer look at the stone and color.

Another retail vendor, check out JR and peruse to get a feel at their pricing/color grading. Always good to get comparisons.

Thank you and I have checked out both jrcolombianemeralds and George from
Muzo emeralds but they both seem much higher end. Of course they probably have better quality stones too.

I don’t expect to get a bargain just a fair retail price. I don’t have a huge budget and as a newbie I’m afraid to even go higher at this point. I just want the best stone within my budget.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think $4500/cr for a minor oil (GRS) and a 3-+ carat stone, of that color and clarity, seems reasonable. It’s not a steal, but I could easily see a retailer charging $8000/ct. Of course this is all based on photos, and if they’re accurate.

As for the stone being “small,” a 3+ carat emerald will face up quite large. It will look almost twice the size of a similar size sapphire, for example.

Megan Hill

Rough_Rock
I love the color!! The price seems fair for its quality. JR's 3.81 carat emerald looks good, but it has some visible black dots, which greatly lowers the value of the stone. in addition, they don`t specify the degree of treatment of the stone, which is also important.

Reactions: T L

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I am in the minority along with @T L in thinking that the price per carat is within reason if the stone is as described. And if GRS certified it as minor oil, I'd feel comfortable. So, yes, I think it does tick all of your boxes. As a few others have pointed out, the cut isn't great, but it's not terrible either. Sometimes it's a give and take when buying, and you just have to decide what factors are important to you while staying on budget. Good luck!

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I found a couple others on JR Colombian emeralds but I’m worried if they would be too light IRL. I’ve realized I like the glow more than the deep green color of an old mine Muzo. Do the cuts in the JR stones look strange on the bottom? Also they seem more included than the first three stones.

I guess this one would be my ideal in terms of color, shape, size and glow but sadly the budget does not allow.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I still love the first emerald you showed best.

It has the best of everything for me at least as far as I can see in images. Do you know what their return policy is?

My rank of the other two would would be...
#2 smaller cushion looks very similar to the first in tone/color on my monitor. Not bad at all either!
#3 would be the emerald cut from same vendor. Also lovely.

The Jr's are nice, but they lack saturation and I don't know how pricing stacks up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish JR would state the amount of treatment in all their pricier listings. That makes a huge difference in price. The third JR listing is the only one that states the amount of treatment, which is moderate. This s why a 5+ carat stone is $16k and not $30k. I would prefer minor oil (and determined from a major lab).

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It has the best of everything for me at least as far as I can see in images. Do you know what their return policy is?

#2 smaller cushion looks very similar to the first in tone/color on my monitor. Not bad at all either!

The Jr's are nice, but they lack saturation and I don't know how pricing stacks up.

I find JR on the pricier side for the quality as of late, but JMO.

badabling

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for your recommendations!! I agree the first is the best but it’s double the price of the other two. I was leaning toward the emerald just because it was cleaner and looked bigger but I so wanted a cushion cut…I’m not a fan of the sharp edges of an emerald cut especially since I want to set it in a vintage style.

JR’s are cheaper but I agree the stones are not as saturated or as clean. Also the moderate treatment is a big drawback.

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I wish JR would state the amount of treatment in all their pricier listings. That makes a huge difference in price. The third JR listing is the only one that states the amount of treatment, which is moderate. This s why a 5+ carat stone is $16k and not $30k. I would prefer minor oil (and determined from a major lab).

Thank you for responding! I do agree on the minor oil treatment… it’s just that I wanted a big stone but I guess I’ll have to get that another day when the budget is bigger.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @ItsMainelyYou
The first one would be my pick within your parameters and what you’ve shown.

Have you seen the lab report - they have it or it’s what they expect?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your recommendations!! I agree the first is the best but it’s double the price of the other two. I was leaning toward the emerald just because it was cleaner and looked bigger but I so wanted a cushion cut…I’m not a fan of the sharp edges of an emerald cut especially since I want to set it in a vintage style.

JR’s are cheaper but I agree the stones are not as saturated or as clean. Also the moderate treatment is a big drawback.

Well, then it's ruminating on what you want and what is most comfortable pricewise to you, because it has to both of those things.
The smaller cushion is very similar color wise and the jardin is pleasing, so a real contender if you don't want to spend boku bucks on the bigger stone.
Which one sings to you?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like the color & saturation of the 1st emerald you showed best. I love the cushion shape too (it was what I was originally looking for when I found Esme). I’m certainly no expert, but the price seems fair. And of course, as other users have mentioned, the cut isn’t as good as one may like. One thing I’d recommend is getting video of the stone on someone’s fingers. It’s a really good way to gauge the stone’s cutting & if it has any overwhelming windowing.

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I personally like the color & saturation of the 1st emerald you showed best. I love the cushion shape too (it was what I was originally looking for when I found Esme). I’m certainly no expert, but the price seems fair. And of course, as other users have mentioned, the cut isn’t as good as one may like. One thing I’d recommend is getting video of the stone on someone’s fingers. It’s a really good way to gauge the stone’s cutting & if it has any overwhelming windowing.

Hi…I’m so glad you responded!! I wrote to the vendor asking for a stone that had the same color and glow as your Esme!!! I love how it looks and that setting is to die for!!

badabling

Shiny_Rock
Well, then it's ruminating on what you want and what is most comfortable pricewise to you, because it has to both of those things.
The smaller cushion is very similar color wise and the jardin is pleasing, so a real contender if you don't want to spend boku bucks on the bigger stone.
Which one sings to you?

I’m torn between all three!!! I’ve asked for a little time to think it over…maybe one will speak out louder to me.

Thank you everyone for your help!!! PS community’s honest feedback has been invaluable!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results