shape
carat
color
clarity

Cad help please?

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
So I wear size 3.5 and I am working with DK on a cad for a design bringing two different designs I really liked together (a graduated pave style band and a engagement ring he previously made for someone else). I purchased a 1.25 ct oec August vintage stone in G color and we are so excited to start the process of building my dream ring. I will post photos of my inspiration ideas and my cad on here and maybe you guys can give me some input? He has asked me what I think about the sidestone size. He is so kind and patient but for me, It’s hard to read cad. And I know you guys are very skilled in designing jewelry and explaining what needs changed. I told him I wanted the sidestones to be graduated like the rings below and that I wanted the side profile of the ring below with the blue stone that he had previously created. I was thinking double claw prongs just because I think they are pretty. He did mention that he could make the bottom euro shank because I do like that style. He told me the band and the engagement ring will have a slight gap when I wear them together because of the side profile of the engagement ring. He is making them in palladium. With g vs quality stones. I am excited but would like your advice. Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place I am new to this forum. Thank you for your patience.

Attachments

• 1AF00094-F00A-4105-9A7F-F03C5A0EECEE.jpeg
    1AF00094-F00A-4105-9A7F-F03C5A0EECEE.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 39
  • D382D027-7D11-4CB6-B2FD-39B3B62D896C.png
    D382D027-7D11-4CB6-B2FD-39B3B62D896C.png
    679.6 KB · Views: 31
  • E13EA1F1-5D00-408B-BAA1-B46063C6BBFC.png
    E13EA1F1-5D00-408B-BAA1-B46063C6BBFC.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 5D3B1FCE-4040-4B27-8D18-1287A96BFC79.png
    5D3B1FCE-4040-4B27-8D18-1287A96BFC79.png
    702.3 KB · Views: 27
  • EA875EEA-629A-4B14-8390-6411F328649F.png
    EA875EEA-629A-4B14-8390-6411F328649F.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 5234DFB0-C49B-479A-BF9B-A6E1EB7CE3C3.jpeg
    5234DFB0-C49B-479A-BF9B-A6E1EB7CE3C3.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 8EEC78DC-8D10-40E8-B51C-0491028D4DDB.png
    8EEC78DC-8D10-40E8-B51C-0491028D4DDB.png
    484.3 KB · Views: 29

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle of the Gemstone Project designed the latter ring with the rose cuts in the basket and is very easy to work with and not too expensive - since you're altering her design have you thought of emailing her to find out how much it would be to get her to help you with your ideas? David Klass is her bench so she would just take over communicating CAD changes and making sure it is a unified vision. I have done a ring with her before, an alteration of one of her designs, and she was wonderful to work with.

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
Elle of the Gemstone Project designed the latter ring with the rose cuts in the basket and is very easy to work with and not too expensive - since you're altering her design have you thought of emailing her to find out how much it would be to get her to help you with your ideas? David Klass is her bench so she would just take over communicating CAD changes and making sure it is a unified vision. I have done a ring with her before, an alteration of one of her designs, and she was wonderful to work with.

honestly I am clueless about this. Is that what I should do? David already gave me a quote and worked this up ‍

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
I’ll be honest I’m a bit discouraged. I was really hopeful that if I made an account I’d get some help with this. Dk already gave me a price. It’s not the same exact design I just wanted something similar added to the side of the ring I loved. I just wanted some help reading the cad. The gemstone project sells her setting with single prong and different side stones and it’s the same cost. I want the ring from dk bc I want the metal to be palladium. I already have my cost quote. The diamonds I want are larger than the one on the gemstone project setting and graduated. I read stuff on here for months before having the courage to ask for help and was just really hoping someone would be able to help me. Can anyone give me some input aside from referring me to someone else? Please?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You posted on a holiday weekend. Not many people are online and everyone who is online is probably tired. It’s only been 12 hours since you posted, overnight for Americans (the majority of forum participants). People are asleep. Chill. People will reply in the day when they are awake and possibly not until Monday since PS isn’t very active on weekends.

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
You posted on a holiday weekend. Not many people are online and everyone who is online is probably tired. It’s only been 12 hours since you posted, overnight for Americans (the majority of forum participants). People are asleep. Chill. People will reply in the day when they are awake and possibly not until Monday since PS isn’t very active on weekends.

Okay. Well as a new person on here I have no idea about that. I apologize if my post upset you. I’m sure you can understand the excitement that comes with these types of things We were hoping to get engaged by Christmas but the longer I wait to make my decisions the longer this is going to take.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you describe what you want in the side more clearly? The TGP ring is a split shank at the top. So, when you say graduated do you mean on top of the shack-facing the ceiling OR on the side -- facing the wearer?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the stones on the side facing the wearer, like these, you will need to have a solid band between this and your wedding band. Diamonds eat everything. That ok? I'm pretty sure the wearer of this ring did not plan on stacking with a wedding band.

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
Can you describe what you want in the side more clearly? The TGP ring is a split shank at the top. So, when you say graduated do you mean on top of the shack-facing the ceiling OR on the side -- facing the wearer?

These are the rings I saw at a local store and decided i wanted the graduated sidestones after trying them on. I didn’t love split shank in person so that’s why I was thinking the graduated shank facing the ceiling. Also, so you think most people who get this engagement setting don’t wear a Wedding band with it? I didn’t know that I could go without one I thought most people wore a engagement ring and wedding band. What if the wedding band were to match up with the engagement ring but then curve out some in the area of the Rosecut sidestones on the side of the ring? What do you think?

Attachments

• 6BEBDC2B-68B3-4095-8335-BC4982D6E470.png
    6BEBDC2B-68B3-4095-8335-BC4982D6E470.png
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 29
  • A2AA3E14-7D4D-4CF0-8E59-97778A62D4CE.png
    A2AA3E14-7D4D-4CF0-8E59-97778A62D4CE.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you tried that ring on you just pictured and you liked the looks - DK’s CAD looks appropriate.
One thing to note - yours has diamonds farther down the shank than the one you just tried on. Only you will know if the feel of those extra diamonds between the fingers will bother you. People vary on what they like.
Also- I’m guessing the ring you just tried on has the center stone set higher than in your CAD. If that matters to you - address it. People vary on what they like.
As for curving or notching a WB, sure it can be done. If it’s done appropriately it will alleviate concerns about diamond to diamond or metal wear. If not - it won’t. As for aesthetics on that - tastes vary. I imagine DK should be able to tell you if you need a spacer to prevent weardown with a straight WB.

I can appreciate asking for help on CADs, but ultimately these decisions are personal preferences /yours and you’ve got to be ok with them in everyday life.

Best wishes to you on working a CAD now and hoping to receive by Christmas. I hope communication is clear between you and DK on the expectations and the reality. Otherwise it’s not fair.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK using elements from TGP without her participation ( right or wrong I don’t know??) is a whole nother subject.
Didn’t she have a blog about someone else being her bench a while back? Not that it matters - but it sounded like he’s not her (main?) bench anymore.

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
With the stones on the side facing the wearer, like these, you will need to have a solid band between this and your wedding band. Diamonds eat everything. That ok? I'm pretty sure the wearer of this ring did not plan on stacking with a wedding band.

Is it called a spacer?
If you tried that ring on you just pictured and you liked the looks - DK’s CAD looks appropriate.
One thing to note - yours has diamonds farther down the shank than the one you just tried on. Only you will know if the feel of those extra diamonds between the fingers will bother you. People vary on what they like.
Also- I’m guessing the ring you just tried on has the center stone set higher than in your CAD. If that matters to you - address it. People vary on what they like.
As for curving or notching a WB, sure it can be done. If it’s done appropriately it will alleviate concerns about diamond to diamond or metal wear. If not - it won’t. As for aesthetics on that - tastes vary. I imagine DK should be able to tell you if you need a spacer to prevent weardown with a straight WB.

I can appreciate asking for help on CADs, but ultimately these decisions are personal preferences /yours and you’ve got to be ok with them in everyday life.

Best wishes to you on working a CAD now and hoping to receive by Christmas. I hope communication is clear between you and DK on the expectations and the reality. Otherwise it’s not fair.

Thank you. I guess I was just asking for help because he was asking if I liked the size of the side stones and I wanted to make sure the end product would have a similar look to my picture.

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
I guess I am just confused. A lot of people on here base their rings off of Tiffany settings and no one says a word. I don’t know what a bench even is. But I am beginning to feel discouraged about this process. The ring he is making me isn’t the same as hers. It’s totally different. The prongs are different. The sidestones are different. I just liked bezel set stones on the sides. I don’t know. I kind of regret posting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take this for what its worth...I'm not great at CADS but a few things I see

This is what a spacer band looks like (very thin). Prevents the diamonds from eating the prongs on either ring by holding them off each other.
Capture.PNG

Something I would ask DK about...The ring in the second picture looks very graduated and its not coming across in the CADs. Not sure if its the CADs
or if you need a bigger variance in the stones to get the graduated look. Maybe other Pricescopers can comment

Something you might consider...just having the engagement ring made first then trying it with different (cheap/fake...curved/uncured/separator band/no
separator band) wedding bands to see what you like best with it. You dont need the wedding band right away. Just a thought.

@Froggy5987 Believe me, I/we know how exciting you are but...keep in mind that you plan on wearing this ring for a really long (long, long...) time and
you want to get it right. You dont want to suffer with a ring that has issues because you rushed the design. (I know its hard :(2 Hang in there!)
Hopefully after this weekend you'll get some more comments.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I guess I was just asking for help because he was asking if I liked the

Because essentially you are signing off on a work order you are approving for production.
it’s yours- you own the ring that’s being produced.

I guess I am just confused. A lot of people on here base their rings off of Tiffany settings and no one says a word. I don’t know what a bench even is. But I am beginning to feel discouraged about this process. The ring he is making me isn’t the same as hers. It’s totally different. The prongs are different. The sidestones are different. I just liked bezel set stones on the sides. I don’t know. I kind of regret posting.

I’m sorry you feel this way.
My comment wasn’t pointed towards you asking for that specific side detail. It was more towards the current/prior relationship between DK/TGP.
Bench is the actual person/company doing the actual crafting of the setting.
DK uses multiple benches for his jewelry.
TGP acted as a designer and intermediary between consumer and DK with her design capabilities and aesthetic sensibilities.
It should be a positive experience. That’s what I strive for in mine. With DK and other vendors that I’ve used.

Edited
: descriptive word

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
The reason I was posting was to ask you guys what the finished item would look like. And to know if there was anything I should be focused on c
Take this for what its worth...I'm not great at CADS but a few things I see

This is what a spacer band looks like (very thin). Prevents the diamonds from eating the prongs on either ring by holding them off each other.
Capture.PNG

Something I would ask DK about...The ring in the second picture looks very graduated and its not coming across in the CADs. Not sure if its the CADs
or if you need a bigger variance in the stones to get the graduated look. Maybe other Pricescopers can comment

Something you might consider...just having the engagement ring made first then trying it with different (cheap/fake...curved/uncured/separator band/no
separator band) wedding bands to see what you like best with it. You dont need the wedding band right away. Just a thought.

@Froggy5987 Believe me, I/we know how exciting you are but...keep in mind that you plan on wearing this ring for a really long (long, long...) time and
you want to get it right. You dont want to suffer with a ring that has issues because you rushed the design. (I know its hard :(2 Hang in there!)
Hopefully after this weekend you'll get some more comments.

Thank you for your patience and response. honestly that was my only concern. And I was wondering if the double prongs or single prongs will end up looking better?

I just mentioned Christmas. I am honestly not in a rush because this is a huge investment for us and is a LOT of $ for us to spend. So I want it to be a dream come true. Which is the reason I wanted advice.
I guess when I see the photo I don’t love the idea of the spacer. So I will need to mention that to him. If I have to scrap the side stones I will just have to do that.

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
Because essentially you are signing off on a work order you are approving for production.
it’s yours- you own the ring that’s being produced.

I’m sorry you feel this way.
My comment wasn’t pointed towards you asking for that specific side detail. It was more towards the current/prior relationship between DK/TGP.
Bench is the actual person/company doing the actual crafting of the setting.
DK uses multiple benches for his jewelry.
TGP acted as a designer and intermediary between consumer and DK with her design capabilities and aesthetic sensibilities.
It should be a jovial experience. That’s what I strive for in mine. With DK and other vendors that I’ve used.

Thank you for the info. I am new to all of this so that’s very helpful.
I want to be super happy and excited about this. It’s the most important thing I’ve picked out in my lifetime. So I’m just trying to get it right.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 made a good point about the graduation.
I see the graduation in the side view of the cad. I like it how it is with your center stone.
But sometimes you need to get your measuring tools out to mock up real life sizes to appreciate if the current graduation is what you are looking for.

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
Okay you’re right. I guess that’s my main concern I just need to make sure it is going to look graduated when it’s on my finger. I also like that someone noted that my cad looks like the stone is sitting lower than the rings I’ve tried on that’s helpful. I do want it to sit up higher.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The TGP ring does not have a solid shank below the three diamonds. The bottom of the bezel of the middle one makes contact with the finger.

If you like the proportion of the three side stones compared to the middle, all three need to be bigger. That will require that you raise the center a bit.

The shank of the second ring is a double row of diamonds, not a single row like the CAD.Do you want a single row or double?

1575127570375.png

Last edited:

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
I did notice that. It looks like on my cad the shank is solid below the diamonds. It’s kinda hard for me to tell.

Okay so I need the two side stones to be bigger and the center stone to be raised a bit more then.
I like a single row of diamonds.

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
The TGP ring does not have a solid shank below the three diamonds. The bottom of the bezel of the middle one makes contact with the finger.

If you like the proportion of the three side stones compared to the middle, all three need to be bigger. That will require that you raise the center a bit.

The shank of the second ring is a double row of diamonds, not a single row like the CAD.Do you want a single row or double?

1575127570375.png

Wow I didn’t even realize that. You’re very observant!! I think I like the single better.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I didn’t even realize that. You’re very observant!! I think I like the single better.

Ok. So, you want the portion in red removed. The shank should also be curved underneath akin to the blue to give it more shape. This also creates visual space for the three stones to look more seperate.

1575128548185.png

I roughly outline the shape under the shank to show the curve and the portions of the shank that actually touch the finger.

1575128630271.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll be honest I’m a bit discouraged. I was really hopeful that if I made an account I’d get some help with this. Dk already gave me a price. It’s not the same exact design I just wanted something similar added to the side of the ring I loved. I just wanted some help reading the cad. The gemstone project sells her setting with single prong and different side stones and it’s the same cost. I want the ring from dk bc I want the metal to be palladium. I already have my cost quote. The diamonds I want are larger than the one on the gemstone project setting and graduated. I read stuff on here for months before having the courage to ask for help and was just really hoping someone would be able to help me. Can anyone give me some input aside from referring me to someone else? Please?

The reason @distracts told you to get help from a designer is because you need design help.

We are not designers.
Klass is not a designer.
L at TGP created your original inspiration - I really don’t understand why you didn’t contact her with your requests, she can certainly accommodate alternate metals and shank styles. Altering and customizing whilst preserving a specific aesthetic is what she does as a designer.

I don’t know. I kind of regret posting.

You are taking our responses much too personally. Remember that none of us have any emotional investment whatsoever in your ring or your custom jewellery journey - we help because it’s fun for us. That means that in addition to experience, we have objectivity.

And objectively, we are telling you that you will give yourself the highest odds of succeeding in creating a piece you will enjoy for a lifetime if you solicit a designer’s help. I believe Klass has a designer on staff, ask for her help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @yssie and @distracts. You need a designers help. When you're new to something you dont know what you dont know.
(None of us do). Combining two elements is not always as easy as it looks. The diamonds from the wedding band are going to eat into the
metal of the bezel (or diamond) in your ering after a while.

Personally, if you want to get engaged by the end of the year you can have your stone put into a simple inexpensive setting so you can still be
engaged. That gives you the time you need to take everything into consideration with your ring design.

or consider an off the shelf setting that has your main design elements.
or (see if you can get it without the milgrain)

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
If you feel the overwhelming need to wear a wedding band, I’m not sure I would do the large bezel side stones, but that’s a personal taste issue. They are gorgeous and an infinity band would require a spacer for sure, but also possibly take away from the engagement ring design. Especially on such a tiny hand. I don’t wear a wedding band, so I’m biased. I’ve just never cared for one or seen the point I guess? i think with a simple solitaire and plain band, an Infinity wedding band is really pretty, but I’ve also never been personally drawn to solitaires without diamonds on the band.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the DK CAD is pretty close and with some of the tweaks mentioned will have all the features you want. I think what the PSers are saying is that if you want the perfection of the flow of the TGP, you need a designer to help meld the designs and angles to achieve that. Personally, I'd ask for the changes from DK and see what the version looks like.

Second thought on the side view, you presently have 3 diamonds per side (6 total). But, the rosecut used by TGP is very thin compared to a modern diamond. Rose cuts are basically the girdle and crown of a diamond. To achieve that with a modern brilliant, those stone will stick out much more and I think make the ring really awkward. That is likely why DK spec'd smaller stones. If you want them larger in diameter like the TGP, than rose cuts would be the way to go. So, I would not make the larger unless you are going to use rose-cuts.

1575162470473.png

1575162598401.png

Heres a modern diamond in a similar side-setting.

The red lines show the diamond girle width relative to the bezel-diamond. The ring is twisted a bit, so they are not even, but you can see the bezel anyway.

1575162788100.png

Froggy5987

Rough_Rock
I had mentioned wanting rose cut. I really like the way they look. That is helpful to see the differences in photos thanks for that!

I was literally about to buy a setting from the mall so the cad dk is making me looks like a dream come true to me. I really just love the idea of those two rings being incorporated into one ring. I am a little bummed that I won’t be able to wear a diamond wedding band without a spacer but I am so glad that I know that now.
I really do like the cad and with the changes above I think it’ll be absolutely beautiful. I really do appreciate all of the help! And Patience you ladies have shown me.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay. Well as a new person on here I have no idea about that. I apologize if my post upset you. I’m sure you can understand the excitement that comes with these types of things We were hoping to get engaged by Christmas but the longer I wait to make my decisions the longer this is going to take.

I’m not good at CADs sorry. Not many people get that technical.

FWIW, I wear my split shank asscher without a wedding band most of the time.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results