shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD check on my 1.3 carat OEC engagement ring

sashimi

Rough_Rock
Hello all! Here is the second round of CADs on my AB Alva-inspired engagement ring. I have a few questions:

- I asked to have the band by the leaf side detail be a knife edge that blends into a round band. But now thinking maybe it should just be round all over?
- Should the donut be any wider or taller?
- Should the side diamonds in the leaf be more flush with the leaf bezel (making the leaf a little narrower/shorter)? Right now there’s a tiny bit of gap.
- Will the leaf side details be filled in with gold, or do I need to tell them that?
- The thickness of the band is 1.9mm and the width is 2mm. I have smaller hands (4.5), so should the ring be thinner?

Thanks for your help!! IMG_4781.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4797.jpeg
    IMG_4797.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4780.jpeg
    IMG_4780.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4779.jpeg
    IMG_4779.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4778.jpeg
    IMG_4778.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4851.jpeg
    IMG_4851.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 5

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think if you want the low bowl shape of your inspo ring, you might want an ever so slightly larger diameter for the donut.

The knife edge idea is great. Would you milgrain it?

And disclaimer- I am no cad expert, at all. I have approved some awful cads only to scrap the idea at Wax model stage.

Edited to delete superfluous stuff that you already addressed . I just read too fast!

Last edited:

sashimi

Rough_Rock
20240330_003334.gif

And because I am insane, I made a GIF of the 2 rings. The 2 are almost identical aside from band thickness and donut.

Wow, you’re amazing! And I am just as insane, I’ve been photoshopping the CAD onto my hand

sashimi

Rough_Rock
I think if you want the low bowl shape of your inspo ring, you might want an ever so slightly larger diameter for the donut.

The knife edge idea is great. Would you milgrain it?

And disclaimer- I am no cad expert, at all. I have approved some awful cads only to scrap the idea at Wax model stage.

Edited to delete superfluous stuff that you already addressed . I just read too fast!

Thanks!! Makes sense, I was thinking of asking for a slightly larger donut!

It’s not noticeable on this CAD, but this actually has a subtle knife edge from the leaves that smoothes into a round band. But I don’t really know how I’d like the look of that since it ruins the soft look. I’m just hoping it doesn’t look too blunt to not have the tri-wire or knife edge to blend the leaf into the band

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
If you don’t think you will like the look of the knife edge then you don’t have to do it. But IMHO just a little bit of a knife edge will highlight the leaves.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Have you given thought to your wedding band? If you lower the diamond/enlarge the donut, your band will sit even further away. As it is, your band will not sit flush (unless you're going for a curved band).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results