shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD/Cast detail quality.

Wildview

Rough_Rock
I have a budget of roughly $5500 for stone+setting. I'm looking for a 0.70-0.80 Emerald Cut and a delicate, platinum(heirloom wedding band is platinum), antique style halo setting with melee on the ring shaft. I anticipate I'll have to allot roughly $2000-3000 towards the setting. Obviously my budget will not allow for the quality hand forging of VC, SK, LM. I'm looking for recommendations of CAD/Cast setting designers that will still look like a good quality setting. Neither of us want to upgrade the band or stone in the future. Thanks for checking this out, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wildview|1393030876|3620419 said:
I have a budget of roughly $5500 for stone+setting. I'm looking for a 0.70-0.80 Emerald Cut and a delicate, platinum(heirloom wedding band is platinum), antique style halo setting with melee on the ring shaft. I anticipate I'll have to allot roughly $2000-3000 towards the setting. Obviously my budget will not allow for the quality hand forging of VC, SK, LM. I'm looking for recommendations of CAD/Cast setting designers that will still look like a good quality setting. Neither of us want to upgrade the band or stone in the future. Thanks for checking this out, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge.
ERD . source a great EC and make the setting as well

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GoG is a Beverley K dealer.. they have great settings of that style...affordably and csn source a fantastic EC as well. Alsi Beverly K can custimize and thier prices are great and so is the quality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some setting options for you budget from Beverly K:
BUY FROM GOOD OLD GOLD THOUGH (NOT FROM THIS PLACE, but the pricing is good to know):

http://www.elizabetajewelry.com/products/beverley-k-diamond-engagement-ring-semi-mount-center-stone-not-included-number-9022-slash-65ac (will let you put most of your budget toward the center stone).

http://www.elizabetajewelry.com/products/beverley-k-diamond-engagement-ring-semi-mount-center-stone-not-included-number-370-slash-65 $500 more, but also lovely and still leaves you a great budget for the center stone.

This one as well (don't know price but hopefully close to the pricing of the other two): http://www.beverleyk.com/r370-a-d-d-cz.html

Neither jeweler has any EC's on their website I like but they are both EXCELLENT at finding gorgeous step cuts and can call in lovely options for you with no issue at all.

You are going to want ask for the "an emerald cut with a small table and fabulous performance H or better color and completely eyeclean VS2 or better clarity with a length width ratio of preferably over 1.35 but ideally the in 1.45-1.5 range and a crown height of over 11%"

Okay?

Also GOG may come in higher than the prices listed above on the settings. Just send them the links though, and ask them to price match.

Going with GOG and Beverly K is the best way to maximize your budget as custom though ERD will almost certainly cost more than 1500 and probably even more than 2000.

Wildview

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - Thanks for the links. I've actually been viewing the Bev K rings for a few days through the Bev K site, GOG and Pearlman's(Pearlman's having the clearest pictures, but different ring codes). I've received quotes on 5 vintage halo, platinum, all of which came in between $2,500 and $3,700 from GOG using Bev K ring codes. The 370 you listed was probably my favorite of the 5 but came in at $3200. This will come in at a significant chunk of my budget which is less than desirable. The only two below $3,000 came in at 2.5k and 2.6k respectively which is manageable R378, http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r378-a-d-d-cz.html R864, http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r864-a-wf-d-d-cz.html. Are the Beverly K settings a better quality CAD/Cast than most ? Are their any other designers you'd recommend ? I hope it's acceptable to post quotes on here, seems relevant to my situation/question.

Thanks on the diamond tips, thanks to David Atlas, Jon's videos from GOG and numerous others I feel pretty well versed. Unfortunately with the EC it's not just numbers so I'll have to rely on the eyes of another and video. Still I welcome all input any of you may have!

Thanks!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've just asked Jonathon at GOG to price match a Beverly K setting and he said yes so it's definitely worth asking :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't realize it before... but this IS the 370: http://www.elizabetajewelry.com/products/beverley-k-diamond-engagement-ring-semi-mount-center-stone-not-included-number-370-slash-65 $500 more, but also lovely and still leaves you a great budget for the center stone.

It's just one set with a different center than the one on the Beverly K site. It actually says 370 and so does the link.

So GOG SHOULD be willing to price match that one.

I'd give it a shot. It never hurts to ask... and make sure you tell them Pricescope told you that they should be able to, and share this link if you have to!

Otherwise, call Pearlmans and get their quote and then see if GOG will price match that if it is reasonable!

Wildview

Rough_Rock
It's actually $162 higher than GOG price of $3200. The prices initially listed at Elizabeta are for 18k gold, you have to manually select platinum. Her grandmother's wedding band is platinum so I'm trying to match metal to metal. Either way if I can find it cheaper elsewhere I'll ask GOG to price match. Bev K has numerous antique halo rings but it seems hard to distinguish one from the others do to picture quantity/quality. The Elizabeta page does help though as prices are listed and the Bev K codes are included, thanks! I may just have to suck it up and increase my budget or find satisfaction with a lesser setting.

Any other designer recommendations ?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OPPS SORRY!

OK. I missed the platinum requirement.

My apologies.

In that case.

Here's the thing about Beverly K. They are mass produced (although made to order for your stone's dimensions). What does that mean? Well, the quality is proven and many people on here have them and been wearing them happily for years. I would happily buy one of their settings. And for pave styles that's the best praise I would give. Pave is easy to do wrong. Beverly K does it right. If there is any issue then they will fix it.

ERD also has a strong proven track record both for custom work and for pave with CAD. So I can't say one is better than another, but there is always risk with custom as-- even with CAD images-- there is a degree of uncertainty in the final product that you don't have with pieces like Beverly K that you can see and touch ( you can go to a local Beverly K retailer and go check out their products yourself). I have seen custom work from them and the quality is very good. If there is any issue they will fix it.

I would also buy, in a heartbeat, a custom pave setting from ERD.

So... I don't think there is a bad decision to make.

I think you should go for the nicest style your budget can afford. And honestly you can get a plain shank halo. A design with a diamonds surrounding the center stone (halo) but no diamonds on the shank (that's what I have). It's a way to save money. And ERD can do that for you. And then you can just get the shank hang engraved by them. So... win/win.

I could recommend Gabriel and Co. The price point is very good and GOG carries them and they have an EC vintage style halo. But I personally have not seen their pave and with pave, I don't recommend anything I myself haven't seen in person and examined and have friends purchase happily. It's just not worth it. You can ask GOG and see what they say about their experience with the pave, and they will tell you honestly. I wouldn't buy Gabriel's pave RIGHT NOW, though. So I can't recommend it in good conscience.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
i know you mentioned that you don't want to upgrade stone or setting in the future, but since you are thinking about allocating close to half of your budget toward a setting, you may want to consider getting the best EC you can in a plain solitaire and then getting the setting in the future.

i say this from the perspective of someone who has been married for almost 15 years. i got a plain solitaire setting (round stone) when i got engaged many years ago because that was what i wanted (budget, etc were not considerations). i have not upgraded or changed my stone or setting since then, but am considering changing the setting just to mix things up and to celebrate a wonderful marriage. while it would be considered an upgrade since the original setting is plain, i just see it as a nice way to commemorate a special anniversary.

just food for thought.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slksapphire|1393125917|3620933 said:
i know you mentioned that you don't want to upgrade stone or setting in the future, but since you are thinking about allocating close to half of your budget toward a setting, you may want to consider getting the best EC you can in a plain solitaire and then getting the setting in the future.

i say this from the perspective of someone who has been married for almost 15 years. i got a plain solitaire setting (round stone) when i got engaged many years ago because that was what i wanted (budget, etc were not considerations). i have not upgraded or changed my stone or setting since then, but am considering changing the setting just to mix things up and to celebrate a wonderful marriage. while it would be considered an upgrade since the original setting is plain, i just see it as a nice way to commemorate a special anniversary.

just food for thought.

This is a good point.

And this is exactly what I did.
I wanted a square emerald cut (generic asscher). And also wanted a fancy setting in platinum.
Something had to give. So I had to make a decision. My husband got the nicest asscher he could in a $300 white gold setting.
I kept my temporary setting for 4 years.
I took my time. Saved up money. Did my research. Tried on a ton of settings to see what looks best on my hand.
And then I upgraded the setting.

Wildview

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - thanks for the tips. I haven't been able to locate a Bev K dealer in the Cincinnati area but I'll keep looking. Hopefully I can check out some of the settings in person. I'll also take a look at ERD to see what options are available.

slksapphire - I was very close to a Canera European cut with a platinum solitaire without input from the g/f. Right before I pulled the trigger my g/f decided she wanted to browse some B&M's to give me an idea. After trying on some rounds we both agreed the longer stones such as oval/emerald looked better on her hand. She also gave me a lot of input on the settings and unfortunately the solitaire look I like didn't make the cut. I'm kind of sentimental in that I don't want to change the stone and setting that was ring she said yes to, though I make no judgement on those who do. I'll definitely give it some more thought however.

Back to the grind...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results