shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my first diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

duhki

Rough_Rock
Hi all-

I am buying my first diamond (for my girlfriend''s engagement ring) and have been having a lot of fun. I think I have found the right one, but welcome any opinions (all opinions are welcome) as this is a big step and I want to do it right. The ring I have found is:

Princess Cut
1.12 Ct
Premium Cut
Color: D
Clarity: VVS2
6.10x5.74x3.85 mm
67.1% depth
74.0% table
Medium Girdle
No Culet
VG Polish
VG Symmetry
Faint Fluorescence
GIA Cert.
$7,273

The only issue that I have is that the classification is actually modified rectangular, rather than square as the l-w ratio is 1.0627, although to the naked eye, I don''t know that it should be too much of an issue.

What do you think -- sound like a good deal to you?

Jay

reena

Ideal_Rock
Hi! You're in the right place--I've learned a great deal in just a month or so here, and I'm sure you can, too.

I know nothing about princess stones, so I'll wait for the princess experts to post on the specs. But, I will ask whether you've given any thought to whether you are set on a stone with such a high color and clarity rating? If you've researched and you know that's what you want--fabulous. But if not, you would be able to get much more for your $$$ if you are willing to go down even a few levels down on those scales, and (depending on how low you go) there may not even be a noticeable difference to your naked eye . . . Just some food for thought.

As for the L to W ratio, have you gone to www.gemappraisers.com and looked at their fancy shape selector? You can enter in the L:W ratio and get an idea of how the stone might look in person.

Good luck! REENA

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It would be a shame to purchase such an amazing color and clarity stone but with poor performance. And I think that's what you're going to have. That depth table combo can't be good news.
sad.gif
Are you able to get any crown height info?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Cut is the most important "C", clarity the least important IMO. As such, you should really consider looking for a different stone. The stone you've chosen will not be a top performer. It may look okay because of the beautiful color, but it's not going to be blinding in any sense. Look for a stone with a table 3-5% smaller than the depth (or at least equal to the depth). Also, as MMM hinted, you need to know the crown and pavilion info to truly judge the stone (I like a crown of at least 10%, but some people will go down to 8%--not something I suggest). When you have a smaller table paired with a larger depth (both numbers in the high 60's to low 70's are best) you're more likely to end up with a better crown height. In other words, I'd keep looking!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe something like THIS ONE... or THIS ONE?

The numbers on the first stone are similar to my stone's numbers (my crown height is 10 - tho not a guarantee this one will be a '10')
2.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Here's another option:

Whiteflash

It's a little lower in color and clarity, but it's probably an amazing stone! I'm not thrilled with the ideal scope image, but it's better than most and I trust Brian's eye 100%! Contact Denise at [email protected] if you're interested in this stone or want some assistance in finding a beautiful stone (I worked with her and could not have been happier with her service)
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and keep in mind that Whiteflash offers a discount to PS members so be sure to ask about it!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
One other thing--
I would check out the second stone that Alexah posted because those numbers look pretty good and it's going for $6616 at Abazias!

duhki

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your suggestions. I have visited the gemappraisers.com web site and am very impressed with the information -- it has been a great help. I am considering lowering my standards somewhat, but I will not move out of the D-F color nor VVS1-VS1 range. However, I have found a couple of other options in that range with better table and depth percentages, so we are getting closer!

Thanks again!

duhki

Rough_Rock
I don't think that the depth and table are too bad, but you are right, I have been able to lower my standards just slightly and get better table and depth %'s. And, for reference, the crown height was 11%.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results