shape
carat
color
clarity

calibrated size?

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, All,
Just a quick question. I'm thinking about purchasing some new gemstones for earrings. Do you know if 8 x 6 mm (for an EC) is a calibrated size? I don't think I can afford to have custom work done with the prices of gold being what they are, but if I could get some findings that my new stones could be set into, that would make it affordable. I would want something resembling these, in 14kt WG. Are there any mountings sort of like this out there that would fit 8 x 6 mm ECs?
Thanks!

Example.png

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Good Monring Tanzigrrl :wavey:

Yes 8x6 is a calibrated size in ovals and emerald cuts, things can go a little different in pears and marquises.

It usually runs like this 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 6x8, 7x9, 8x10, and so on... You can usually get away with a few points like .3 either way up or down the scale in a four prong mount; usually the problem most find is that the pavilion is too deep on colored stones to fit the basket of the mount properly; as most mounts are made for diamond cuts and they can be much more shallow than a colored stone's cut will be. A precision cut brilliant design usually has no problems fitting the mounts.

If you use the 75% depth to width ratio it will have no problems ; for example if the 6x8 stone has a total depth of 4.5mm or less you are fine; if it is 7mm deep you may not have enough prong height to make it seat properly...

I hope this all makes sense :)

Most respectfully;

Dana

P.S. all those on the east coast like me prepare for Irene please...

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much, mastercutgems, for that very good explanation! I really appreciate it and will save it for future reference, too. The EC colored stones I'm thinking of measure 8 (L) x 6 (W) x 3.9 (D) so I'm definitely under the 4.5 mm mark for the depth. Thank you for your help! Good luck with Irene, especially in the Northeast. Those of us in the Southeast may have an easier time of this storm.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Dana for the very informative response.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results