color
clarity

Call the Midwife

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1366388978|3430495 said:
Hi,

The show airs on Sunday Evening at 7p.m. central time. We have already had 3 episodes.

Annette

Thanks - I will definitely look out for it. That's a surprisingly early time for a new show, but then again, I don't know much about central time :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remembered there was a thread about this show, and when I had nothing in particular to watch on Netflix the other night, I tried it. I watched three episodes in one night. I couldn't believe how good it was. If I had read this thread, maybe I would have tried the show sooner. I never watch medical shows, though, and so I avoided it. Had I realized it was set in 1950's London among the working class and shown so much about their lives, I wouldn't have been so squeamish.

I love The Book Thread because it introduces me to books I would otherwise never find. I need Pricescopers to tell me a little about a book so that I know if it would interest me. I believe the same is true of videos. I needed to read about what "Call The Midwife" was like in order to know if I would like it. I found this to be pretty historically accurate. (I grew up in he 1950's and the protagonist could have been my mother with the way she looked and dressed, also her being educated and a lady in a profession in that era when not that many women were professionals and not many ladies chose jobs that brought them into "the real world".)

At any rate, I felt I had to go looking for this thread so that I could add my 2 cents to it. :))

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I remembered there was a thread about this show, and when I had nothing in particular to watch on Netflix the other night, I tried it. I watched three episodes in one night. I couldn't believe how good it was. If I had read this thread, maybe I would have tried the show sooner. I never watch medical shows, though, and so I avoided it. Had I realized it was set in 1950's London among the working class and shown so much about their lives, I wouldn't have been so squeamish.

I love The Book Thread because it introduces me to books I would otherwise never find. I need Pricescopers to tell me a little about a book so that I know if it would interest me. I believe the same is true of videos. I needed to read about what "Call The Midwife" was like in order to know if I would like it. I found this to be pretty historically accurate. (I grew up in he 1950's and the protagonist could have been my mother with the way she looked and dressed, also her being educated and a lady in a profession in that era when not that many women were professionals and not many ladies chose jobs that brought them into "the real world".)

At any rate, I felt I had to go looking for this thread so that I could add my 2 cents to it. :))

If you like the Call the Midwife show, the book trilogy is excellent, too. (Now I’m off to find this book thread because I love to read and haven’t seen it!)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’ve enjoyed Call the Midwife, keep watching because it just gets better and better. The Christmas specials are always brilliant too. We’ve recently finished the latest series, and they’ve confirmed there will be at least two more.

Bletchley Circle is also very good, some of the original cast have left, but we’re now on the 2nd series (only 4 episodes each) of The Bletchley Circle San Francisco.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
If you’ve enjoyed Call the Midwife, keep watching because it just gets better and better. The Christmas specials are always brilliant too. We’ve recently finished the latest series, and they’ve confirmed there will be at least two more.

Bletchley Circle is also very good, some of the original cast have left, but we’re now on the 2nd series (only 4 episodes each) of The Bletchley Circle San Francisco.

The Christmas specials are my favorite!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ordered Season 1 - thank you for the recommendation!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really appreciate this feedback, Austina, because I have already wondered if future seasons could possibly be as good as this original one and if, therefore, I have any future watching this show as a series! My thinking was that the first season might be based on a novel but that future episodes might just be thrown together by writers without a real mission! You are making me feel I have a new reson to go on living! ;))

Monkeysink, I look forward to reading some postings from you in the Book Thread!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

The Book Thread...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-book-s-thread.189871/page-22

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely adore Call The Midwife. Even my husband enjoys watching it with me & gets very drawn in to the characters & their circumstances. Giving birth was a very risky business even to the upper classes back then, let alone the lower classes. Fascinating programme!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely adore Call The Midwife. Even my husband enjoys watching it with me & gets very drawn in to the characters & their circumstances. Giving birth was a very risky business even to the upper classes back then, let alone the lower classes. Fascinating programme!

I mentioned my mother in a posting above. She and my father were married in October, 1941, right before Pearl Harbor was bombed and the United States entered World War II. I realize that many other countries had been involved in the war for years, since 1939 for most European countries, even earlier for Austria and Czechoslovakia. My mother's best friend had a baby before she did. (My mother and father waited until after World War II, having their children in the 1950's.) Her best friend died in childbirth and I grew up on tales of this friend and the marriage and tragedy. Even now when I go to my family's cemetery I see the statue of an angel on the grave of the very young mother who was once my mother's childhood best friend. I know my mother was marked by her friend's death and often thought of who should be saved (her or or the baby) if a choice had to be made while she was giving birth.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mentioned my mother in a posting above. She and my father were married in October, 1941, right before Pearl Harbor was bombed and the United States entered World War II. I realize that many other countries had been involved in the war for years, since 1939 for most European countries, even earlier for Austria and Czechoslovakia. My mother's best friend had a baby before she did. (My mother and father waited until after World War II, having their children in the 1950's.) Her best friend died in childbirth and I grew up on tales of this friend and the marriage and tragedy. Even now when I go to my family's cemetery I see the statue of an angel on the grave of the very young mother who was once my mother's childhood best friend. I know my mother was marked by her friend's death and often thought of who should be saved (her or or the baby) if a choice had to be made while she was giving birth.

What an awful choice to have to think about making. Urgh! I read a biography last year written by a Dr who ended up quitting the NHS here due to the unreasonable pressures etc. One of the last chapters tells the story that broke the camels back: a mother giving birth, a stuck baby half out, both dying. He did everything he could to get that baby out & save them both, but sadly the mother died shortly after. The husband, obviously very traumatised & distressed beyond belief, started to attack the Dr, screaming that he’d saved the wrong one & he should have saved his wife. He resigned pretty much the next day. Horrific stuff :(2

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other thing that fascinates me about Call the Midwife, is that the nurses portrayed were all from ‘good families’, so dealing with poor families in the East End would’ve been quite a culture shock for them.

My DH loves the show too, it’s in the 8pm Sunday evening slot here, which is perfect time for it.

The way the characters develop throughout successive series really draws you in and keeps you hooked.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved it when Chummy said to her mother that she couldn't wear white for her wedding.

I have now seen that episode! I loved it. After the way her mother had demeaned her, Chummy told her all the things she would not allow her mother to decide about her wedding gown all in one speech. The ultimate decision her mother had planned to make, that the suit Chummy insisted she wear be white, Chummy rebuffed with the simple, "I'm not entitled". ;))

BTW, I had assumed that when Chummy told Lady Brown that she had met a man in uniform that her mother was thinking she had met a soldier, and presumably one from a good regiment!

AGBF

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my favorite thing on tv
the first couple of seasons i found specially intetesring because that's when my MIL was having her babies in England
of course by now well into the most recent series she and her very young family had immigrated to NZ

anyway its weird because i dont have children and childbirth makes me queezy
(all you mums out there with more than one child are soooooo brave)
anyway anyway my favourite characters are the nuns
such gentle souls and not in the least judgemental
siater Monica Jones and sisters Julianne
also Shela i just adore
what i find really refreshing is its quality of storyline and its portrail (excuse spelling spell check on the blink) of really strong female characters
the men characters are almost relagater to embellishment !!
i do love how the English provide work for older actresses and not everyone looks like Miss Universe
its more relatable to real life

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results