shape
carat
color
clarity

Cad feedback for cluster ring?

rubyruby

Rough_Rock
After months of going back and forth between buying a true antique cluster ring or creating my own, I’ve decided to reach out to David Klass to help create one for me. I’ve been a fan of his for a while and I have to admit that I totally fell in love with @Paisley2628’s cluster and figured a reproduction would give me the peace of mind of a well-set ring!

My OEC comes from OWD (it’s super cute and just the right amount of wonkyness) and I’m asking DK to source the cluster stones. He provided a cad that I am very happy with, but I’m wondering if anyone has input on any modifications? Like, if you could design a cluster repro, what would you do? This will primarily be a right hand ring for me, but I imagine it will pair nicely with my bands on my left hand too (plus a ring sizer or something like that!).

A couple things I’ve already asked DK about:
  • How thick is the bezel around the center stone? It looks very thick in the cad, but that might just be how cads look. I’d like this bezel to have a millgrain detailing, so perhaps that is factored in
  • I’ve asked for another cad with 3.5mm cluster diamonds just for comparison
  • The shank is listed as 2.75mm but he said it will be 2.5mm—I’m assuming the polishing will take off some mm. I’d like the tri-wire to be visible, but I’ve searched other cads on the forums with thinner tri-wires, so I’m wondering if I can go down to 2.2mm or similar
Thank you for reading :)

DK 73612-QUAD-1.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tri wire - the one I used to have from him had the CAD at 2.33mm so it can be done thinner and ended up having a nice feel to it.

The cluster stone prongs - are you going for tab like lower profile prongs (like paisley’s cluster has) or claw like prongs with a higher rounded profile?

The bezel - it looks to be measuring less than a mm wide - how thin do you thjno you may want it? And be secure?
Now - the height of the bezel - if you can imagine the cad depicting the cluster stone prongs being in their final position - do you like where the bezel height is?

No real suggestions - just thoughts on choices for you
It’s going to be very pretty!

rubyruby

Rough_Rock
Tri wire - the one I used to have from him had the CAD at 2.33mm so it can be done thinner and ended up having a nice feel to it.

The cluster stone prongs - are you going for tab like lower profile prongs (like paisley’s cluster has) or claw like prongs with a higher rounded profile?

The bezel - it looks to be measuring less than a mm wide - how thin do you thjno you may want it? And be secure?
Now - the height of the bezel - if you can imagine the cad depicting the cluster stone prongs being in their final position - do you like where the bezel height is?

No real suggestions - just thoughts on choices for you
It’s going to be very pretty!

Thanks for your comments—this has helped me think some things through!

For the prongs, I requested claws because they are my favorite. I love how dainty they look from the top, and don’t mind them rounding up a little higher.

And regarding the bezel—I definitely want it and the stone to be secure, I’m just not sure how thin I can go. I imagine DK knows what he’s doing so I just asked how many mm it’s planned to be.

And I do like the height of the bezel compared to the other stones; I requested it sit a little higher. I think it adds a nice prominence to the center stone, but could be convinced that it might look bad. BUT I should ask how many mm up it sits.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
It looks great. I’m having him design a ring for me right now too but it’s a whole different type of ring. My only comment is that those outer prongs on the halo may catch on things. I also tend to like the look of the ‘rub over’ semi-bezel around the outside halo on vintage rings. You could still have the in between prongs but remove the single outer prongs and instead use a thin metal rub over. Not sure how to describe it but hopefully that makes sense.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might get more comments if you provide a picture of @Paisley2628 's ring...or a link to it.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to update this thread with a photo I grabbed from DK’s video. I cannot wait for this to arrive! 4FAC6DC9-0D1F-4609-8D9D-8068A3DAC945.jpeg

I saw this yesterday in his IG and I was floored. I can’t wait to see hand shots! It’s stunning!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Saw the ring on IG yesterday and hoped it belonged to a PS’er - congratulation!

rubyruby

Rough_Rock
Grabbed a few inside photos when the ring arrived yesterday to share—I’ll make a more detailed smtb thread because this ring is INSANE. So gorgeous, so well made, and so much sparkle!! And the oec is to die for ❤️

BC1C0EBD-16F7-4512-868F-AE9266A4CD8B.jpeg B2012B26-D749-4162-BA10-67599FA5EE23.jpeg F1C0B89A-A17D-4DA8-B460-A31D0B4B0B6A.jpeg 4FFFB229-0A3E-4E3B-A0BA-5A2EBE9E94A2.jpeg D334A777-09A3-4594-AA19-2694BC157B9D.jpeg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Grabbed a few inside photos when the ring arrived yesterday to share—I’ll make a more detailed smtb thread because this ring is INSANE. So gorgeous, so well made, and so much sparkle!! And the oec is to die for ❤️

BC1C0EBD-16F7-4512-868F-AE9266A4CD8B.jpeg B2012B26-D749-4162-BA10-67599FA5EE23.jpeg F1C0B89A-A17D-4DA8-B460-A31D0B4B0B6A.jpeg 4FFFB229-0A3E-4E3B-A0BA-5A2EBE9E94A2.jpeg D334A777-09A3-4594-AA19-2694BC157B9D.jpeg

I just can't. This ring is simply to die for. The detail and the two tone and cut of the OEC and the craftsmanship. Ugh...I have no words. STUNNING!!!

rubyruby

Rough_Rock
I just can't. This ring is simply to die for. The detail and the two tone and cut of the OEC and the craftsmanship. Ugh...I have no words. STUNNING!!!

thank you!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results