shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Marquise - Where to compromise?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

realistdreamer

Rough_Rock
First, I''m knew and coming out of lurk-mode. Let me thank everyone who contributes to this forum. You''ve already made this daunting process so much easier. I''ve learned more than I ever cared to about diamonds, settings, appraisals, etc.

I''ve learned that any diamond purchase (at least with my budget) is some form of compromise.

My Choices
I am buying a 1.1-1.4ct Marquise for an e-ring I''m having designed by Quest. I''ve looked at AGAs Cut Chart for Marquise as a starting point. I''m pretty sure I want 1.9 to 2.1 length to width and trying to stay in grade 1A-2A if possible.

I will use the inspection period (absent a Sarin report) to determine light return. But, because most vendors require you to pay for the diamond before purchase (plus the hassle of wire transfers), I want to limit the diamonds I send to appraisal.

OK, with all that setup, I''m trying to decide which diamonds to send for inspection based primarily on the tradeoff between color, clarity and size. Because the marquise can be so different than what your read for rounds, I thought I''d ask for opinions.

Color - I''m looking at everything from E - G. I''ve looked in the Maul stores and can''t tell much difference myself, but I don''t have a discerning eye. The point is that my fiance-to-be doesn''t feel "jipped" when her friends compare rings

Clarity - I only care about eye clean in the setting. I''ve been looking at VS2 to SI2. I''ve heard that SI2 in a 1ct+ stone is different than in a <1ct stone. Again, I don''t want her friends or her to see inclusions in the setting. It''s a pretty "open" setting. Not quite a tension, but what you''d call "open bezel".

Polish, Symmetry, Table and Depth. Because the impact of these numbers (within the AGA guideline) is not clear, I don''t know what impact, if any these numbers will have. No one seems to have pavillion angles, so I guess I''ll have to save that for the appraisal.

My thought was to look for F, SI1-SI2 stones with decent cut in my budget and then choose 1-2 to get sent out for inspection.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Welcome to PS
35.gif

I'm no expert on marquises (or any other diamond for that matter LOL) but I do own a marquise myself.
I have a D SI2. It's very eye clean and very white but definitely not brilliant. Staying near colorless IMO does alot for that cut of a diamond. Marquises are not known to be brilliant so if you can find one that is well cut you'll maximize your chances of getting fair light return. You can run alot of numbers but ultimately it's going to be your eyes (and maybe your appraiser) that will determine which stone you like the best. I personally prefer the chubbier marquises to the longer, skinnier cuts but I think you get more a bow tie effect when you go that route (mine has an awful bow tie that bugs me
38.gif
).
In any case...I wish you good luck. I know they'll be some others that chime in (I think Jazmine has a nicelyl cut marquise...she can probably give you some better pointers) and hopefully they can give you more info. Sounds like you are on the right track with your search so far. Keep us updated on what you find!

ETA: It is Jazmine and her ring is absolutely stunning
30.gif
30.gif

I hope she doesn't mind but I'm going to link her thread for you. There are some stats in that thread that you can look at and she may be able to help you find a well cut marquise that is sparkly and with minimal bowtie...good luck!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-will-soon-be-on-its-way.37170/

realistdreamer

Rough_Rock
What are thoughts of about these two in comparison with each other? Both under $6000.

Laboratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.24
Color: F
Clarity: SI2
Shape: Marquise
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depth: 59.4%
Table: 55%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: GD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Culet: N
Girdle: M-VTK FD
Fluorescence: Medium
Measurements: 10.78x5.79x3.44

Or this one

Laboratory: EGL
Carat Weight: 1.21
Color: E
Clarity: SI1

Depth: 60.3%
Table: 60%
Symmetry: VG

Girdle: 0
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.77x10.62x3.48

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, there is no compromise about your current choices... as long as the SI clarity doesn''t show somehow. Assuming EGL is one of the US branches, ''guess the two diamonds have comparable grades... give or take, as usual.

Between these, I''d look for whether the inclusions would show in setting, and the brightness of the stones, of course. Not sure if the clarity plots help a bunch, but having them to look at would be a start if you can only call one in to take a look at.

''Guess you couldn''t know exactly how they look or if there is anything unpleasant about their cut before the diamond is in front of you (or real'' good images are - same thing). Perhaps not much could go wrong - there are some unusually shaped marquises out there and a few more with large ''bow ties'' - a dull patch across the short diameter, just enough to make me leery about a truly blind choice (= not seeing the stone before the sale becomes final).

My 2c.

And one more.... I am a fan of long marquises too, especially if they have ''support'' on the sides. Here''s what I mean
5.gif

realistdreamer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I''m being told that above about 1ct, SI2 and probably SI1 inclusions are visible loose and may be visible in setting. I''m still checking opinions on this, but I''d rather go VS given that the setting allows the marquise to be viewed from the sides. Given that, I''m know looking at these two which seem very close. Thoughts?

Stock Number: 9760028
Carat Weight: 1.23
Color: F
Clarity: VS2

Depth: 62.8%
Table: 59%
Polish: GD
Symmetry: GD

Girdle: -TK
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 10.51x5.73x3.60

OR THIS ONE

Stock Number: 9618484
Carat Weight: 1.23
Color: G
Clarity: VS2

Depth: 58.5%
Table: 52%
Symmetry: VG

Girdle: M-TK F
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 11.04x5.74x3.36

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2006 1:18:15 PM
Author: realistdreamer

Unfortunately, I''m being told that above about 1ct, SI2 and probably SI1 inclusions are visible loose and may be visible in setting.

Is this about those stones in particular or in general? At least SI1 has good chances to be eye clean, IMO.

So does VS, of course.

The G/VS sounds tempting! (long shape, ''very good'' symmetry which is not that common for fancy shapes...).

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I have an SI2 that''s eye clean...its out there and mine is even an EGL...go figure???
38.gif

I''ve got a loupe and still can''t see the inclusions but I know they are there LOL...I''ve been told where they are I just can''t make them out yet because they are white. But if you are clarity sensitive then go with the VS. It''s certainly going to be easier to see inclusions on a marquise then it will on a round. Good luck!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
since marquises are out of style you can find them for a dime a dozen in estate jewelry and pawn shops. buy a loupe and use your eyes.

if you are in houston, there is a d vs2 in the pawn shop at westheimer at hwy 6 going towards town on the right before you get to dairy ashford. he wants $800 for it.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Hi Realistdreamer,

I can tell you from personal experience it is difficult to find a class 1 cut marquise. I was determined to find a 1.0 - 1.25 carat, D - F, VS1 - SI1, class 1 cut, very good - excellent polish and symmetry, with a 1.8 - 2.1 length-to-width ratio. It took nearly 4 months to find a stone that met all my requirements, but I am so thrilled with my diamond and happy I didn''t compromise. My diamond has the following specs:

1.17 ct; D; SI1; 10.5x5.61x3.45 = L/W: 1.87
Depth: 61.5%; Table: 58.5% 3.28 mm; Crown: 35.2'' 15%; Pavilion: 40.6'' 41.9%
Culet: 0.0%; Girdle: Thin to Medium;
Polish: Very Good; Symmetry: Very Good; Medium Blue Fluorescence

I personally would not go above an F in color in a marquise because they show body color more than a round stone. In a marquise, the shape and the color are what catch your eye. A well cut round stone has a lot more sparkle, which can hide some body color. My SI1 is perfectly eye clean without magnification, but there are 3 small dots at one end I can see easily with a loupe (makes it easy to identify my stone after I have my ring cleaned, etc.)

The 1.17 carat marquise looks huge on my finger. People guess it is 2 carats (because they do not realize that marquises look larger for their weight than rounds). Anything over 1.1 is going to look substantial, so you do not need to go all the way up to 1.4. Put more of the budget towards color (and an excellent cut, of course).

realistdreamer

Rough_Rock
Thanks, That''s where I was heading. Wasn''t aware about the color issue you mention. I can wait a little time, but I''d be in serious trouble if I waited for more months to propose. I''ll keep looking and keep what you said in mind.

Thanks again,
RD

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
I ended up getting a D/VS2 Marquise diamond. My stone is a little deep (68.5%) so it falls in the average cut category (3A). It shows a bow-tie in the middle, but it doesn''t ruin the stone for me:
1117.jpg

I had looked as low as H color and SI2 clarity, while trying to stay in the 1A or 1B AGA cut class. I was having a difficult time because they are few and far between.

Here''s one stone I had my eye on before I picked my D/VS2: http://www.whiteflash.com/marquise/Marquise-cut-diamond-2355160.htm

Lab: GIA
Weight: 1.12ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI1

Depth: 56.7%
Table: 58%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good

Culet: None
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Fluorescence: Faint or Faint Blue
Measurements: 11.89 x 5.34 x 3.03

I was about ready to ask WF to bring in the stone for me when I found my current stone.

1.12ct G-SI1.jpg

realistdreamer

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I''ll have a look. I am also excited because I think I found a "gem" and am having it sent to the appraiser for better review. I''ll keep you posted, but it''s a near ideal F VS2

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds lovely! Please keep us posted on how the stone checks out!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock

I love to see a fellow marquise lover! Just out of curiousity, did your GF specifiically tell you that she wanted a marquise?

I own one myself. The cut is 1B. The specs are:

2.00 carat
D color
VS2
faint blue flourescence
L/ W: 1.99 to 1.00
Depth: 63.3%
Table: 55.3%
Crown: 15.0
Pavillion Depth: 42.8
Girdle: thin to thick
polish and symmetry: very good for both
13.0 x 6.59 x 4.17

My ring is pictured below.

Anyway, you seem to be on the right track. Personally, I wouldn't go below G because you may see some color in the points. You really need to see a marquise to see how it performs and to check out for any obvious bow tie. I would make that a definite priority (getting one w/o a bow tie). Also, I would not buy an EGL graded diamond. Some folks have and have gotten gorgous stones but really, it is a crapshoot.

I would love to see the setting you are considering
36.gif

ringsss.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jazmine, I have to tell you that your ring is a knockout. It''s the first one I''ve seen that made me really really want a marquise!

However, I''m only get a one carat...so I don''t think I would do a marquise justice (at least in a setting like yours). Maybe someday..............

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much! When I was trying to decide on a shape for my e-ring, I thoght I wanted anything but a marquise! This setting changed my mind too.
9.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 12:53:26 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Jazmine, I have to tell you that your ring is a knockout. It''s the first one I''ve seen that made me really really want a marquise!

However, I''m only get a one carat...so I don''t think I would do a marquise justice (at least in a setting like yours). Maybe someday..............
I agree...it''s really beautiful
30.gif
30.gif
My marquise isn''t near the quality and cut of yours...wish I had known much more when dh bought my ring
38.gif
Hindsight is 20/20 though...mine is clear and eye clean but yours is just stunning
30.gif
That setting does alot for the marquise as well...great job
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results