shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my frist ring, I need some help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

frostisis

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to this diamond buying thingie. My bf and I are looking for our first ring right now.
We are thinking about going to the 47th street in NYC, but I have read online, that you should never buy diamonds from the stores on the street. Is that ture? I was wondering if anyone know any good place in NYC or Boston where we can get a good diamond for a good price.

I am thinking of a radiant cut diamond, H or better, VS2 or better, and 1.5 to 2.0 ct.

I have seen some really pretty looking rings on ebay, and some of them have stores in NYC. I''''m not sure how good they are.
I also went to Jewelry Exchange near me, they showed me a 1.51ct Radiant cut, H, Si2, for $7670, lose stone.
I can find the a simlar ring on ebay for as low as $3000. Anyone know what''''s the deal here?

Please give me some idea.

Thank you guys. :)

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 11:47:22 AM
Author:frostisis

I also went to Jewelry Exchange near me, they showed me a 1.51ct Radiant cut, H, Si2, for $7670, lose stone.

I can find the a simlar ring on ebay for as low as $3000. Anyone know what''s the deal here?

Disaster. Stay far away from either of those options. Those rings will be heavily included, poorly cut, cheaply made, and misrepresented.

Work with an online vendor with a good reputation.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
PLEASE do not buy on ebay. If it''s too good to be true, IT IS. The stones on ebay are often clarity enhanced, etc.

If you want a good jeweler in NYC go to Mark at Engagement Rings Direct on 47th St. or Good Old Gold on LI. They both have a stellar reputation around here and are very honest. Their prices are going to be probably the lowest legitimate prices you will find and both will make sure that you walk out the door with a good deal and an amazing diamond.

Best of luck!

winnie

Rough_Rock
i think mark is terrific -

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
frostitis, I am from NYC originally and I know enough about diamonds to feel comfortable looking in any store on 47th St. However, if you dont feel confident in your own knowledge of stones, then I''d at least start off with the two recommendations above and go from there. Nobody''s gonna give it away on 47th St. If they feel you dont know what you''re looking at, you wont get a deal. OTOH, I felt that the starting asking prices were alot cheaper than what I was seeing across the country in M&M shops.

frostisis

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys. I think I will go NYC and see what they have.

One more stupid question, I should always ask for a GIA or other ceritified diamond, right?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you considered buying online? I guarantee you will get a great deal if you use a good online vendor. Might be worth a look
1.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget?

frostisis

Rough_Rock
I will, and I have been. :)
This is a pretty big thing for a girl... I am planing on doing my search as much as possible.

I have hard http://www.uniondiamond.com/ is a good place to look.

frostisis

Rough_Rock
right now we are thinking about $10,000.
hee hee.. I am still thinking, $10,000 on a stone might be a little much.
and since we are still young, maybe i should get nice one right now, and upgrade later.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please read up on radiants before you get out there, they are tough to pick. I usually stick to depths and tables between 60-65, crown height above 9%, thin-slightly thick girdle, and I *like* to see VG/VG or better polish and symmetry. Also, you can easily go down a little lower in clarity in your searching because the crushed ice look of radiants tends to hide inclusions well. Color is the other story, radiants look less white than similar colored rounds and other stones. I''d stick to H and higher on this.

Please do not buy on ebay...do a search for ebay and you''ll see the many horror stories people have had here. Diamonds are simply misrepresented often on ebay and that is why they are cheaper.

Ditto the comment about shopping online. This is where the best values are and you are actually getting what you are paying for.

A quick search revealed the following stones that I felt had potential.

Out of your budget, but gorgeous:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=860286

This one will be closer to your budget with the "pricescope discount":
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=858904

Lower clarity than you wanted, but still looks like a nice "square radiant" style if that''s what you are going for:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=863055

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1011293

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results