shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying stone and setting separate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I am in the United Kingdom, if I should order a diamond and a setting separately from vendors in the USA what do you think would be the chances of a jeweller over here setting the diamond for me? Would they refuse do you think because it was not bought from them?

Could you also say roughly what would be the chance of the diamond being damaged whilst being set as I know they would not cover this with their insurance. Is it for instance 80% chance of 10% chance or lower?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Many of our clients purchase their diamond from us and a ring from another vendor... If you can locate a "trade shop" in your area they should be willing to set the diamond for you... Some jewelers don't mind setting a diamond into a setting that they make no profit from but others simply can't handle the possibility that somebody else profited from the deal... Short sighted thinking in our opinion because this could be their opportunity to earn your future business... Anyway, some jewelers set diamonds for the trade for a living and others sell diamonds for a living and others do both, we doubt there is a difference between the mentality of jewelers in the U.K. and those we've had experience with here in the U.S.

As far as liability, the answer is essentially the same... Some jewelers carry liability insurance which provides coverage for diamonds damaged during the setting process and others do not... Some jewelers accept the liability for their actions and others expect their clients to which makes no sense to us whatsoever unless the customer is asking the jeweler to set a diamond which is an item of unusual risk such as a damaged or heavily included diamond which the jeweler would not set under normal circumstances. For instance, we have a customer who recently chipped her diamond substantially and against our recommendation she has requested that the diamond be set into a pendant when we feel that the possibility for further damage to the diamond is quite high... This item will be set at her request and at her assumed peril. Make sense? Under any other circumstance, we feel that the jeweler should accept liability for his or her actions and talent or lack thereof...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply niceice. I think I will just wait and get the diamond and setting from the same jeweller when I am able to buy. I am just getting impatient and thought I could buy part of the ring now maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results