shape
carat
color
clarity

CADs for Spinel Ring -- Advice Please

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
So Michael sent CADs for my blue spinel ring. I LOVE the design, love love. Still not decided on a few things, though.

I don't wear white metals -- w/g or platinum or silver -- because I look awful in them. Pale complexion that just washes out with silver. I have 3 thin half-eternity wedding bands (2 all-diamond, 1 emerald/diamond) & would probably wear this ring with 2 of them; both are yg. Originally I thought of rose gold for the spinel, then we decided to use yellow sapphire melee, so changed to 18K yellow.

Question 1.) Would there be enough contrast in yg with yellow sapphires? Michael also did a CAD using rg -- how would it look w/the sapphires?

Q. 2.) Melee of 8 x 1.5 mm sapphires: seems to need something, not sure what. More stones, 1 or 2 or all the way to the gallery? Or move existing melee up a tad on the shoulders?

First, the design CADs.

CAD1.jpg

CAD2.jpg

CAD3.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Next, color ones. The color is very vivid -- looks more like copper than rg, but you can use your imagination. These are where I need suggestions.

Many thanks, everybody!

-- Laurie

Yellow.jpg

Rose.jpg

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
I'm certainly no expert, but I'll give you my 2 cents! First of all, LOVE the swoopiness. And the double prongs.

I am a white gold girl, so of course, that one is my favorite. That being said, I also love the yellow gold. Honestly, I'm not crazy about the rose gold, it looks a little busy to me. I actually like how the sapphires sort of blend in with the yellow gold. I also like the placement of the sapphires, but wonder if they will be very visible when you are wearing the ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My, that will be a handsome ring and my vote is totally for 18K yellow; I think blues that don't have any green or grey tints and that may have just the slightest touch of violet, look amazing in yellow gold.

As for the CADs, I would say that my eye is drawn to the shank where there is nothing there; while its sleek and minimalist, I notice the edge on the band looks like a sharp corner where the prongs look more rounded, so there is that contrast. Then there is the contrast between the little part that has melee and the part that is elegantly simple. So those are the two contrasting elements I notice mostly. Other thatn those, I LOVE the head/basket/whatever you call it, and LOVE the prongs. Beautiful. Now I want one...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
yellow not red gold. 20K? like minous, I find the sharp edges of the shank to be out of place.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the twisted head design - the side view is amazing.

I adore the white with white but if it doesn't suit you then I think yellow gold is the way forward. The yellow sapphires will look very similar to the shank colour but will add sparkle. I wasn't sure at first whether the melee should be moved up towards the head a little but the more I looked the more I liked the uniqueness of their placement. However, when the ring is on your finger is Michael sure that the melee won't be covered by your fingers at either side?

I really don't like the rose gold combo at all - but this is very much a personal thing and if you like it then of course go for it.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I love this. I looks great! As everyone else said, the swoopiness of the basket and head is just gorgeous! As are the prongs.

I love rose gold and my guess is that the extra vivid color of the CAD is throwing us all off here. Can you hold the stone up to a penny to see how it looks? Great trick for RG. Otherwise, I don't think you can go wrong with either YG or RG. Because you're using yellow sapphires, my instinct might be to go with the YG. The RG might wash out (as opposed to contrast with and highlight) the yellow sapphires since they are so small.

I have to say, I'm not loving the placement of the melee on the shank. I guess I just don't really get it as I haven't seen rings that have a placement like that. I think it would look awesome the melee either moved closer the head or scattered around.

I also think this ring would look awesome with a rounded knife edge shank.

Of course (not to change the whole design too much), especially since you're doing yellow sapphires, I think this would also look really cool with yellow sapphire accent stones instead of a melee. The awesome swirly motif could continue into their baskets as well.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1320099296|3051261 said:
yellow not red gold. 20K? like minous, I find the sharp edges of the shank to be out of place.

Agreed on all counts. Do love the "swoopiness" (is that a word?? hahaheee) of the head....I wonder if the stones on the shank would look better "scattered"...

cheers--Sharon

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that YG looks the best. Not sure about the look of yellow sapphires in yellow gold, perhaps move them closer to the head to provide some contrast with the blue stone?

It is going to be one killer of a ring!

kt

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought maybe of a brushed metal finish? In yellow I think it would look very cool, and might make the yellow sapphires pop more. But I do think you need to move those melee ones as I think otherwise they'd be hard to see....

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I guess I am the outcast here because I don't think the yellow gold looks good with that stone in the least bit. I 100% prefer the white gold.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
White gold and rounded shank IMO. Rose gold would look quite interesting too imo. Maybe a more "lacey" look with the diamonds on the shank would look less rigid? I love the swoopiness of the head too!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the setting, but I do like a previous posters ideas to scatter the band with stone rather than just at the sides.

Here's a photo of a yellow sapphire eternity band in yellow gold to help you decide if you like it. To me its very subtle and with such a beautiful centre stone, I'd want a bit but punch in the setting.

il_570xN.247218903.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful design - really love it! Since you don't wear WG, I would go with the YG version - I think it works best with the Spinel and with the yellow sapphires. For possible tweaks, would you consider moving up the melee placement by a half-stone closer to the center stone? And, for some reason, I'm thinking my eye would find 3 stones on each side more pleasing than the four stones currently shown? But honestly, if the ring was made using the YG CAD design you posted above, I think the ring would be a knockout.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You experts have been SO helpful, thank you millions. :appl: Chel, the example you came up with made the decision much easier. YG it is. I'm going to send your pic to Michael -- he mentioned lack of contrast between sapphires & yg too, but IRL I think it will add richness.

The shank needs to be as fluid as the gallery, rather than square. Since I'll wear this ring with at least 2 thin diamond or diamond/emerald wedding bands (maybe 3 if I'm in the mood), I want the shank fairly thin; scattering the sapphires would most likely require a thicker one (& more cost). I did some photoshopping with Michael's CAD -- pretend the shank is rounded. I think this is it.

Can't thank you enough! Wish I were half as good at helping you folks!

--- Laurie

yg sample.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1320111111|3051400 said:
I guess I am the outcast here because I don't think the yellow gold looks good with that stone in the least bit. I 100% prefer the white gold.

i agree with you! i really like the first pictures in the white metal. everything after that, well, just does not rock my boat and i love gold.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer the white gold, but I'm not into yellow gold at all, and I will almost always vote for white gold.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed that your photoshop increased the number of yellow sapphires from 4 to 5 on the sides. I may be in a minority here, but I think this would look better with fewer yellow sapphires - 3 - rather than more. And I wouldn't have them placed right next to each other like that, but spaced out. It would give a sort of "linear scattered" look.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the side stones/melee up closer and the rounded shank ideas. Personally, I also favour white gold, but the yellow looks nice, too. I like yellow and blue together. :) A "warm white" gold (i.e. unplated) might be another option. I love that stone, and think it will be a fabulous ring!

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
First up, I love the swoopiness around the head! (i think can officialy classify swoopiness as a proper word lol!) It's simply and yet different.

I like that in your new CAD the sapphire melee are further up the shank. With your yellow sapphire melee, I think YG might be a better option as it gives your spinel more pop. Somehow, a blue spinel on a RG band with yellow sapphires just looks a tad busy.

Can't wait to see your hand shots! :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the yellow on yellow..I like yellow and blue. Adore the swoopiness of the profile view, it's gorgeous. Love the double prongs. Someone suggested brushed finish..I think that would be really cool and lend a little contrast between the stones and metal in the shank. The head could be polished? I would like to see just three sapphs on the sides also, instead of the five there.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Happy to help jewelfreak, I'm no PS expert, as I'm sure you can see but maybe this helps too...
A mock up of how the ring would like with the suggestion of just 3 sapphires but placed nearer to the head so when viewed from above they "frame" the centre stone.

Yellow.jpg

CAD1.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
and this is with the stones scattered down the band

wow I need to be better at Psing

CAD11.jpg

yg sample.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results