shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Today... Good Deal? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jlauer

Rough_Rock
Hello,

This is my first post but this forum educated me beyond belief, thank you all.

What i am buying today, unless i get terrible feedback here is.

Round
1.73 ct.
D Color
SI2
61% table
61.3 % depth
measurments are 7.76 x 7.73 x 4.75
EGL Cert.
Ran through Sarin test as an AGS 1.
No Flouresence.

Buying from a Diamond Cutter in Buffalo NY.
Price was $9500 but after haggling i got it to $8900 if i paid by check.

Let me know if you need more info!!!!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/29/2002 11:00:48 AM

Hello,

This is my first post but this forum educated me beyond belief, thank you all.

What i am buying today, unless i get terrible feedback here is.

Round
1.73 ct.
D Color
SI2
61% table
61.3 % depth
measurments are 7.76 x 7.73 x 4.75
EGL Cert.
Ran through Sarin test as an AGS 1.
No Flouresence.

Buying from a Diamond Cutter in Buffalo NY.
Price was $9500 but after haggling i got it to $8900 if i paid by check.

Let me know if you need more info!!!!
----------------

The cut is not so thrilling and the price is high compared to some reputable online sellers. Check prices on www.pricescope.com for diamonds with similar cut proportions and EGL (i.e., not AGS or GIA certs). Also, with an EGL cert, there is a chance that GIA or AGS may have graded this diamond 1-2 color and clarity grades lower. Please post all of the angles noted on the Sarin report.

The SI2 clarity, especially when graded by EGL does not inspire confidence. Is this diamond eye-clean? Is that important to you? You will pay alot for D color (if this is even a true D). Is that important to you? You may be better off coming down in size and going for a GIA graded G SI1 with better cut. A very well cut diamond will look larger and whiter than a more poorly cut stone. At least with GIA, you are more likely to know what you are buying.

I think that you should keep looking around. Make sure that whoever you buy from has a good return policy with adequate time to get the stone to an independent appraiser so you can decide if you want to keep it.

My 2 cents.

jlauer

Rough_Rock
How much would you expect to pay for this then?

I understand that the table is not IDEAL, but that it is in the IDEAL RANGE.

Anyone else have any opinions on this diamond, it would be great to hear them.

jlauer

Rough_Rock
I got some more information on the diamond

Symetry and Polish are V to VG
Crown is 14.10%
Pavilion is 44%

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I just ran a search and found the lowest price for EGL graded similar stone in the web:

1.73 D SI2 60.6% 58% EGL tn-tkf 7.80-7.76x4.72 $7999

I understand that the table is not IDEAL, but that it is in the IDEAL RANGE

I'm affraid there is some confusion here. The stone is far from ideal by all parameters but this shouldn't be a problem as long as you like it and the price is right.

[/u]

jlauer

Rough_Rock
Ok, I just got a fax of the EGL cert.

it only has the crown and pavilion percent on the cert.

i asked for the sarin report but he hand wrote it in, and only gave me 2 measurments...

34 degrees crown angle
41 degrees pavilion angle

Hold the presses.... those angles do not seem right for the associated percentages that are on the cert.

When i enter the angles rather than the percentages in the Halloway Cut Adviser i get a totally differnt score.

Also i found that there is a faint blue foresence in the stone, how will that effect a D colored stone?

Also girdle is medium faceted ... no exact measurments on that.

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
Sounds like a dog to me - bail on it. You should not be getting info like this pieced out to you...

And as the other guys said - you DON’T buy SI2 and "D" colour..... especially in an inferior cut. Chances are you are not getting a "d" anyway. You should be able to do better for the money.

And a little advice for everyone - though color is a matter of taste, actual “d” colored stones can be a little cold - it’s a very subtle thing, but sometimes a little color will greatly enhance the warmth of the diamond, and therefor your girlfriend’s response. - And as a rule, I try to aspire only to “D” colors when I also have superior clarity grades AND a superior cut. When you get this convergence, that’s when you can really max out on the value of each attribute - getting a “D” SI2, or D I1 is like using cheap no-name mix with premium booze. If you are looking for value-for-money, always pick comparable quality attributes - in SI range, “H” is a solid color. Special warning: Never skimp on the cut - always get the best you can (I don’t mean branded, I just mean excellent to very good with great symmetry.)

jlauer

Rough_Rock
Ok,

I have listed the original diamond talked about above and a second diamond i have on hold at another place at really did not interest me compared to the other because of the color.

Question i have is. When i use the HCA and enter the pavilion and crown % for the 1.73ct diamond it scores a 4.8, when i use the angles for those (which are supposed to be more accurate) it scored a 1.8... what give? Can that be right?

Here are the 2 diamonds, i am reffering the the second one.

Shape Round Brilliant
Weight 1.74ct
Measurments 7.96x7.90x4.60
Depth 58.10%
Table 62%
Crown 12%
Pavilion 43.10%
Crown Angle
Pavilion Angle
Girdle MEDIUM
Culet NONE
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD TO VERY GOOD
Clarity SI2
Color H
Flourescence NONE
Certification EGL - Los Angeles

==================================

Shape Round Brilliant
Weight 1.73ct
Measurments 7.76x7.73x4.75
Depth 61.30%
Table 61%
Crown 14%
Pavilion 44.00%
Crown Angle 34 degrees
Pavilion Angle 41 degrees
Girdle MEDIUM FACETED
Culet NONE
Polish GOOD TO VERY GOOD
Symmetry GOOD TO VERY GOOD
Clarity SI2
Color D
Flourescence FAINT BLUE
Certification EGL - Los Angeles

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Question i have is. When i use the HCA and enter the pavilion and crown % for the 1.73ct diamond it scores a 4.8, when i use the angles for those (which are supposed to be more accurate) it scored a 1.8... what give? Can that be right?
----------------

HCA is using angles. When one enters the depth %, HCA uses simple trigonometric formulas to find the angles.

There is obvious error or limited accuracy in either depth% or angles that leads to differen HCA results.

jlauer

Rough_Rock
So i will assume,

Correct me if i am wrong.

That when ran the HCA the first time with the percentages and it came back a 4.8 then it was not accurate becuase it had to compensate for the angels.

But then when i ran it with the angles from the SARIN it came out a 1.8 then the HCA results were are accurate and true to life.

If this is correct let me know, if it is not correct assumption then also let me know and let me know why the assumption is wrong.

Thanks a billion!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
34 and 41 degrees crown and pavilion angles sounds fine as long as they are accurate, which I doubt. It looks more like they have been rounded.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results