color
clarity

Call the Midwife

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Does anybody watch this show?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I do! Watched the first season on Netflix and still catching up on the new via PBS.com. I really enjoy it!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
So do I! I watched the first episode a while back (it was free on iTunes) and then set the DVR to record it. One day they apparently reaired all of the episodes, so I had all of them. It took me a while to finally watch the second episode, but I was hooked after that. The stories lines are interesting without the soap opera feeling that the last Downton Abbey season had.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I love this show! It's so charming.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched every episode on Netflix.

Not quite up to Downton Abbey standards, but I loved it.
I may watch it again.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I never heard of it. What is it?

--- Laurie

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I love it and I've watched every episode. I'm also watching Mr. Selfridge but it's not as good as Midwife and Downton.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I thought you were in labor.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I watched the whole first season on netflix and LOVED it. I haven't kept up on PBS though. I love Chummy so much!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I watch too! Love this show. So great!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:

--- Laurie

PBS (BBC?) show about midwives in the 1950s. Takes place in London's east end. Really well written, check it out!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1366164592|3428599 said:
JewelFreak said:

--- Laurie

PBS (BBC?) show about midwives in the 1950s. Takes place in London's east end. Really well written, check it out!

Thank you for the rec amc. I never heard of this show either and I just added season 1 to my netflix cue thanks to your recommendation and added season 2 to my TIVO schedule. Looking forward to seeing a well written and entertaining show. I miss Downton. It always seems to be over too quickly!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, amc! I'll give it a peek -- I agree about Downton, miss something good like that. I'm still grumpy about Matthew, anyway!

--- Laurie

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I watched all of the first season but I have to say that it hasn't managed to hook me.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Love this show too! As with Downton, I wish the seasons weren't so short.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Part of why I enjoy it so much- in addition to some wonderful writing an acting- is that they manage to walk to the line between not pulling any punches and not being so dark. Some terrible situations are portrayed and while it's not as graphic as it could be, it's certainly not entirely whitewashed either; and yet, there is always a sense of hope, some joy to be found, and a general love of life. Part of that credit goes to Vanessa Redgrave, I think. She voices Mature Jenny's voice overs and I could listen to that woman read a cereal box and be enthralled :appl:

We're also watching GoF, and we've both read all the books, and I just feel so depressed after those; they are so nasty and brutish. Not sure I can continue with them. So I really appreciate the uplift I come away with after Midwife without it being all sugary.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When is it on? I remember catching an episode a long time ago, really enjoying it, but have not seen it since. When can I catch it?

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I'll have to look for it I thought it was a limited series. I watched a marathon of season 1 on netflix and had no idea there were more episodes. I loved it when Chummy said to her mother that she couldn't wear white for her wedding. :lol: I've also become addicted to Downton Abby. I'm watching that on Amazon Prime and have a few episodes of the second season left. The murder just happened so I'm sure there will be a few episodes of did he or didn't he.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh I loved this show. Sadly season 2 conflicts with Downton Abbey here so I'm torn. I'll just rent the DVD when it's released. :naughty:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The show airs on Sunday Evening at 7p.m. central time. We have already had 3 episodes.

Annette

amc80

Ideal_Rock
NonieMarie|1366335308|3430191 said:
I loved it when Chummy said to her mother that she couldn't wear white for her wedding.

That was hilarious! I love Chummy...

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the heads up on this. Just finished season 1 on Netflix and all caught up and ready for tonight's episode!!! Just the show to tide me over till Downton Abbey comes back on:)

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to this thread; I'm all caught up. :appl:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
NonieMarie said:
Thanks to this thread; I'm all caught up. :appl:

Isn't it addicting?

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
And last night I got to see the premire of The Bletchley Circle... looks like another good show.
Im dreaming in a British accent LOL
Regarding Call the Midwife. I love all the beautiful English Prams. I'm pretty sure the prop dept spent a fortune on all those Silver Cross prams. Hopefully used market is plentiful in UK. I was in a Silver Cross back on 56.
They retail for about 4,000 in the US!!!

pram1.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Elisateach|1366653513|3432283 said:
And last night I got to see the premire of The Bletchley Circle... looks like another good show.
Im dreaming in a British accent LOL
Regarding Call the Midwife. I love all the beautiful English Prams. I'm pretty sure the prop dept spent a fortune on all those Silver Cross prams. Hopefully used market is plentiful in UK. I was in a Silver Cross back on 56.
They retail for about 4,000 in the US!!!

I saw that preview! It looked really interesting.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Elisa, I just introduced my mother to this show the other night and we specifically talked about the prams! I love them!

And we'll be buying both seasons on DVD to send to my Grandmother who was a L&D nurse for 60 years; just retired two years ago. I think she is going to get the biggest kick out of this show!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
I loved it and cried almost every episode!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'd heard of this show, but hadn't watched it. Of course, now thanks to you guys, I saw that Season 1 is on Netflix. I'm now addicted.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing this thread, I decided to check it out. I watched 3 of the 6 episodes on Netflix last night and I loved it! I just adore Jenny's short and curly little bob and it makes me want to go crazy and chop off my hair lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results