shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD input, por favor - 5 stone band

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

Excited but still nervous that I'll get a finished product and won't like it but had the opportunity to make a change. Any pointers on the CAD that might provide a better look? The general requests was 0.4 ct stones in size 4.25. Satin finish with milgrain. Flat band as this seems more comfortable to me than a curved band. This would be a RHR, always worn solo. Ideally to look as delicate as possible but have no structural issues with the chance of diamonds coming out.

My general concerns and it is possibly because I don't understand how a CAD translates to real life:

- One of the most important things to me on the look is the aerial view. Would like it to show a scalloped look, where you can see the curvature of the diamonds. Not a band that goes straight across. Are the prongs brought in enough? I do understand the more it is brought in, the less security there is though with the stones.

- Does it look too busy with the milgrain? Perhaps I'm combining too many looks together? I was thinking that the the milgrain part is the underbelly of the ring so I would only see it when my palms are up and would give it a little flaire. I'm thinking about taking it out and for it just to be the satin finish. The ring I wear on my left hand is a RB solitare on a shared prong eternity band. Different styles?!

- Does the side profile seem too bulky and not flowy enough? Hard for me to put into words but afraid it looks like a lot of metal.

Many thanks in advance!! Honest thoughts appreciated!

fivestonecad.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if they can pull the prongs any further into the center to give more of the rounded look? I personally would get rid
of the milgrain. I think it's kind of distracting since there are no other "vintage" elements to the setting. Other than that, I think
the side view looks fine and "flowy".

Edit ...if it were me, I would make the shank come up higher where it meets the end stones. I think this would be more comfortable
but aesthetically may not be to your liking.

For example...
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/five-stone-trellis-band-ii-platinum-5400p

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest asking for the inner shank - where the ring slides over your finger, to be slightly rounded, comfort fit. it glides nicely and the ring will feel like butter sliding on :)

P

PierreBear

Tyty333 - Thanks for your comments. I do plan on asking about the prongs. Question on the shank coming up higher the meet the stones - how would this be more comfortable? Just if your side fingers brush up against it, which would be my pinky and middle finger? It would be a smoother transition? Aesthetically, I don't think I prefer it as it looks "wider" and "more bulky" but I never realized it was done for comfort.

PintoBean - Do you have a picture example? I'm afraid of going rounded because of a silver plain band I've worn in the past. It's not the look but the feel on my finger that gave it a lot of a presence. Not sure how to explain it but it's the one ring I've worn where I always realize I'm wearing a ring and I don't quite like that feeling. My engagement ring on the other hand is flat and I barely even realize it's there. So I just wonder if it's the roundedness that draws my attention.

Attached is the ring I wear on my left hand. I seem comfortable with this but don't know what type of "fit" it is. Thoughts?

my_1.png

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slightly rounded inside of the shank will reduce "scraping" when putting on and taking off the ring.

Narrow bands (<2mm) tend to feel like they're not there more than thicker bands (>3mm) do.

About having the shank extend up toward the outer stones more would just smooth that part out instead of having a big lump where the end prongs are that may poke into the sides of your pinky and middle finger. Because these are 40 point diamonds, they will be a substantial size - 5 in a row - across your 4.75 finger. Sort of extending the shoulders up to meet the end stone -- like a cathedral on a solitaire, might help soften the transition.

It looks pretty blingy!!! :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, comfort fit is wonderful and that was one of my first thoughts! Like tyty, I also thought that the sides need to come up to meet the end stones because it will be uncomfortable for your fingers to hit the edge of the last stones, and the milgrain just seems out of place to me. I also think the scallops of the U prongs need to be lower. They are covering parts of the sides of the stones which will make it harder to clean them.

Here's an example of a beautifully designed u prong ring that has the softened inner edges and the sides gently come up to the end stones. Lovely prong work, too.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/bands/five-stone-graduated-u-prong-band

P

PierreBear

Happy Friday! First off, ya'll are very sweet to not comment on my finger nails while providing some ring advice. Wow, they look so yellow and unhealthy.... my apologies but I have no idea why it comes off that way.

PintoBean - The comparison link really helps me understand. I'm going to ask for comfort fit!
I'm still uncertain on the other two points that everyone has brought up. Can someone please clarify?

Regarding the shank coming up higher, wouldn't this then just be more metal that would prevent me from seeing the other angles of the diamond? With the way it is currently designed, I would be able to see the diamond via east and west. However, if they bring up the sides with more metal then it would be covered and for some reason gives it a less delicate look? In terms of comfort, I don't think it will be an issue but perhaps I just haven't tried enough rings like everyone else to know for certain. I moved my engagement ring to the very far side of my finger where the diamond is pointing towards the direction of my pinky and towards the middle finger and then wiggled my fingers around. The transition doesn't seem to bother me as the metal is smooth. Hmm any thoughts whether this is a good enough test?

Regarding the scallops of the U prong being lower diamondseeker, do you mean the side profile where the cutlet isn't exposed whereas most U prongs are? I've been struggling with the composition of the ring and have emphasized that the aerial view of the ring is most important view where I would like the prongs brought in more to give it that scalloped look and less of the "wall bling/band" look if I'm using that term right. So the only way it seems it can be done to not effect the integrity of the ring is to avoid lowering the U in the profile view. But yes, ideally, I would love to have more of it exposed as well but I'm learning that ideas don't always translate over to production. I hope I am getting the concepts right though.

Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts/comments!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you feel the existing ring you posted, you will definitely feel the millgrain. I would lose the mlgrain to ensure comfortable fit. Given that you are only a 4.25, I would be concerned that separating the stones too much would cause the top to be too wide to make it comfortable on the sides. KWIM? Esp given your stones are designed to protrude from the top. I have a five stone of 30 pointer and I'm 4.5 and any bigger it would hit the sides of the adjacent fingers. And my stones don't protrude. May wanna think about that, unless you've tried something similar and know it won't bother you.

P

PierreBear

LLJsmom - Thanks for your comments! I am going to take out the milgrain mostly for the look. The feel of the ring doesn't bother me but it's nice to know what to compare it to now.

Before you made the comment about the stones hitting the sides of my finger, I was actually just having that same thought. I think these images are made to scale so when I drew a line through it to try and picture it together, I think the stones should fall in the right places and there might be just a little bit more room when they move in the prongs. How does one get the perfect fit though as I'm hoping for the diamonds to wrap around the finger but only have it graze the side of the diamonds when the fingers are closed? I don't think it's common to try out the wax moldings from what I've read on the forums but I feel that is the only way to be certain. Thoughts?

line.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to make sure that it is comfortable for you, because if your ring spins on your current design, the prongs will hit squarely onto your adjacent fingers, and you may find yourself adjusting the ring constantly if your fingers expand and shrink with temperature and water retention or lack thereof.

My five stone (30 pointers, 1.5 ctw) is set super low. My finger is 4.5, and smaller than that where the ring sits. It's my big knuckles that kill it. The stones wrap the finger rather than extend upward for a more straightline view from over head, if you know what I mean. Here is the thread. You might find it interesting.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/sh...cled-into-a-blingy-five-stone-t218321-30.html

On my five stone, the far left and right stones are really part of the circular shape of the entire ring, and extend down where my finger curves down. However, my jeweler made it so nicely that I do not feel anything. Notice that the depth of where the band stops and the stones start is almost the same as the depth of the setting of the stones. I think that is the reason the ring is so comfortable for me.

However, if you like the more "flat" overhead view, rather than a more curved look like mine, look at the side view of this setting. Notice the metal on the far left and right. Where the band connects with the stones is a bit more built up, which inherently pushes the adjacent fingers out a little bit to give the stones set above more right to left space. This way, the adjacent fingers won't be pushed directly into protruding prongs as much because its in contact with more of the metal on the band.

This is what I would look out for. I assume you have tried on a variety of 5 stone settings. You have to remember that sizing makes a huge difference. When you try on a size at a jeweler's that is too big for you and they tell you that they can make it for your size, just because it fits on your finger doesn't mean it will be comfortable. This is especially true with small fingers like ours.

5_stone_example.png

5_stone_llj2.jpeg

5_stone_llj.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I think most vendors will charge you something for a wax model but it's a very good way to make the final tweaks and maybe avoid an unanticipated problem. The other strategy (and maybe you've done this already) is to go to a B&M store with a large selection of 3 and 5 and 7 stone rings and try a bunch of them on. Pay attention to some of the details like how the shank meets the prongs of the outermost stones, how far "in" are the prongs, etc. Of course this will only work if you live in a pretty big metro area.

Good decision to lose the milgrain.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
My post crossed with LLJsMom's post. Those are great pics and a great explanation of how the shank-outer stone interface can be comfortable or not.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Whose trellis setting is that LLJsMom? I really like it as well as your low set 5-stone.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sagefemme|1466786174|4047548 said:
Whose trellis setting is that LLJsMom? I really like it as well as your low set 5-stone.

I think that is the BGD Nightengale setting, the trellis one I mean. I think you will see a lot on this 5 stone thread.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/the-5-stone-ring-thread-t134007-300.html

I totally understand why you would want a beautiful side view. My setting is quite industrial and basically a workhorse setting. Girdle protection, lots of heavy metal. I wear it on my right hand now, and my right hand gets the most abuse. So I'm fine with it not being as graceful as the trellis. Just watch out for your girdles on these super exposed right hand rings. Most people probably are not as hard on their hands as I am. I can whack it walking by a doorway. :roll:

P

PierreBear

Thanks for the additional comments to make sure what I need to look for!

Sagefemme - I have tried on rings at as many local stores as possible but they are always in sizes too large. Even with the ability to visit WF and BGD in person, there wasn't anything close enough to what I was looking for to really nail it on the head. Perhaps wax model is the way to go though I've heard before that it is too delicate to ship? I'll def inquire.

LLJSmom - Wow I really appreciate all the extra efforts to educate me. Can I continue to ask the dummy question though. If the ring were to spin, won't it feel like an eternity band that is 40 pointers with round brilliants? I can't recall trying one on recently but I thought when I tried on something similar, I was surprised that it wasn't uncomfortable. it seems that some of the ladies on this site have eternity bands with similar size stones and I don't recall commentary on discomfort? I have tried on for fun an eternity asscher that I believe was 40 pointers. It was uncomfortable as heck but I don't know if it's because the nature of the stone has edges. Maybe my fingers are just more sensitive than others though.

One more question, is the 5 stone trellis from WF similar in design to the CAD designs in the shank to side diamond transition we are talking about? I haven't seen a great picture that shows the side view that perhaps there is still metal that covers up the side?
http://www.whiteflash.com/right-hand-rings/5-stone-trellis-diamond-right-hand-ring-2333.htm

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1466794056|4047647 said:
Thanks for the additional comments to make sure what I need to look for!

Sagefemme - I have tried on rings at as many local stores as possible but they are always in sizes too large. Even with the ability to visit WF and BGD in person, there wasn't anything close enough to what I was looking for to really nail it on the head. Perhaps wax model is the way to go though I've heard before that it is too delicate to ship? I'll def inquire.

LLJSmom - Wow I really appreciate all the extra efforts to educate me. Can I continue to ask the dummy question though. If the ring were to spin, won't it feel like an eternity band that is 40 pointers with round brilliants? I can't recall trying one on recently but I thought when I tried on something similar, I was surprised that it wasn't uncomfortable. it seems that some of the ladies on this site have eternity bands with similar size stones and I don't recall commentary on discomfort? I have tried on for fun an eternity asscher that I believe was 40 pointers. It was uncomfortable as heck but I don't know if it's because the nature of the stone has edges. Maybe my fingers are just more sensitive than others though.

One more question, is the 5 stone trellis from WF similar in design to the CAD designs in the shank to side diamond transition we are talking about? I haven't seen a great picture that shows the side view that perhaps there is still metal that covers up the side?
http://www.whiteflash.com/right-hand-rings/5-stone-trellis-diamond-right-hand-ring-2333.htm

PierreBear,

5_stone_analysis.png

P

PierreBear

Thank you LLJSMom - You really know how to communicate! Thank you for your time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results