shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD design price

kmbrl01

Rough_Rock
Hi all

Me and my wife have anniversary coming up, and I was thinking of present her with a diamond ring in custom made design.
I have found designer which works I like and got in touch with him. He was happy to help and all, but unfortunately shipping cost from his country will be just too high, so he offered to make CAD models and renders for me, so I can take it to the local jeweller and make a ring based on his technical and graphical information. The questions are
1) Will jewellers work with someone else's CAD design?
2) How much can CAD design itself can cost, as I just have no idea at all?

appreciate your help and advice.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your anniversary, first of all :). Finding someone to work with another's CADs isn't the problem I see; it's finding someone who has the skill to execute the ring the way your designer would. Take a look at common designs such as solitaires, basic halos, split-shanks, etc. The designs are essentially the same but the quality of how it's executed makes the ring amazing or just blah. As the saying goes... it's the little things that make all the difference.

As for cost of CADs, mine was $750.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
1) Will jewellers work with someone else's CAD design?
Maybe, who is responsible for the resulting piece should there be a problem? I would advise having the same person make the computer model and make the ending piece just so that there's a clear line of responsibility for the final work. That said I would expect that anyone who's asked to do this would either be very clear about their level of responsibility or, more likely, do it on the condition that they can offer and make any changes that would make the design better. Make sure to ask about this or you could be left hanging at the end of the project.
2) How much can CAD design itself can cost, as I just have no idea at all?
Design cost depends greatly upon time spent, total estimated final cost of the piece, (many designers will do the design for free or a low cost if the job is a high end one. I would expect a moderately complex project to cost in the $300 to $500 range and a very complex project to be double that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results