shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all EGL stone owners or those who purchased EGL and returned

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
I have heard the experts bash the EGL certs a dozen times. (I am continually shown EGL certed stones in my quest for a diamond--although not convinced that I should end up with one.) But I am curious about those out there who bought EGL certed stones.

I am curious about tales of people who bought their EGL stone and it lived up to what it was supposed to be (according to independent examination). I am also wondering about those out there who bought an EGL stone only to return it.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Googleman,

EGL, has always been a hotly debated issue.
Many have found fault with the purchase of diamonds
with mis-representative information.

This is a very valid concern!

No lab is 100% accurate, and it is that very inaccuracy, and the degrees there of,
which could result in an over-payment for a
mis-represented stone.

Let the buyer beware!

Kirk
www.diamondoptics.com

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had a chat with one of Israel's largest exporter / cutters on Wednesday and he is concerned about the variability and softness of GIA grades. He uses mainly GIA and AGS and knows his stuff. He spoke of increasing standards of some of the other labs.

The fact that EGL use the SI3 grade appears to have put presure on the major best respected labs who are giving much easier grades on SI2 for stones that would years ago heav been I1.

So maybe sometimes an SI3 is a better grade than an SI2 from a lab that does not issue SI3 gradings.

Hmmm

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
As I have said before, I have an EGL 3c stone. The color grade held up nicely. According to appraiser, the SI1 grade was closer to SI2. The price reflected such and the stone knocked me out when I saw it. I saw several GIA certed stones that were dogs.

As long as you know what you are buying (i.e. have it checked out by an outside appraiser), then I wouldn't care what cert a stone had.

Again, as I said before, find someone who will be your advocate.

hugodrax

Rough_Rock
stay away from EGL, today for the heck of it I looked at stones, someone showed me a EGL that had VS2 on the cert but the diamond had a big crystal on the table and it was obvious, it should have been I2 not VS2

powerslave

Rough_Rock
Hey googleman, i recently purchased an EGL stone and it recently evaluated as a better stone then what the cert said. Both the clarity and color were graded 1 grade lower on the cert. I had a feeling just looking at it that the stone looked better then advertized. So in my case, EGL turned out to be a very good experience
2.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
yes,in my opinion,E.G.L tends to give "the benefit of doubt" when it comes to grading,if the stone is "border line" they in most cases will give the better color,an/or the better clarity.And usually once you mount it you cannot tell the difference!But make sure the price is less then other labs. as these do go for less money and gives you the benefit of maybe getting a bigger stone for your money.

wavey.gif

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
I have not had my EGL stone independently certified, but am happy with our purchase because I was able to get "more" for our money. I am sure I could have found a better stone, but would have paid more. I would put more research into future diamond purchases, but I certainly don't enjoy this rock any LESS just because it's EGL.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results