shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my first diamond and engagement ring. Please advise

triga22

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I am new to diamonds, but have been lurking here for a few days and comparing diamonds online. I haven't been into a jewelry store and I am going to bring her with me in a few weeks. We have looked online to get an idea of what she likes, she isn't going to know what she is getting. I talked with a rep on James Allen and he showed me the Cushion cut, which she likes!

Here are the specs:

Budget: is LESS than 4K. I would prefer it to be between 3250-3500.

Ring Style: She likes some of the Halo's, three stones, and Solitaires that have smaller diamonds in the band. She likes them all and doesn't seem to like one more than the other.

Diamond : She doesn't like round, possibly in a halo though. Personally I like the round and think they make the diamond look the best, but the ring isnt for me :tongue: . However we both seem to like the cushion cut diamond. We both used to like the princess cut, but it has worn off a little bit after looking at more diamonds online.

14k gold or platinum? I can't decide? I have heard pros and cons to both.

So my question is I need some help determining the specifications for the diamond in each scenario. What sites are recommended? Do any run sales/discounts?

Here are the ones that I had looked into.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-thin-french-cut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7092
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-17445
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-cushion-center-item-17429

chrisan

Rough_Rock
Re: Buying my first diamond and engagement ring. Please advi

How about a round in a square halo? It'll be shaped like a cushion but have the optics of a round.

triga22

Rough_Rock

I didn't think about that. I didn't even know it was possible. That would be an option as well, however I think if it is a halo she wouldn't mind the round diamond, but she doesn't like them when they are solitare

triga22

Rough_Rock

I will have to show her those. They look great!

triga22

Rough_Rock

Well I guess I was a little bit wrong on my predictions. It turns out that she likes the princess cut, and honestly if I went with a pave/solitare/three stone setting I would do princess cut. However she does really like the round diamond in a cushion setting halo style ring as well. Do you guys have any suggestions for getting the best deal? Is james allen my best bet for creating my own ring? Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results