shape
carat
color
clarity

buying this week, need your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mf5572

Rough_Rock
I just want to get peoples opinion on this diamond. I might be buying it this week. I had to sacrifice some color for size, but to the naked eye it appears colorless. I am a little unsure about the size of the table. Tell me what you think.

Carats: 1.83
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick
Cutlet: None
Table: 65%
Depth: 59%
Certification: GIA
Price: 8,400

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
yes, table is rather large... otherwise, price is a bit higher than in the internet:

1.81 J SI1 60.8% 58% GIA xt-m no vg gd no 7.89*7.94*4.81 $7449

What are the measurements of your diamond?

mf5572

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I don't have the exact measurments on me right now. I'm not purchasing the diamond on the internet, but from a wholesaler. How do you think the price holds up against wholesalers as opposed to the internet? Do you think the table will affect the brilliance or fire? Is a 65% table still in the good cut range? Thanks in advance for your response.

NYTODD

Rough_Rock
I am also buying a diamond and ring this week. I put a down payment down on a GIA cert diamond with the following specs:
9/21/2001 Report
Round Brilliant 7.17 - 7.24 x 4.30mm 1.37 carat
Depth 59.7%, Table 61%
Girdle Thin to Medium, Culet Small
Polish - Good, Symmetry - Very Good
Clarity - VS1, Color - H, Florescence - None
Is has a Feather, Cloud, and an Indented Natural.

It is from Ultimate Diamond on 47th street in NY and they wanted $7450 for it which they dropped down $50 to match one I looked at from a place on the internet that was similar but 1.33 Carat and a smaller table. I am taking it to IGI for an apprasial tomorrow before I give them my money.
I was afraid to just walk up to a place and buy it but they had the exact setting my girlfriend wanted and the price seemed (to me) to match what I could find on the internet. I didn't give him any information about what I saw before he gave me the price. Also the platinum ring with 6 side stones totalling .43 carats was $650 which was half of what I was quoted before.

Does this seem like a good deal? Am I missing anything?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't call your vendor a wholesaler if he's selling retail...

At least the price is obviously not a wholesale price.

Diamonds in the Internet are listed with small markup to wholesale price (6%-10% depending on cost).

65% table is large for Round stone. Increasing of the table size leads to the loss of light return and dispersion. Diamonds with large tables cost less.

On the other hand, large table size increases the spread i.e. makes a diamond look bigger for its carat weight. That's why I asked about measurements.

mf5572

Rough_Rock
I found out the measurements on the diamond. They are 7.91 x 7.96 x 4.80. How are these measurements in relation to everthing else?

Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
these measurements are predictable. The diamond is rather deep for such a large table.

You'll see a lot of light leakage... :(( [/u][/u]

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Isn't the depth % measured by depth divided by average width? If so, 59% depth (as stated above) would be off.......or am I off....never was good in math.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
it is 7.94/4.80 = 60.5%

Fire&Ice, you're right. It is not 59%.

mf5572

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry, the actual measurements are a 7.91 x 7.96 x 4.68. That's why the depth % seemed to be off. I tried to download all the software myself and try it, but I was having some trouble. I'm hoping these measurements will make the diamond a little better in terms of fire and brilliance and leakage of light. Please Help.

Thanks

NYTODD

Rough_Rock
leonid - Thanks for the response.

One more question. I originally made an appointment with David Wolf of Just Appraisers but the first one available was next Thursday. That is when I found IGI here in NY and they could appraise it the next day. Now I am reading that IGI isn't that accurate. It has a GIA cert and I really just want an opinion on if it matches and seems like a good stone. They both will cost the same, and the IGI web site shows their reports which look nice. I don't know what the store would say about holding it for another week but should I stick with Just Appraisers (even if my girlfriend goes nuts from waiting)?

square

Rough_Rock
todd:
i need an appraisal done soon in manhattan as well and have not shopped around at all. what is igi and how to do i reach them? have you found anything else that looks good?
thanks in advance,
steve.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
MFf5572, I’m afraid this stone is too far from ideal.

Can you ask you jeweler to show you different diamonds with better cut and compare them side by side? Try to look at them in different lighting environment.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
NYTodd, if you just need to verify that diamond matches GIA report, IGI lab will be probably ok...

NYTODD

Rough_Rock
Steve,

I looked up names for appraisers at superpages.com and came up with a few, also at www.appraisersassoc.org which hat 23 NY members.

I found David Wolf through a reference from this web site, his website is http://www.justappraisers.com/

Information about IGI can be found at www.igiworldwide.com

David Wolf was backlogged for almost 2 weeks, IGI made an appointment in one or two days. They both charge by total carat weight with $125-$150 minimum. IGI will also verify a cert for $25.

What I know is only from reading the websites.

Good luck,

Todd

NYTODD

Rough_Rock
I just came back from the IGI apprasial and getting the diamond mounted.
IGI seemed ok to get an apprasial from. They have a load of technicians working so the wait for setting up and appointment is a day or less. The person (seems to be all young women) looks at it and then has a gemologist verify it also. The GIA cert said 1.37 C color H VS1, IGI said it looked like an F-G to them. I watched both of them look at it in a light box against reference stones. In total it took about a 1/2 hour or so. They also took a picture and will send a full report. So the bottom line is I got the diamond with a platinum ring with .45 carats in total of side stones for $8100 from ultimate diamond on 47th street and IGI said the full retail cost was $16,170 and the wholesale price should be $10,108.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results