shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Tahitian pearls in Tahiti?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a big fan of pearls and have really cherished my pieces. Over the last 5 years I have been to China twice and bought freshwater pearls in China and loved the prices. Nothing was set in precious gold so I did not spend big bucks. I do access the two major pearl dealers's sites referenced here and have really learned a lot. Now I find myself going to Tahiti and New Caledonia and am interested in buying Tahitian pearls there. I know that these pearls are expensive. We are not on a cruise (far from it) and most of the shops I have been able to research cater to this crowd. I wondered if anyone has a place in Papeete or New Caledonia that they can recommend. I am not talking about any large purchase and would rather buy a few AAA quality beautiful pearls for a ring or pendant than a rope. Are tours to pearl farms a rip off? Are the Chinese freshwater dyed pearls making their way to these places and sold as 'Tahitians'? Any recommendation or advice is most appreciated.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
lambskin,
I first visited Papeete in 1989 just after Fred Ward's article on black pearls appeared in National Geographic. I did some good buying but found, as is often the case, retail is retail and in fact prices on black pearls were quite high in local stores.

RWW

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Tahiti Pearl Market? Haven’t been there but I rem reading from a PSer or the other forum. I think the cheap loose pearls boxes yielded some gems after searching/digging so is worth a visit.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our relatives who live in Noumea and bourail buy from Maison de la Perle, in case that helps.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the tip. I went into about ten different places and the prices were really, really high. Of course there was some discounting on the mark-up price but not enough as the prices were still way over the top. I had brought some print outs from Pearl Paradise and compared quality, size and price. Definitely PP is a better move for me. I know that I am a tourist ( the bulk of which are honeymooners and cruise ship patrons with big bucks) but I am an independent traveller and not in the jewelry business. Be that as it may, the mark ups were exorbitant! Plus any high quality pearl was already mounted and set with gold and diamonds. When I saw what the prices were for lower quality pearls I did not even want to ask to see the better stuff as it would have been a waste of every ones' time. Yet I saw local folks walking around with huge ropes, pendants and earrings of nice quality pearls. Women walk around at the grocery stores and parks with opera length with smaller ropes around their necks and ropes of big pearls around their wrists. Even high school girls were sporting earrings to die for. Did not see any precious metal on these pieces however. I asked our hosts about the tens of thousands of dollars worth of pearls seemingly worn everyday and she said that everyone has a relative or friend of a pearl farmer. I am going to buy a Tahitian pearl pendant someday but it will be from PP. Stay tuned....

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
We went shopping at the shopping area in down town Papette also. I was in awe of the women and their huge Tahitian earrings and necklaces walking around. I ended up buying a single pendant on Moorea. It started my pearl addiction. I bet you had a fantastic vacation. Did you do anything special?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tahiti and Moorea are wonderful and relatively not spoiled with tourism. I love your pearl pendants in your avatar. We rented a car and drove around the island and swam with the Manta Rays and reef sharks in Moorea. It was a relaxing vacation and would like to return to visit other South Pacific Islands. I was in awe re the pearls worn by everyone too. Big pearls, long ropes and everything in between. I was looking for a single pendant-12mm pearl peacock AAA quality. I did not see anything that I would consider as AAA and the prices were really high. I saw mostly black or silver pearls and the peacocks were baroque. I visited various shops and even went to the pearl museum (with shop attached of course.) The pearls on display here were of good quality and were the priciest. They were so high I did not even want to involve a sales person to show me a 12mm round AAA pearl as I knew it was going to be sky high and would be a waste of everyone's time. Plus I was with 3 cranky family members who do not like to shop. Someday I will get my pearl...

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Lambskin, You will find the online vendors have better prices and a better range of colors than you get in the stores in French Polynesia. I hope you find just what you're looking for. Two of the pearls in my avaitar are Tahitians, the pinkish pearl is a Sea of Cortez pearl.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results