shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD/Wax service.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Toreo

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.
I''m curious if anyone knows of any particular places that do CADs and waxes as a service online. Not necessarily expecting them to make the ring (or maybe they don''t even actually manufacture jewelry), but just as a business to provide you with an accurate portrayal of what you want. I''m sure that there are lots of people who have a vision for a ring, but don''t have drawing skills and/or don''t have a local, trusted jeweler who also provides CADs.
I know that some places charge for the CADs/wax and this money is put towards your ring when they make it, or it is nonrefundable if you end up not having them make it. I have found one other site that seems to be mostly just the service of CADs.
Anyone heard of places like this? Thanks a lot!
-Toreo

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think CAD is a bit over used in jewelry. When I design, I draft the schematics on graph paper by hand and then carve the wax manually. A full three dimensional model can be nice, but it doesn''t have to come from CAD. Technology is getting more advanced all the time, but i haven''t found a program that gives me the same freedom and ease of design as the old standbys of graphite and wax.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 7:52:09 PM
Author: Diamond Explorer
I think CAD is a bit over used in jewelry. When I design, I draft the schematics on graph paper by hand and then carve the wax manually. A full three dimensional model can be nice, but it doesn''t have to come from CAD. Technology is getting more advanced all the time, but i haven''t found a program that gives me the same freedom and ease of design as the old standbys of graphite and wax.
But... that doesn''t really answer the OP''s question does it?
2.gif

I think there are people who do this, but they are primarily trade resources and not widely known. You best bet might be contacting the GIA for a referral (or perhaps one of their students can help you as a project if all you want is the 3D rendition), they offer courses in CAD design for jewelry manufacturing.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a couple of cases, knoxjewelers.biz has made me a cad even before I put a deposit down on a setting. However, I'm not sure if this is because he knew I was serious to buy or not and wanted to get the setting from him. Either way, why don't you just get the cad from the same place you would like the setting from? If the design isn't quite right after seeing the cad then you can alter it to get what you are looking for.

ETA: if you are just wondering what a particular design would look like, there are many photoshop wizes here on ps that might create something for you.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/7/2009 8:32:21 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 4/7/2009 7:52:09 PM

Author: Diamond Explorer

But... that doesn''t really answer the OP''s question does it?
2.gif

I think there are people who do this, but they are primarily trade resources and not widely known. You best bet might be contacting the GIA for a referral (or perhaps one of their students can help you as a project if all you want is the 3D rendition), they offer courses in CAD design for jewelry manufacturing.

True Gypsy,

Your post actually answered the question.
3.gif
My post was merely related commentary to the issue.
25.gif
28.gif

Toreo

Rough_Rock
That''s a good idea... Never thought of that. It''s definitely just to see the visual as I have no artsy skills and no real perception of what it will turn out like. :)

Toreo

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 8:35:07 PM
Author: kcoursolle
In a couple of cases, knoxjewelers.biz has made me a cad even before I put a deposit down on a setting. However, I''m not sure if this is because he knew I was serious to buy or not and wanted to get the setting from him. Either way, why don''t you just get the cad from the same place you would like the setting from? If the design isn''t quite right after seeing the cad then you can alter it to get what you are looking for.

ETA: if you are just wondering what a particular design would look like, there are many photoshop wizes here on ps that might create something for you.

I am planning on getting the setting made locally, and I''m limited in the well-trusted places that will use an already purchased stone. I don''t believe these places do CAD or waxes. Before venturing into the whole ordeal, I would like to have an idea if what I''m envisioning is truly going to work before wasting any time or then being crunched to come up with something new. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results