shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all cushion experts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend of 6 years finally suggested going to look at rings this weekend! I live in NYC and I would like a cushion-cut stone. Do you know of any places here with a decent selection of cushion rings to try on for ideas (not necessarilyto purchase)? Also, any cushion buying advice? I''ve searched through cushion-related threads on this board and have seen some good pointers, but would be eager to learn even more.

Thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Look at the Jubilee cut that GoodOldGold sells. Possibly other also have this sort of high performance cushion cut, too. Many cushions will be offered that are older cut style. They may look different and good, but they may not perform as well as modern cut diamonds. Beware of the lack of standards in the market as to what makes a well cut cushion. Most old ones and many modern ones are overly deep and therefore do not look as large as they ought to for their weight.

A cushion is one of the most difficult diamonds to locate if you want a higher quality stone. There is no shortage of old, somewhat lower color ones, but really well proportioned ones in better qualities are rather scarce in supply. My daughter wears a nice sized old cut cushion which she loves. While it isn''t a high quality or fine color diamond, it looks great in the old platinum setting that it came in from 75 years ago. Different strokes! Good luck with the shopping and don''t let anyone pressure you to be impulsive. After 6 years, this is no time to rush and make a costly mistake.

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
Thanks David! I saw that some cushion buyers on here have used a combination of cut recommendations for oval and radiant-- is that a fairly good benchmark?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, that's certainly not me (an expert by any stretch) but I suggest that you figure out what type of look you want. A modern look, an antique look, or a mix!

GOG has a nice write up on the cushion on their web site. GO check it out!

But I don't understand why up top, GOG posts a picture the modern brilliant stone but then doesn't include a sample plot showing the facet pattern of the modern brilliant stone and says the tutorial is dedicated to the traditional cuts!!! You can check out what it looks like by looking at the H&A cushion plot. It looks the same on the *cert*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results