shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD Concerns

brittanyW

Rough_Rock
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, but I ordered a 4.57 carat round diamond from Loose Grown Diamond, and here are the CADs I received. My immediate concern is the height of the setting. I know that it’s a large stone, but isn’t there a way to lower the shoulders a little bit so it doesn’t sit so high? They told me the setting could not be any lower. Thanks for any input CAD.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D2.jpeg
    3D2.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3D1.jpeg
    3D1.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 6

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have the same setting with an 8.5mm lab. The culet is just about sitting on my finger due to the stone's height and the setting design. The depth is what it is. It fills the depth of that style's setting. You could go a bit lower probably with a different setting like Lyra or Selene.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.12.03 PM.png Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.14.04 PM.png

brittanyW

Rough_Rock
I have the same setting with an 8.5mm lab. The culet is just about sitting on my finger due to the stone's height and the setting design. The depth is what it is. It fills the depth of that style's setting. You could go a bit lower probably with a different setting like Lyra or Selene.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.12.03 PM.png Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.14.04 PM.png

Thanks so much, do you think you could post some photos of your ring? I would love to see it.

joe2

Rough_Rock
This is the setting that they are working on for my wife. It's a plain setting but it looked to be the lowest shouldered setting they offered.
CAD (2).png

Attachments

• 3D2 (2).jpg
    3D2 (2).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 7

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like my setting is 2mm deeper than my stone, fyi. I don't have a photo of the profile. I'll try to get one tomorrow.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, but I ordered a 4.57 carat round diamond from Loose Grown Diamond, and here are the CADs I received. My immediate concern is the height of the setting. I know that it’s a large stone, but isn’t there a way to lower the shoulders a little bit so it doesn’t sit so high? They told me the setting could not be any lower. Thanks for any input CAD.jpeg

You could ask for them to add a donut which would reduce the distance of the culet from your finger. The side effect of adding the donut would be potentially adding a gap between the wedding band and ring.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @molecule. A donut would bring down the stone slightly. The location of the culet determines height, not the shoulders. Thing is, you bring down the culet with a donut, the prongs will likely rub against adjacent bands.

Just curious - what's the width of your band? I feel like your ring is at risk of spinning given the size of the stone. I have a 2.17 ct and 1.8mm band, and it spins.

brittanyW

Rough_Rock
I agree with @molecule. A donut would bring down the stone slightly. The location of the culet determines height, not the shoulders. Thing is, you bring down the culet with a donut, the prongs will likely rub against adjacent bands.

Just curious - what's the width of your band? I feel like your ring is at risk of spinning given the size of the stone. I have a 2.17 ct and 1.8mm band, and it spins.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. :) The width of the band was supposed to be 1.8, but I asked them to make it 2mm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results