shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying online after working with a nice store

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bobby74

Rough_Rock
Hi gang,
35.gif

I have been working with a very nice store who was showing me several stones (that they brought in) that fit my specification. I didn''t ask for them to bring them in, but they did, and basically said come back in 2 days and I''ll have some great stuff to show you.

So with their help, I''ve narrowed down my selection as to what color/clarity, etc. I''m looking for. Meanwhile, I found a beautiful stone online, that matches the one in the store, and it''s 2K less + tax = ~$3,200 less. I also have the opportunity to view it at the local appraiser (they''ll ship it in), before deciding to purchase.

It''s also important to note that the setting alone is also expensive - around $9,500.

$3,200 is a lot of money, so I''m hesitant to think that my experience in the store was worth that extra, but I also value their help and want to show it.

So I''m thinking that the best solution is to buy the stone online, and save the $3,200 but purchase the $9,500 setting from them - hence a win win.

Does this sound fair, or does anyone have suggesions?

Thanks!

9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds fair to me.

If they have a diamond you like-- except for the price-- you can also offer them a chance to match. Don't know how feasible it would be for them... but thought I'd suggest it.

Edit to add: I didn't notice the price tag of the setting before (I'm blind, clearly) but nine and half thousand??? Is it designer?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a 9.5K setting?
23.gif

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
wow, a setting that is $9k???? can we see some pictures of it?? it must be amazing!

I can''t really answer your question....you have to be comfortable with whatever you choose to do. I personally would get the less expensive one...of course, if they are indeed identical stones.....have you also checked online for the setting?? I wonder if you would be able to find that for less as well???

B&M''s usually have a high mark up. If you really and truly value their service, that mark up might be worth it to you......its a personal thing....

but again...pictures please :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d give them a chance to match. If they have been good to you thus far, I think they should be rewarded with your business. Also, see if they will sell you the setting if you don''t purchase the stone from them. Just curious but what setting are you getting?

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps you could explain to them that you can get a similar diamond on line for a bit less....since you are buying the setting from them, they might be able to do better on both the stone and the setting.....some don''t like it if you don''t buy both from them.

Is the stone more or less than the setting?

bjhcpa

Rough_Rock
I am going through the same experience now. Working with a store that i am happy with but found online to be much cheaper. I actually bought one online and took it to the store and showed them and looked at it up against theirs. I was amazed at how much they started dropping "their absolute lowest price". Literally came down between 3k and 4k on both stones they had already quoted me on to meet or beat the online price

Still not sure what i am going to do. I dont feel the stones in the store are of quality as the online one, but they are now getting cheaper than online.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I am on old-fashioned internet cheapskate shopper, but I'd rather eat my shoe than pay thousands of dollars of additional money to a B&M for something you could have custom made by a PS vendor.

Yes, they are nice, and yes, they brought in stones, and YES, I think it is worth paying extra sometimes to shop locally, but I have a hunch that that setting could be reproduced for soooooo much less than $9500. You haven't described it, but that's my guess.

I would thank them very much and go online, with someone you trust, for both the stone and the ring. After giving them the option to come closer in price, that is.

Just as an example, I am having a small eternity band made. I saw it in a high end B&M store here in San Francisco and they wanted $2300 for a .30tcw ring. A pricescope vendor, WHO IS ALSO A B&M IN AN EXPENSIVE CITY, is making the ring for me for less than half the cost. As much as I would love to shop at this great local store, they are making a decision to maintain some image of "We're Blah Blah and We Don't Have to Bargain." I did give them the option of matching, which they did not want to do. Fine for them, fine for me!

If you want to support them, I think that is great. But do try to ask around about prices on custom making a similar band, first, so you'll know what extra premium you are paying.

Good luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 12:03:20 AM
Author: wallermama
I guess I am on old-fashioned internet cheapskate shopper, but I''d rather eat my shoe than pay thousands of dollars of additional money to a B&M for something you could have custom made by a PS vendor.

Yes, they are nice, and yes, they brought in stones, and YES, I think it is worth paying extra sometimes to shop locally, but I have a hunch that that setting could be reproduced for soooooo much less than $9500. You haven''t described it, but that''s my guess.

My guess is a $9500 setting is probably a designer that can''t be easily reproduced. many pro and cons as to when to go custom. great thread going on now that might be helpful if the bobby wants to pursue that option..
here

Bobby74

Rough_Rock
Hi again
35.gif

Thanks for all of the responses so far. Yes, the setting is a designer one - it''s Michael B. Trying to dig up a pic online, but he doesn''t allow vendors to post pics so it''s hard to find the match.
15.gif

It looks like I will give them a chance to come closer to the price, and if not, I''ll just go through them for the setting (assuming they''re okay with that).

Hope this works out!
36.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, I just wanted to add that you should consider who will set your diamond. When you buy the setting and diamond from different places, it can get a little tricky. You will want someone who will take responsibility for your diamond in the off chance that something happens to it during setting (it is chipped, lost, etc). Will Micheal B be doing the setting?

P.S. I would not pay $3200 extra to buy from a B&M. If they don''t match, I would get it online.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bobby, check out Pearlmans jewelers he is a Pricescope vendor and carries Michael b. He has tons of pictures of Michael b settings on his website.

esp102

Rough_Rock
$9,500 for a setting and $3,000 for a diamond????

Isn't that like walking around town with Valentino suit pants and a $10.00 tank top?

I would save money when you can, it's only business but suggest that they at least match the offer.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My setting was no where near that price BUT we were in a similar situation. We bought our setting from a B&M and our diamond elsewhere. They were pretty cool about it. They even set the stone for free (I think?!?) I love having a local B&M for sizing and any other issues that might come up (and they usually do).

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the diamond is $3000, I think $3,00 was the savings. It sounds like a nice large diamond and the $3,000 was the difference not the total cost. I''m guessing it is a very high price diamond so you should be careful about whether the local jeweler would even be willing to risk setting it. Who would be liable if the diamond was damaged during setting?

Sounds like its going to be one amazing ring when it done!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
For the stone, I followed this rule of thumb:

If the B&M can come within 10% of the online vendor, I will buy from the B&M.

Yes, I had to pay tax, too.

My reasoning is that the B&M showed me all those stones, whenever it was convenient to me.
I could walk in and, if my particualr salesperson was busy, I could as someone else to pull the stones. They called in one with specs I needed. They did Sarin reports on the spot.

We never even discussed online vendors or their prices, because this B&M has no internet presence and if I brought it up, they'd start warning me not to risk such a purchase online!
So I avoided the topic.

When they told me the price, I asked "is that your lowest price?" and after that they always automatically gave the lowest price when I asked.

Granted this does not include the significant complication of wanting an exclusive setting.

Where I shopped, they just had all the regular Ritani, Tacori, Scott Kay, etc. settings.

ETA: I have found it is very easy to find out whether a vendor will set a stone that has been purchased elsewhere. It helps that I am a woman 'of a certain age', but I just say, "I was thinking about getting a new setting for my diamond engagement ring- do you do that?"
Every place I asked said, "oh yes! let me show you what we have!"

Bobby74

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your notes and guidance.

Michael B would do the setting, so the jeweler would just send out the stone that I brought in.

Also, $3k was the savings, not the price of the dimaond
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
www.Pearlmansjewlers.com might have the Michael B setting you are looking for so you can show us a pic. Inquiring minds want to know.
2.gif

Bobby74

Rough_Rock
Strange, but they don''t have it on the site
8.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 1:34:06 PM
Author: Bobby74
Strange, but they don''t have it on the site
8.gif

can you describe it? I love MB settings and would love to know about this masterpiece? It''s for a round stone right?

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
What?!?! An Extra $3200! That's a BIG difference - Ask if they can match the price, they probably cannot just due to the sheer expense of being a B&M. I'd go the internet route, why pay more - seriously.

And a 9.5K setting! What?! I love Michael B - but geez!!!!
The threesided one with stones on the prongs? Call Matthew's jewelers (Michael B's store) directly, and ask them for a their best price. If they can't do a whole lot better, I'd go custom - Mark Morrell or Leon Mege, or someone who does handmade platinum, wire and plate.

Scintillating...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I''d price out the Michael B setting w/ Pearlman to see......but otherwise I think your idea of using the nice B&M for the setting but bringing in the online stone (3200 is a LOT of savings!!!).

PS sleuths are pretty good--definitely describe the setting for us and we''ll see if we can track it down!!!!

Bobby74

Rough_Rock
I love seeing so many replies - so exciting!

The setting is a MB Trois, single band with a round stone. The engagement ring is ~$7,750 and the wedding band is ~$2k+. Hope this helps!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is from the michael B site... is this it??
trois_band.gif

Bobby74

Rough_Rock
Close, it''s the cushion setting (i believe) though...instead of the round setting...so a squarish setting and a round stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 3:29:51 PM
Author: Bobby74
Close, it''s the cushion setting (i believe) though...instead of the round setting...so a squarish setting and a round stone.

ooo, it''s sounds fabulous. You''ll have to come back and post pictures when it''s done..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that sounds pretty. I love rounds in squareish/ octagonal settings so stunning... great taste.

I would, however, call around for the best price on it. Your BN may be willing to match the price you get. For me, it would be worth the savings.

Bobby74

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Will def post pics when I find them, or have the actual one
41.gif

radiantgirl

Shiny_Rock
Bobby - We did the same thing. Bought our Michael B. setting at a B&M store and bought the diamond online. The store was so great to deal with, but all the stones they brought in for us never blew me away. We found an awesome diamond online and shipped it to them so they can ship it to Michael B. to set the diamond. They did however give us a good discount off the setting. Are you getting a discount off the setting as well? The sales lady who we dealt with had the same setting you are looking at: Cushion cut Troi, but hers was a three-sided pave rather than the single row. It was beautiful!

Can''t wait to see the pictures of it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results