shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD Check on JP Ring

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
Working with JannPaul to put create an engagement ring for my gf. They just came back with with the first round of CAD, and I was hoping to get some input and a second opinion. I tried to ensure it'll be reasonably sound structurally when selecting a design. Stone is a 2 ct round, and the band is 2 mm thick.

I was pretty heavily inspired by this design: https://www.instagram.com/jannpaul/p/C0eUunOyaLQ/?img_index=1. Overall I'm pretty happy with how the CAD came out. My two concerns are as follows:

1. Whether or not the diamond is set too high. I want the diamond to be prominent and allow a wedding band to sit flush if she decides she wants that. Does this look okay, or should I consider lowering the bridge?
  2. The proportions of the bridge, arches, and prongs have changed from the inspiration design (as of course we have gone from an oval to a round). I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I like it as much. Does there seem like there's too much metal from the head surrounding the diamond? Should I modify the arches to be a little more apparent like they are in the inspiration design?
I'm well aware the magnified view really highlights the side profile and these details may be less important when viewing the ring at its actual scale. Probably overthinking it, just want to make sure I nail it. Thanks! V1 (9).png

Attachments

• V1 (8).png
    V1 (8).png
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • V1 (3).png
    V1 (3).png
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • V1 (6).png
    V1 (6).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • V1 (2).png
    V1 (2).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • V1 (4).png
    V1 (4).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 42

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Personally, a couple of things stand out. I do think it’s set a bit high, but the melee is going to be an issue if you want a band to sit flush. Not only will it be covered by the band, but the band will eat away at the prongs, eventually causing the stones to fall out. Could you put the diamonds along the basket instead? You’re pretty much paying extra for diamonds you’ll never see. The only other option I can see is to widen the band a smidge at the shoulders so it sticks out further than the diamonds do to sit flush with a band.

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, congrats and it looks amazing!

I wonder if they can give you a measurement on how high the basket is from the finger. Like you said, you want the band to sit flush. Do you know what kind of band you're getting? Is is an eternity band which will need a lot of height?

The inspiration has more diamonds on the bridge, but they also look smaller. The bridge also seems to start a little sider than yours. Just a matter of taste, I think.

Definitely ask if another ring rubbing against the prongs of the bridge diamonds. To my eye it looks like the diamonds are recessed from the edge of the band, but there's only so much you can squeeze into 2mm! :lol:

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I'm actually not too worried about the bridge melee diamonds causing issues with the wedding band. The bridge itself is thinner than the main shank. I've attached an annotated photo that highlights the transition from the shank to the bridge, and there will be a gap between the bridge and the wedding band. I'll plan to ask JP how large this gap is and whether they expect issues from it. The cost to have the melees there is pretty light, they are on both sides of the bridge, and I kinda like the basket how it is.

I'll also ask about the height between the finger and basket. Knowing her style I doubt she'd go for an eternity band with large stones. I'm thinking 2 mm clearance should give a lot of space for a good variety of wedding band styles, does that seem reasonable?
V1 (4).png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS and congratulations in advance!

I am not an expert, however, when I saw the CADs, my immediate reaction was concerns for the high setting, followed by concerns with regard to potential issues with a wedding band rubbing against the shank with diamonds etc. already mentioned by the others.

It is pretty, however, way to high for me.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others, it is too high for my personal preference.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
How exciting for you! Welcome! I wanted to echo others on here and say that when I first saw the CAD I was struck at how high the setting is - beautiful start though!

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
Alright so thought it through and considered all your opinions, thanks for providing them. I think it makes sense to lower the diamond a bit. I'm going to ask for a render with a lowered bridge. Thinking a bridge similar to this one: https://frankdarling.com/engagement-rings/cathedral-royale-pave-cushion/.

Should lower the diamond around a millimeter and likely have the potential for a flush or near-flush mating with a variety of wedding bands. Touched base with my girlfriend, and based on that conversation I think there will be a preference for something a little lower. Also sounds like the flush WB requirement can be relaxed a little.

I'll see how the new CAD looks and figure out how to proceed from there. Thanks so much!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Alright so thought it through and considered all your opinions, thanks for providing them. I think it makes sense to lower the diamond a bit. I'm going to ask for a render with a lowered bridge. Thinking a bridge similar to this one: https://frankdarling.com/engagement-rings/cathedral-royale-pave-cushion/.

Should lower the diamond around a millimeter and likely have the potential for a flush or near-flush mating with a variety of wedding bands. Touched base with my girlfriend, and based on that conversation I think there will be a preference for something a little lower. Also sounds like the flush WB requirement can be relaxed a little.

I'll see how the new CAD looks and figure out how to proceed from there. Thanks so much!

Is it possible to get a 3D model of the ring so you can see it in person? I’ve always found it helpful when the vendor is able to send one out - it really gives you a much better idea of what the finished piece will look like and where it sits on the hand =)2

kaisersoze

Rough_Rock
Working with JannPaul to put create an engagement ring for my gf. They just came back with with the first round of CAD, and I was hoping to get some input and a second opinion. I tried to ensure it'll be reasonably sound structurally when selecting a design. Stone is a 2 ct round, and the band is 2 mm thick.

I was pretty heavily inspired by this design: https://www.instagram.com/jannpaul/p/C0eUunOyaLQ/?img_index=1. Overall I'm pretty happy with how the CAD came out. My two concerns are as follows:

1. Whether or not the diamond is set too high. I want the diamond to be prominent and allow a wedding band to sit flush if she decides she wants that. Does this look okay, or should I consider lowering the bridge?
  2. The proportions of the bridge, arches, and prongs have changed from the inspiration design (as of course we have gone from an oval to a round). I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I like it as much. Does there seem like there's too much metal from the head surrounding the diamond? Should I modify the arches to be a little more apparent like they are in the inspiration design?
I'm well aware the magnified view really highlights the side profile and these details may be less important when viewing the ring at its actual scale. Probably overthinking it, just want to make sure I nail it. Thanks! V1 (9).png

Out of curiousity, how long did it take you to get the CAD renderings? I'm at just over 2 weeks now waiting on something.

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
Yep, will be receiving a wax model, very excited for that!

kaisersoze - Took a little over two weeks. Avery said Chinese New Years slowed things down a bit but wasn't too bad for me. I'd expect to hear back soon unless you have a super crazy design.

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
Alright received an updated set of renders back from JannPaul. I'd say they look really good! Note that the ring itself will be yellow gold; there was a bit of a miscommunication between my SA and the designer with this render but that shouldn't matter for evaluating the ring design.

Bridge was lowered at least 1 mm and the diamond appears to be set much lower. Shifted around the accent diamonds on the shank to my preferences as well. The accent diamonds on the bridge are recessed 0.3–0.4 mm from the side of the shank. That distance sounds sufficient to me to prevent them scratching the wedding band/wedding band wearing down their prongs. I realize it would be significantly harder to flush mount a wb with the diamond set this low, but I get peace of mind knowing that the bridge diamonds should be fine if flush-mounting is possible.

I'm very pleased with how this is converging personally, but I would love some feedback on the new design if y'all have thoughts.

V2 (4).png

Attachments

• V2 (6).png
    V2 (6).png
    827.3 KB · Views: 27
  • V2 (10).png
    V2 (10).png
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • V2 (9).png
    V2 (9).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • V2 (3).png
    V2 (3).png
    944.4 KB · Views: 26
  • V2 (2).png
    V2 (2).png
    944.7 KB · Views: 25
  • V2 (1).png
    V2 (1).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • V2 (5).png
    V2 (5).png
    980.5 KB · Views: 24

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better! I like that it sits lower and I like the new placement of the side diamonds so you can see them outside of the main
diamond. I think it looks good!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I would try to find out whether or not your partner wants a flush set. It's an extremely personal preference, completely unpredictable. I'm such a precision person that the sliver of gap would drive me nuts - and every time I looked at my hand, I'd be a little annoyed. And anytime we'd have an argument, I think the gap would annoy me a little more. :lol:

But some people are charmed/nonplussed by the gap.

Are you thinking an eternity band? A plain gold band? The presence or absence of diamonds will make a big difference. This is why many people recommend designing the wedding set together rather than designing the wedding band as an afterthought.

I do like the new CAD, though. Looks lovely.

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend is fairly neutral having a flush-mounted wb from what I gather. If she wants an eternity ring, I presume it would be more pave/small stones knowing her style.

I agree, it would be easier to design the set together from the start, but that's not going to happen in this case. My gf would like the e-ring to be a surprise before the proposal, and I think it'd be best for her to have the opportunity to pick her wb so she has complete control over how one of the rings looks at the very least. As a consequence, I have to make a judgement call on some of the finer details for the e-ring, but overall I think reducing the height is the best way forward.

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results