carat
color
clarity

CAD help - OMC

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Hi fam!

I need your eyes and advice :)
I have a starting off point for a CAD with DK. It’s a great start but what am I missing? In my inspiration picture I told them I’m not a huge fan of scrollwork so they left it out completely. What should I do in that space? Leave it as is or have them do some cutouts and then…I think I like the height overall. Do the proportions look good? Lend me your fresh set of eyes! Thank you <3

IMG_1959.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DK 102397-QUAD-1.png
    DK 102397-QUAD-1.png
    665 KB · Views: 49

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Did you not care for the cathedral? Would some delicate milgrain help make it less naked to you?

I'm sorry, I'm sure it's because I'm tired and my eyes are dry but I couldn't see the height in mm.

Where would you do the cutouts? I think the diamonds on the shoulder add enough. If you don't want scroll work, I am going to try to find the ring that had the most delicate and dare I say simple engraving on it. It was lovely. I will look in the morning. Your stone is beautiful!!!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn't think of the word, beading. What about beading?

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Did you not care for the cathedral? Would some delicate milgrain help make it less naked to you?

I'm sorry, I'm sure it's because I'm tired and my eyes are dry but I couldn't see the height in mm.

Where would you do the cutouts? I think the diamonds on the shoulder add enough. If you don't want scroll work, I am going to try to find the ring that had the most delicate and dare I say simple engraving on it. It was lovely. I will look in the morning. Your stone is beautiful!!!

Hi!!! I do like the profile of the original inspiration picture but wanted to do something different than scrolls. I don’t want it completely closed in like the CAD shows. I can’t wait to see the delicate engraving - you have excellent taste! The height comes in at about 7mm so not too tall. And yes, David said he could do some milgrain work on the shank :) and thank you!!!

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm not an expert but to give a layman first impression, it looks lovely, I like the clean lines of your CAD, no the scroll to disract from the diamonds.

Secondly, I'd add cut outs underneath the side stones and/or on the side of the cathedral/shoulder so you can clean the side stones. Like shown in your second example (3rd photo). Keeping my stones squeaky clean and sparkling is top priority for me.

The height should be comfortable, I think my own ring is about the same, center stone is set about 6.5mm high and it never bothers me. I have fairly small hands, size 4.75 ring finger, if a comparison helps. But if you have any rings that are a similar height, or can get a tester, probably good idea to wear that around doing normal day to day activities and see how it feels.

I'm sure the eagle eyed PS experts will have great advice. Good luck hope you'll share your finished piece!

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the open area under the cathedral as in the second set of photos you posted. Seems classic.

The style of ring you are choosing is art deco (1920s) and the cut of the diamond harkens to the late 1800s, so Victorian. Just wanted to point that out in case you felt any tension there with the styles.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!!! I do like the profile of the original inspiration picture but wanted to do something different than scrolls. I don’t want it completely closed in like the CAD shows. I can’t wait to see the delicate engraving - you have excellent taste! The height comes in at about 7mm so not too tall. And yes, David said he could do some milgrain work on the shank :) and thank you!!!

Hi! :) I have no business commenting on a CAD right now lol! I'm not great at it when I can see clearly lol! I emailed you about the engraving. I couldn't get a decent enough picture from the video. I think 7mm sounds great! I need to get off Pricescope for the night! I have no taste at all tonight, you're just being kind ;-)

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I'm not an expert but to give a layman first impression, it looks lovely, I like the clean lines of your CAD, no the scroll to disract from the diamonds.

Secondly, I'd add cut outs underneath the side stones and/or on the side of the cathedral/shoulder so you can clean the side stones. Like shown in your second example (3rd photo). Keeping my stones squeaky clean and sparkling is top priority for me.

The height should be comfortable, I think my own ring is about the same, center stone is set about 6.5mm high and it never bothers me. I have fairly small hands, size 4.75 ring finger, if a comparison helps. But if you have any rings that are a similar height, or can get a tester, probably good idea to wear that around doing normal day to day activities and see how it feels.

I'm sure the eagle eyed PS experts will have great advice. Good luck hope you'll share your finished piece!

I love your username :)

Ok, good - I really don’t think the scrolls work either.

I definitely agree, there needs to be cutouts for cleaning and I think just to break it up a bit.

I think the height is good. My current ring is 6.5mm so this won’t sit too much higher and I think my previous ring was closer to 7.5mm which also didn’t bother me at all :)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I like the open area under the cathedral as in the second set of photos you posted. Seems classic.

The style of ring you are choosing is art deco (1920s) and the cut of the diamond harkens to the late 1800s, so Victorian. Just wanted to point that out in case you felt any tension there with the styles.

Ok, excellent - having people agree on the open area makes me feel like I’m on the right path!

I don’t mind about the styles not lining up. I’m not worried so long as the end design is pleasing to my eyes :)

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Hi! :) I have no business commenting on a CAD right now lol! I'm not great at it when I can see clearly lol! I emailed you about the engraving. I couldn't get a decent enough picture from the video. I think 7mm sounds great! I need to get off Pricescope for the night! I have no taste at all tonight, you're just being kind ;-)

Awwww, thank you! I’m going to look for the posting you referred to! You’re always such a great help! I hope you have a lovely evening <3

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Ok, the latest revision to the CAD with open shoulders. I think the proportions look good. It sits a little lower than I would like but I don’t know if it will throw everything else off to raise it? It’s really hard to picture the end product with milgrain and hand engraving. Right now it looks kind of plain. DK 102397-QUAD.jpeg

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Looking great! Will they provide a wax mold? Maybe that would help you get a better vision of the final ring.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Looking great! Will they provide a wax mold? Maybe that would help you get a better vision of the final ring.
They definitely will :) I try my best to think of every little thing and make changes to the CAD before I ask for a mold - I’d hate to waste resources on back-and-forth.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I would prefer a smaller donut and a more curved basket if it was my own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results