shape
carat
color
clarity

calibrated rubies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m working on something else while I''m waiting.... all 3 of my children were born the same week in July and I''m going to make a simple mother''s ring - very simple, but hopefully nice. I have never much liked rubies because the ones I always saw were cloudy or too pink for my taste.... the only ones Ive ever liked were the nice dark garnety rubies that were very clear.. now as I read about ruby "fire" and contrast I''ve eased up a it on how dark they must be but I don''t want very pink and I definitely don''t want white cloudy cheapo looks to them.... but they''re going to be small 4mm or less... and I need three that match in size and color... any advice on where I should look for something like this?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
get a vendor working for you!
www.winkjones.com
www.diamondexpert.com

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gary @ www.diamondexpert.com goes to the huge wholesale gem show in Feb. in AZ.
You best bet might be to have him hunt some down there if your not in a hurry.
Even at 4mm they wont be cheap for top line naturals.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks storm and belle :) Yeah I think feb is too far out and I hate to admit it here but it makes no difference to me if the stones are natural or not.... if I was investing 10k in a large ruby that I was having set in a serious ring I would have different criteria - and I think in some ways it would be easier just looking for that one beautiful stone! This is just going to be a small fun thing - bezel or gypsy set.... but they do need to match in color and size and I refuse to have those white/cloudy pink stones that you find in cheap jewelry. Not that I need expensive jewelry for this, just medium-good and not too expensive.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought, would you be interested in this ring from Costco?

It has two 4.5 mm rubies and one 5.5 mm ruby, with just under a carat of diamonds for $4700. Seems like a decent buy and Costco has above-average stuff.

150942.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 8:43:58 PM
Author: starryeyed
Just a thought, would you be interested in this ring from Costco?

It has two 4.5 mm rubies and one 5.5 mm ruby, with just under a carat of diamonds for $4700. Seems like a decent buy and Costco has above-average stuff.
that is pretty!! but more than I want to spend plus I want all 3 rubies the same size so my kids don''t compete over who I love more hahaha :D I''ve thought about doing a family ring but dh and I are both emeralds and redgreenredgreenred just isn''t a ring I want!! I don''t want this to be very wide - just 4mm or so... I do really like that though :)

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I''m an emerald too CB - I knew you were a good rock! You''re right - RGRGR sounds hideous.
1.gif

I bought my pink sapphire from Gemnation. Here is a link to their Rubies. They have great stuff at affordable prices. Here''s a sample image.

Gemnation ruby1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 9:43:43 PM
Author: starryeyed
I''m an emerald too CB - I knew you were a good rock! You''re right - RGRGR sounds hideous.
1.gif

I bought my pink sapphire from Gemnation. Here is a link to their Rubies. They have great stuff at affordable prices. Here''s a sample image.
haha I don''t know if: @@@@@ really is *hideous* so much as appropriate one month out of the year!!! hahaha or if you''re freddy krueger!!! I have a cheap ruby I got when my oldest was a baby as a nursing ring - she was due aug 14th and I love peridot so I''d gotten one thinking no WAY she''d be born any time other than august but nope - july 30th!! I had another one due in august and born in july - I just could NOT get away from the rubies! anyway, this little ruby is really ugly and cheap and it really has been seeing some of the lovely rubies here that changed my mind at all about them... I''d even love to have a nice 3 carat oval ruby hehehe but in the meantime I''m just going to get three little ones and keep it simple. I''ll check out this link, thanks!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like your babies have expensive tastes!! Good luck with the search!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to say that if you''re looking for that color, red spinels might be a nice option, and possibly much cheaper ...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 6:19:59 PM
Author: flopkins
I just wanted to say that if you''re looking for that color, red spinels might be a nice option, and possibly much cheaper ...
yes, but then I couldn''t tell them they were rubies wthout lying :/ I *have* thought about getting sapphires and saying "well it''s the same thing just about" but I can''t even convince myself of *that* hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results