shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying without a Return Policy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hello PS''ers,

I''ve been working with a couple of different vendors, trying to find the perfect fancy yellow stone at a nice price. Well, a trusted PS vendor has come up with a great price on a stone, but says that with the fancy colors, he can''t offer a return policy, which makes me nervous. I have actually *seen* the stone myself, but still feel nervous, because I won''t be able to get an appraisal. It''s not a small purchase, so I would like everything to be "perfect."

What would you do? Keep looking? Buy from a vendor that does have a good return policy on fancies?

Any advice would be wonderful! Thank you so much for your help and support :)

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
no return policy = no deal. Look elsewhere.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 7:56:19 PM
Author:kimikocat
Hello PS''ers,

I''ve been working with a couple of different vendors, trying to find the perfect fancy yellow stone at a nice price. Well, a trusted PS vendor has come up with a great price on a stone, but says that with the fancy colors, he can''t offer a return policy, which makes me nervous. I have actually *seen* the stone myself, but still feel nervous, because I won''t be able to get an appraisal. It''s not a small purchase, so I would like everything to be ''perfect.''

What would you do? Keep looking? Buy from a vendor that does have a good return policy on fancies?

Any advice would be wonderful! Thank you so much for your help and support :)
Yes, absolutely.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why no return?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way on no return policy. What if you misunderstood colors, fancies usually need to be seen.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Well, would the vendor allow the stone to take a trip to an independent appraiser prior to purchase? Otherwise no deal.

caligirl08

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I would absolutely buy from a vendor who allows returns... trust me I''ve spent the past month crying (literally) over a situation that involved a return policy. Good luck- i hope things work out for you :)

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Ummmm, just say no.

Even the eBay sellers are offering 7 day returns now. I can''t think of one good reason why a PS vendor could not give you the stone for 7-10 days. There''s nothing different about fancies, they just need to negotiate the "memo" period with the broker.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
No return policy at all? Not even a chance to have it checked out by an independent appraiser?

Forget that. There's plenty of other fish in the sea. You're a bonafide buyer in a lousy market in the middle of a lousy economy. A reasonable return period is the least a motivated seller could offer.

If not, there's plenty of others. You just have to be patient.

A wise businessman once told me, "Some of the best deals you'll make are the ones you pass on."

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Dear Richard, Cara, Skippy, Whatmeworry, Caligirl, AprilBaby, Ellen, and PurrfectPear:

Apologies for not getting back to my own thread in good time! Been out camping = no internet access.

I am not sure why there is no return policy on fancies from this particular vendor. I haven''t asked about building an independent appraisal into the purchase process, but the vendor''s response seemed pretty cut and dry (he wrote, "There is no return policy on fancies."). On other merchandise, he gives the standard 14 day return window. Perhaps there is not actually an active re-sale market for fancy yellows? It did also strike me as strange. Or maybe the vendors who provide fancy yellows to jewelers are more finicky? I''ve speculated, but given my limited knowledge (this is the first fancy colored diamond that I''ve tried to buy, and though I''ve done my due diligence, I''m no expert!), they''re probably all wild speculations.

I agree -- caveat emptor. I will take my business elsewhere!

kimi

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
a no return policy is a no go!To many problems to mention...protect yourself with a return policy in WRITING.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 6:26:36 PM
Author: jewelerman
a no return policy is a no go!To many problems to mention...protect yourself with a return policy in WRITING.

When buying from an internet vendor, would a careful read of the vendor''s return policy (as posted on the website) be enough, or should I also ask for a written re-statement of the policy (in an email)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results