shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all cushion experts - these specs don''t make sense to me - help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
Wife and I visited a local "jewelry exchange" in NJ just to take a look at some stones and setting examples. We have an apptmt with Mark T in a week, but wanted to do some eyeshopping ourselves. Came across a modified cushion whose specs and price looked too good to be true. I told the guy that it didn''t make sense to me, especially the $10,690 price, but he looked at me straight in the eye and said that he bought it from a motivated seller and that business is tough for him and he wants to unload it. First of all, it''s an EGL, so I started out skeptical. I expect the color and clarity to be inaccurate relative to GIA, but the dimensions made no sense to me. Can you help me whether you think there are any typos here - he claims there are none. In terms of eye appeal, we really loved it. The specs and price leave us skeptical - so strange.

Here are the specs:
EGL
G VS2
2.01ct
7.5x7.5x4.95
table 66%
depth 66%
crown 11%
girdle slightly thick faceted
Symmetry - good
polish - very good
culet - none
fluorescence - distinct blue

$10,690

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly which EGL lab graded this diamond? Do you know if it is EGL USA, Israel etc? EGL USA are said to be the strongest of the EGL labs. It is really difficult to judge a cushion by numbers as there is so much info missing, what I would recommend if you like this one is to get an independant appraisal on the diamond during any return policy ( and get it in writing) that you can return the diamond for any reason within that time should it not check out to be as stated for colour and clarity. The table and depth are of the same size, usually it is preferable for the depth to be greater than the table, but without seeing the diamond it is hard to judge.

Appraiser list

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure which EGL lab. your input is great. What puzzled me most were the dimensions. Either the carat weight is understated, or the dimensions are completely wrong. For 2.01ct weight, I would expect the L and W to be about .30-.40mm lower given the 4.95mm depth. strange.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
That could be due to the way the angles of the facets are cut, maybe shallower than what you normally see, so relatively less volume for the dimension. No way of knowing unless you do a detail scan of the stone''s dimensions.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 8:36:24 AM
Author: ddcha
I''m not sure which EGL lab. your input is great. What puzzled me most were the dimensions. Either the carat weight is understated, or the dimensions are completely wrong. For 2.01ct weight, I would expect the L and W to be about .30-.40mm lower given the 4.95mm depth. strange.

My thoughts are that it probably won''t have a lot of fire because it has a reaaaaally low crown height. That combined with the depth/table being the same (and the table being large) makes me think that this stone likely will be a dud compared to many cushions. And a really low crown will give you a bit more spread for your money, but you''ll lose out on fire.

But as we all know cushions don''t have hard and fast rules-so my analysis could be wrong...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 8:36:24 AM
Author: ddcha
Depth doesn''t always relate to spread in fancy shapes in the same way as rounds so difficult to say really, fancy shapes can retain weight or lack of in different ways. I would hold on with this one until you see Mark T, then see what he can come up with, if you like this diamond maybe you could do a refundable deposit which would hold it until you can compare with some others.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
When it comes to cushions, I would trust my eye more than I would the numbers. But do test it under various light settings and compare it with other cushions if you can. What looks good alone may pale in comparison to another, well cut stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results