shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying setting at Jared and diamond online or a jeweler?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
nicknamehere|1306875411|2934710 said:
I think that after speaking to her and showing her some of these designs suggested here (see her responses above) that she is open to a different setting. She said she liked the square radiant the best but if I could find a square cushion (less round i guess?) or a princess, that would be fine too. I think she (and me) cares more about a larger diamond for the money than a specific cut, as long as its square. I never really heard of a Jubilee or PoH diamond, I'll look in to those. I'm liking the one at WF but I guess it can get annoying to try to have that modified to fit a larger square diamond instead of a 1.25 or below round.

Keep throwing suggestions at me, you have all been very helpful already.

I would contact someone at WF and see what they can do. It may end up being semi-custom but it's possible they can modify it to fit your stone. They have AGS0 princess stones so if you do go for a princess I'd suggest just getting both the stone and setting from them. If you want a cushion then I'd recommend Goodoldgold or Mark T at engagementringsdirect and select a setting from one of them.

nicknamehere

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone. It seems like princess cuts give you the most bang for the buck (in square diamonds) in terms of width of diamond vs cost. Is that correct? Also, those jubilee diamonds look really cool but seem hard to find.

Any other suggestions on settings and diamonds? Please keep it coming.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
GOG is the only place that carries the Jubilee. What diamond shape does she prefer? I would stick with what she wants :)
as far as settings, the JA 3-sided pave is probably my favorite although I am not sure if you could wear a wedding band with it (you would want a spacer band). To me that setting is much less 'busy' than the first setting and is more fluid-but that is my personal preference! I have a strong dislike for settings where the head is not integrated into the rest of the band (again, personal preference). Get what she wants though!!!

ETA this setting has the 'u' shaped diamonds
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ering-the-result-of-pricescope-forum-members.149668/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ering-the-result-of-pricescope-forum-members.149668/[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nicknamehere|1306985700|2935972 said:
Thanks again everyone. It seems like princess cuts give you the most bang for the buck in terms of width of diamond vs cost. Is that correct? Also, those jubilee diamonds look really cool but seem hard to find.

Any other suggestions on settings and diamonds? Please keep it coming.

No, princess cuts face up smaller, too. You have to go to round or oval to get more size for the weight of the stones in comparison to most of the square stones.

nicknamehere

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I meant best bang for your buck in a square diamond.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nicknamehere|1306986856|2935992 said:
Sorry, I meant best bang for your buck in a square diamond.

To be honest you'd have to look at the spread (I'm pretty sure) stone vs stone. Certain cuts are cut deeper to get a certain faceting pattern while others aren't as much. I wouldn't go for size at this point, I would have her look at the videos and pick out which stone type she likes best. I prefer to be more "unique" and while princess cuts are beautiful IMO they are the 2nd most common stone and I would want something that would make people got WTF is THAT amazing stone you have there? I have no doubt that a cushion, square H&A (which I think would probably face up the largest but you'd have to check with Jonathan on that and it's really stone by stone). Of course going with a branded stone you are going to pay more for it then you would a non-branded stone (but ideal cut princess cut diamonds are rare to find and they carry a hefty premium often as well. WF has an X factor (I think that's what it was called) and they are beautifully cut but they are priced more like the others I've mentioned)

If you want more coverage I would get a setting that has a square center stone and then also has the 2 step cut side stones to give it more coverage. There are many reasonable settings out there that if she'd be willing you could get a "temp" setting until the funds are raised (or she finds) her perfect setting. I'll link you to a site that has estate settings and also an estate site that carries vintage rings (she might find something already put together that she likes) and also nice settings as well.

http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/ring_settings

http://www.antiqueengagementrings.com/

No matter what you get her I'm sure she is going to love it. :appl:

nicknamehere

Rough_Rock
So I spent a bunch of time with WF talking about that setting and asking if a square diamond would fit, and they said for $300 they can semi-custom make it to fit a princess or other type of square, which is good to hear. Very nice to deal with through an online chat, hard for me to get anything done on the phone because I work at a hectic job and long hours. They also sent over some pictures of square diamonds in that WF setting, attached below. I like it, but I still like some of the other choices as well. This is so hard to decide on. Plus.. I still can't decide on what type of square diamond to get.. I really liked that jubilee one, its really nice, but that doesn't come from WF and then I am in that dilemma again with a diamond from one place and a setting from another.

What do you guys think? Princess? Radiant? Jubilee? Cushion? I cant decide.. ah..

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4240/82ctdvvs2prinimperialfl.th.jpg

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/184/82ctdvvs2prinimperialto.th.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5189/0928ctivvs2primperialwi.th.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
all of those stone shapes have very different looks. Which does your girlfriend prefer? My favorite isn't necessarily going to be hers. For something this important her opinion is the only one that matters ;))

nicknamehere

Rough_Rock
She is not that picky, she said she likes the square radiant, a cushion as long as it is square, princess, ascher, etc. Just something substantial looking and square :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, if you are going with the WF setting then I'd probably go with an AGS0 graded princess from them. If I were getting a cushion, I'd go to Goodoldgold or mark t at engagementrings direct and find another setting with one of them. I'm personally not a fan of radiants and I probably wouldn't pair her setting preference with an asscher. Just my .02

nicknamehere

Rough_Rock
It seems like not many people are big fans of radiants. How come?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
nicknamehere|1307108339|2936842 said:

I just don't like the faceting. I'm not a big fan of square shaped stones in general though.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
nicknamehere|1307108339|2936842 said:

It's just a matter of taste; rounds are the most popular and 'face up' size is nice for the carat weight. Your girlfriend's taste is what's most important here, not what we think. We just want you to get a well-cut, amazing stone in any shape. :bigsmile:

I've had a square radiant from Whiteflash (they used to call them "X-Factor Princess" cuts) for over three years and I still love it. I just never liked how rounds looked in rings on my hands and wanted a square shape, but the square corners of a princess made me nervous (potential chipping) since I'm not the most graceful. With the square radiant, I got a square shape with clipped corners that could be in regular prongs (not square prongs like princesses usually have) and less prone to chipped corners. It does 'face up' smaller than a round of the same carat weight, but it was also not as expensive as a round

For my 5 year upgrade :naughty: I really want a pear which will be totally different from what I have now, but the August Vintage Cushions are so lovely, I might need one of those, too someday. :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
nicknamehere|1307071061|2936681 said:
She is not that picky, she said she likes the square radiant, a cushion as long as it is square, princess, ascher, etc. Just something substantial looking and square :)

hmm...very different looks. maybe go look at some diamonds in person and see what you like the best?

GOG also has some videos comparing different cuts...these might help

http://vimeo.com/7090980
http://vimeo.com/2510008

nicknamehere

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if the width of the band at WF is accurate, or the one at Jared?

The one at Jared (http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-5896.asp) states on the website that it is 6.5mm wide, which actually seems much larger than reality. I know my GF particularly liked that the ring was not thin.

The one at WF (http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen.../the-imperial-diamond-engagement-ring-107.htm) says it ranges from 3.5mm to 3.0mm wide. How do you think this one actually sizes up vs the Jared one?

The more I think about this, I think the idea ring should be a mixture between the two above. About 4mm thick band, have channel set / pave stones going 1/2 to 3/4 around the ring outside, as well as on the front and back of the ring. Jared uses square princess diamonds on the outside, and round on the front/back face, while the WF one has rounds on all 3 sides. What style do you think goes better with a square diamond (princess or radiant) ?

Also, it should have some sort of smaller diamonds next to the large main diamond.

The Jared one does it with a baguette on each side: ==[][ ][]==
and the WF one does it with 3 round diamonds, like: ==o8[ ]8o==

Again here.. which style would go better with a square radiant or princess?

Also.. would WF design something like this for me.. or are there other credible places to get something like that designed as well as a nice princess/radiant? Thanks again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, WF certainly could make you a ring similar to the Jared one and probably better. I still think the Ritani is the best, but WF can make an improved version of the Jared ring. Tell them you want it to work with a wedding band. You don't want the side diamonds scratching a wedding band. For that setting, I'd just go with an ACA princess. I think an antique cushion would be pretty in the other WF setting because it has an antique look to it. But the Jared setting is more contemporary and the princess would fit it well. I just think WF could do a better hob with those stones beside the center. In fact, a three stone with princess stones would be pretty.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go with the ACA princess and a modified WF setting.

Just saw an ad at the top of the page that says WF will give you 10% off any setting when you buy a cut above princess so there you go!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the baguette side stones and think it would look smashing with a princess cut.

nicknamehere

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the extra feedback. I think I like the princess cut stone, with baguettes on both side (like Jared setting), and princess cut channel diamonds on the outside of the ring (like Jared), and round on the front and back (like WF and Jared). Now I guess I have to decide on the part that actually holds the diamond. Any suggestions?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are going with a princess you're going to have to have the corners protected by the prongs. You may be limited on what you can actually do on the design side. I'd talk to someone at WF if you are going with them to see what they suggest.

nicknamehere

Rough_Rock
Do you think WF is the best place to get something like this done along with finding a stone through them?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
nicknamehere|1307674851|2942231 said:
Do you think WF is the best place to get something like this done along with finding a stone through them?

I do. It is always easier to get a stone and setting from the same place if possible. WF will take responsibility for the stone while it's being set and a princess does have a greater potential to get chipped during this process. You can purchase outside insurance like from Jewelers Mutual that would cover a stone while being set however. WF does very nice custom and semi-custom work and I think they would do a great job with creating your ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results