shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying pearl on eBay vs Etsy?

ningeve

Rough_Rock
New to pearl world. Currently not considering high end pearl vendors. But overwhelmed by eBay listing. Where do you guys buy pearls from?
Thank you!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of pearls are you looking for? I have bought from a variety of sources.

You may wish to read the Trusted Vendors sticky:

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pearls are a huge world - there are many types ranging from a hundred dollars to tens of thousands.

Your first bet would be to figure out what kind of requirements in terms of pearl type and quality you're looking for, and then there are many posters here who can assist.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are many pitfalls in buying pearls on any mass sale site. Sellers are mostly competing for your attention on price, not quality. Especially eBay

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started to buy rice pearls many years ago for making jewellery from a shop in London, and progressed to eBay in the early 90s when I discovered internet shopping.

I guess I have become more discerning as I progress with age, in life as well as in jewellery, aiming for better quality in larger size etc...

I cannot remember when was the last time I purchased from eBay, it was a long time ago, and some of the vendors I purchased from are no longer trading; however, some are still about. In fact, one of the pendants that I liked over 10 years ago is still available from one of them!

I bought some cheapo low quality pearls from Wan Pearls on Etsy for jewellery making purposes. They are fine for what I need, and found the prices and descriptions to be honest, in that I have yet to come across any freshwater pearls being listed as South Sea pearls etc...

For the good stuff nowadays, my go-to vendor is Pearl Paradise (PP).

However, I would also recommend Pearl of Joy (POJ), The Pearl Outlet (TPO) and Kojima Pearl.

It helps to know something about pearls to avoid costly mistakes, and the Pearl As One course is still free I believe: https://www.pearlsasone.org/

Otherwise, read up on the different types of pearls as much as you can, via the likes of PP and POJ etc...

Have fun shopping!

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
ebay and Etsy are both fine for lower cost pearls. I don't think there's a way to say which is better or worse since they are not individual vendors but both huge selling platforms.

However, if you are going to spend any significant amount of money, I'd most definitely go to one of the trusted pearl vendors linked in the post above because there is a LOT of fraud, misrepresentation etc. going on when it comes to pearls.

For example, freshwater pearls are usually the least expensive and can easily be produced or treated to mimic any type of far more expensive pearl, such a South Sea, Tahitian, akoya, etc.

Many unscrupulous sellers also commonly send pearls that are NOT the ones shown in their photos. If you don't know what you're doing or don't use a vetted seller, it is VERY common to get ripped off when it comes to buying pearls. But if you're just looking for "craft" level pearls or purchase under, say, $50 or so, then either ebay or Etsy should be fine.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Most of my pearls are from Tiffany's, but a few years ago, I purchased a nice pair of pearl earrings in white gold from The Pearl Source on Amazon.com. They match my Tiffany pearl necklace perfectly.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once im finacial again i plan to make a purchase or three at pearl paradise

@Daisys and Diamonds - I can send you a pearl necklace now and when you are in a good spot financially you can pay it forward to someone else. Just let me know if you are interested and we can make contact on Loupe troop.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds - I can send you a pearl necklace now and when you are in a good spot financially you can pay it forward to someone else. Just let me know if you are interested and we can make contact on Loupe troop.

oh Lisa your generosity and kindness has made my day
thank you
i need those happy tissues

I'm absolutly positive there are more worthy people in need of a lovelly pearl necklase to cheer them up in these dark days we are all living through than I
i live in a country with one regionalized out break, but where i live we are almost not limited by what we are allowed to do, my neighbour's kids can all go to school, everyone can still go to work (even hair dressers)
yes, its hard to get a supermarket delivery and i really need a job but my country has only had 20 covid deaths in total,( each one leaving begind a bereaved family because every death everywhere from covid is a tragedy)

i have my mum's pearl necklase that just needs restrung, its probably safe to wear it in the house, and a freshwater station necklase, 'm kinda hoping i might get the kind of job where i can wear nice necklases

but thank you dear Lisa
i just wish you could see the smile on my face and the warmth in ny heart your kind offer has given me

i hope in return kindness also finds you today
best wishes
and a most sincere thank you
Nicky

rest assured i will definatly pay your kindness forward, please give the necklase to someone in real need of cheering up

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
oh Lisa your generosity and kindness has made my day
thank you
i need those happy tissues

I'm absolutly positive there are more worthy people in need of a lovelly pearl necklase to cheer them up in these dark days we are all living through than I
i live in a country with one regionalized out break, but where i live we are almost not limited by what we are allowed to do, my neighbour's kids can all go to school, everyone can still go to work (even hair dressers)
yes, its hard to get a supermarket delivery and i really need a job but my country has only had 20 covid deaths in total,( each one leaving begind a bereaved family because every death everywhere from covid is a tragedy)

i have my mum's pearl necklase that just needs restrung, its probably safe to wear it in the house, and a freshwater station necklase, 'm kinda hoping i might get the kind of job where i can wear nice necklases

but thank you dear Lisa
i just wish you could see the smile on my face and the warmth in ny heart your kind offer has given me

i hope in return kindness also finds you today
best wishes
and a most sincere thank you
Nicky

rest assured i will definatly pay your kindness forward, please give the necklase to someone in real need of cheering up

@Daisys and Diamonds -- If you'd like, I would be glad to restring your mother's necklace "on the house," so to speak.

You certainly deserve to wear pearls, especially a necklace that is sentimental to you. - Even if safe to wear it in the house, I'd certainly love to make sure it is safely restrung so you can enjoy it with peace of mind.

Let me know how I might be able to get ahold of you to make this work, if you're interested.

Andrew.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results