shape
carat
color
clarity

CADs are in for my FI's marquise e-ring

hguy4x

Rough_Rock
Being a newb, have some questions about them and would love some opinions. My inspiration was a simple braid/twist design that continues the intertwining design through to the head. Pictures first.

wf__harvey_guy.png

I'm fairly happy with the design that WF mocked up. Love how they incorporated twisting and intertwining through to the actually setting. I did have a few questions.

1. Are CADs normally bulky looking? The idea in my head looks more dainty than what's shown on the CAD. But if that's norms, then we're all good.

2. My inspiration for the braid came from a Verragio ring:
insignia-7074r-tt-large-1079.png

I initially liked how the braid is had no gaps in the middle. But in the CAD, they have a gradual taper with gaps. WF did respond to me about this saying: "We can absolutely do that for you however the gradual taper of the shank will be complete off and this change would also affect the ratio between the center diamond and width of the shank." At this point, I don't know anymore. The more I look at the CAD, the more it grows on me. But my gut feeling when I first looked at it, I didn't like the gaps. Opinions? Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gaps also mean that you can see the skin of the finger underneath so that is something to consider. I think the gap can be made much smaller and still maintain the tapered look. Can I ask why are there diamond melees only on one twisted shank? It makes the contrast with the plain twisted shank very stark, almost as though it is unfinished.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree I dont like the gaps, I like it more if it had a rolling braid like shank instead of the current more flat wavy criss cross look.

I would want it to look more like this.

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-love-entwined-custom-diamond-engagement-ring

Obviously that last one is hand forged, so it won't look the same, but you can get CAD/CAST ones that can look more delicate. Heres one. And yes the shank will be thinner but I think it will make it more modern, which frankly, is going to be really imports with a marquise. Really want to make a conscious effort to keep it from looking dated!

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Twist...154-27673/?flavour=full&show_setting_tab=true

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, cads do look bulkier than the final product.

I like the gaps and the spacing. I especially like the profile around the stone mounting.
I like the spacing and thing it balances the length of the marquise.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I don't mind the gaps, but I do agree with Chrono that I don't like the plain side of the twist. I would add diamonds to both sides.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion? WF nailed it - love the CADs and think the setting is lovely and graceful and quite proportionate to the marquise center stone. I also very much like graduated twist, with the one diamond strand entwined with a plain strand in this design - however, when I see closely entwined designs I prefer both strands to be diamond pave.

BUT, if you are not sold on the design, that's all that matters. Is it possible for WF to send you a wax of the current CAD design so you can decide for sure whether you like the gaps in the twist?

DSilverberg

Rough_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful concept!
With the gaps it has the appearance of a split shank--is that the look you were going for or do you prefer a tighter braid like the images in the links other people posted above?
What I always tell customers is to go with your gut! This isn't an heirloom from your grandmother--this is a custom made piece. Tweak, tweak, and tweak again until it's AMAZING and PERFECT.
Good luck!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would like diamonds on both twists.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also think that both "sides" of the braid need melee....it's too much of a contrast otherwise and looks very modern, which doesn't jive with the lovely rose gold scroll work on the side of the ring....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results