shape
carat
color
clarity

Call me crazy but I need your help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
You should be calling me crazy. lol.
20.gif

Okay well I have been in the begining steps of making a diamond soiltare pendant.

I had planned on using a stone I already have that''s set into a ring.

But now im having second thoughts.

And I want to sell my stone ( in ring ) and buy a new stone so I can get A. A better cut or B A asscher cut!

I have alot of questions. Sorry about that!

First, I want to know who here thinks it is fesiable to take a loss on the stone and ring I have now in order to gain what I want.

If I was to sell my ring I would be offered apprx. 400-600 US dollars for it.(don''t know for sure yet because I am waiting for a price quote)

I have done a search on Ideal-cut rounds and Asscher cuts and can get anywhere from 0.30-0.45 ct stone for this price.

The stone I currently have and wanted to use is a G color SI-1 clarity (eye clean) 0.58 ct rb ( deep-cut ) I am having second thoughts on using a deep cut stone for a pendant so you should understand why!

Well if I was to sell my diamond ring I have now for 400-600 dollars this jeweler would turn around and sell it for about 1,000-1,400.00

I know he/she would make a HUGE profit off me but

I feel like if I am getting a nice cut of stone (even if it is smaller) it is worth it.

Don''t you agree that a 0.30-0.45 Ideal-cut stone will have more bang for the buck then a 0.58 ct deep cut stone?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

P.s. I am buying the new stone online and not from a jeweler! (pricescope vendor)

Diamondring2384.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Whether it is feasible or not is really only something you can decide. Do you have the money to do this?

I would not choose an asscher diamond that small because I just don't think you can see the facets well enough. A .30-.45 asscher is going to look very small compared to a round of the same weight. Can you sell the diamond on your own and get a little more for it?

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
I thought the same thing about the Asscher cut untill I looked at the measurements between the Asscher and the Round, they seem to be just about the same. Also plan to have the stone set into a Halo (Round or Asscher halo style) should help with making the stone appear larger, right?

Well that depends on what you mean by "sell on your own"

The local jewelers/pawn shops won''t offer me anymore then that.

I''ve already called around.

Everyone seems to want to make all the money, but that''s just the way it works.

A consignment sell would take a very long time. (around here anyways)

20.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should look at jewlery stores to get an idea of what a .40 asscher looks like in person. For me I am visual so looking at jewlery to get ideas really helps. I think you should try that out. Best wishes.

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
There''s about a .4-.6 mm visual mm difference between a round and an asscher cut in this size range.

Ideal asscher cut''s also seem to have a more affordable price then the comparable ideal-cut round.

I might just go for an ideal-cut round instead of an asscher, but either way I still have to sell my diamond ring.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
.4-.6mm doesn''t make any difference in the bigger sizes but in the small diamonds, it has a significant impact.

both of these diamonds are .30ct

roundnasscherbig.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
smaller and perhaps a little more realistic

roundnasschersmall.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Belle, that makes a difference. Round looks lots bigger.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 8:49:15 PM
Author: belle
.4-.6mm doesn''t make any difference in the bigger sizes but in the small diamonds, it has a significant impact.

do this with a .3 ct asscher and a .5ct round!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 9:51:07 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 1/13/2007 8:49:15 PM

do this with a .3 ct asscher and a .5ct round!!!
Belle is busy watching the Eagles game... Go Eagles!!!
3.gif
But yeah, an asscher that size won''t show up too well, IMHO. I''d go for the round. My asscher RHR has an asscher that is .92, and it was tiny loose. The halo helped a lot. My concern is that with a small asscher you wouldn''t be able to see the patterns, the wind mills etc.. So either you hold out until you can get a bigger asscher, or go for a round. HTH,good luck!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I ditto Kaleigh. Go for the round in this size area
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 8:50:53 PM
smaller and perhaps a little more realistic

Eeeeek, and THIS unfortunately is why I don''t buy asschers...because I love the look probably more than every shape, but I just couldn''t deal with the small face up size. What a bummer, huh?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can tell you is that I took a loss on my old diamond studs in order to get ideal cut ones. Good Luck!

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
Okay well thanks to everyone for helping me out here.

I will most likely go with an ideal-cut round. And I might need someone''s help finding the perfect stone. (I am really picky lol.)
So I hope someone can help me with that.

On another note, I got a response back on the price quote to sell my diamond:

Thank you for your inquiry, we are interested in your diamond, we would need
to see it in person to give you an exact price.

I would say you are looking at between $500-$800. for the diamond.
The appraised value has no bearing on a diamonds actual worth.
If you would like to send the diamond to us for an exact price, please let
me know and I will explain the procedure we use to insure the safety of your
jewelry.

Thank you.

So the 500-800 is ALOT higher then the 400-600 I thought I would get. Which is really nice. I might just be able to get a decent size stone afterall.

And as far as what im looking for in a new stone is along these lines.

0.30cts-0.50 cts IF YOU CAN even find a stone that big in my price range; prolly not 0.50 but close, so i''d say more like 0.30cts-0.45 (it depends tho.)

Ideal-cut Hearts and Arrows stone but It DOES NOT have to be a branded Triple or Super Ideal or an AGS 0 altho it would be nice I think you can find a real value in un-branded Hearts & Arrows cuts if you know what your looking for. Like a GIA certed but unbranded Excellent/Excellent.

Something that does concern me is the difference between BIC and FIC''s Brilliant Ideal-cut''s and Firey Ideal-cut''s ( I would prefer a Firery-Ideal cut )

So to find a stone in the FIC range I am looking for a smaller table and a higher crown angle ( I prefer to stay under a 57% table ) 57% or less.

Also scince this stone is being made into a pendant I am looking for a stone that Is an Ideal-cut yet still has a large spread or larger diameter so I get a bigger look so I prefer a shallow cut stone ( 60.1-61.5 % Depth ) this will give a a bigger diameter with a smaller depth and would make a GREAT pendant stone!

Also we all need to be careful when searching for unbranded Ideal-cut''s because alot of times GIA Excellent/Excellent stones are labeled to be Excellent/Excellent when alot of times the depth of the stone is 63% or more which by GIA standards throws it out of the Excellent category.

SO to sum up the cut I want something that is an Ideal-cut Hearts & Arrows 57% table or less and 61.5% Depth or less (give or take different table sizes)

The color range of the stone I want is G - H - I Color and for the clarity range I want VS-1 - VS-2 - SI-1 (eye clean)

0.30cts-0.45 cts

The budget will be 500-800 dollars. Will give an exact price once I send my stone in.

I want to thanks in advance to everyone for the help!
9.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Uh.. you are sending it in to someone reputable, I hope? Not some random person? Just wanted to make sure.

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
Yes, the quote I got from is from a Jeweler in NY who has been in the business for like 17 plus years. I did just ask another quote to a Jeweler in CA, so i''m waiting to hear back from that. I am curious to see if some jewelers are willing to pay more then others based on their market.

I have taken pictures of the ring, and I will be using insured shipping to insure it''s arrival wherever it goes.
16.gif

I am curious to see different price quotes, so i''m going to ask for a few more.

CinnamonTea

Rough_Rock
Okay well the second quote I got was 400* dollars * meaning won''t know untill they see it in person. ( CA )
The first quote was higher at 500-800. ( NY )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results