shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying gems in Mae Sai Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Places

Rough_Rock
Hello

Does anyone have any information on buying gems in Mae Sai in Thailand?
I didn''t manage to find a large market with a lot of sellers/buyers, but rather just
a few tables with sellers/buyers that looked serious, and a place called "Manewan gems center"
that had several stores that looked serious.

But i was expecting to see some large market with a lot of people bargaining over gems and
such, did i look in the wrong streets possibly?
Other then that i did find a lot of other places selling gems & jewelery in a tourist style, but
of course thats not what i am looking for.

I also wanted to know if it''s considered rude if i watch other dealers select and buy gems?
Since i wanted to learn more on how things work here.
Is there maybe some website or book i could possibly buy in mae sai that someone could
recommend?
Does anyone know of some place here in mae sai that i could possibly learn more on the
subject?

In general i was interested in buying the low quality gems that are sold by kilograms since i am
not experienced enough to buy anything else.
What would be the best way to buy low quality ruby rough, and what prices should i try to
get them for?
What other stones is it good to buy here?

Thanks.

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Greg,

Mae Sai has a small gem market, not nearly as active as it was a decade ago.

Like all gem markets in producing countries, 99% of what is on offer is not worth buying at any price. And the trick is how to separate out the 1% that is worth buying and then know how much to pay when the seller is often asking many times the actual value.

Bottom line: buyer beware.

You can learn a bit from websites and books, but the only way to really learn is to buy something and then try to sell it. Then you learn real quick.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I agree with Richard: Mae Sai is now a small market which turns to a touristic place full of synthetics, glass, and cheap souvenir stuff. You can still find some interesting stones there if you want to open a gemological school for example, but if you want to find a fine stone... well the things will be more difficult as it is not a cutting market.
Many stones are passing through Mae Sai (and also Mae Sot) but you will not see them: They will go directly to Bangkok or Chanthaburi. Only low quality stones are usually visible there.
Anyway you can make some business there. One of my former student at AIGS is doing a small living from Mae Sai selling on Ebay... Its a lot of work but I think that he is doing quite well!

Anyway in Mae Sai you have to be carefull as many stones are just not what they are told to be. And if you dont know what you are buying and selling then your reputation will soon be very bad... And trust is like virginity: You have it only once!

All the best,

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Richards coments are so true.Once you try and make money out of buying Gems you learn real quick! We only keep the best
1 or 2% of our sapphires to cut or sell in the rough as select stones ourselves,the rest are very difficult to make good returns on.There are good markets for low grade but hard to enter and compete.

Cheers andrew Lane

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Only been to Mai Sai once. Found more synthetics per square foot than anything else. Did better in Mae Sot but this was some years ago. Sounds as if things have not changed very much.

Mikey7

Rough_Rock
Just returned from Mae Sod. Market was really weak.After 2 days bought a little junk just to feel like I did something. Seems what ever quality stones are getting through right now they are being held back for existing dealers

Places

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
I want those type of stones used for a "gemological school",
that''s what i ment in low quality;-)
I bought in mae sai a few stones, it was a rather
interesting experience.
I walked arround for days, but as soon as i sat down
all the brokers starting coming to me offering there
unsellable stones, i told them i wanted low quality stones.
I have no idea how much i overpaid, or if i got any
synthetic( do they even bother making low quality? ),
but it was nice still.

I also went to mae sot(sod?) and bought a few stones
there from one dealer.
Now i am at chantaburi, going to see if any luck here.
Any chance i can buy here or in bangkok African ruby
by the kilo for cheap?

Any idea on what a good price for low quality
African ruby with zoisite would go for?
Are there any other low quality stones i can get here
for cheap?
Is there any gem tools here i should consider buying?

Thanks.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
If you want cheap african ruby by kilo, I think you should find that in chanthaburi. If you dont contact me while you will be back in Bangkok or go directly to fortune tower were many african stay. There you can found hundreds of kilo of cheap african stuff...
All the best in your trip!
Great to see you have good time...

Mikey7

Rough_Rock
Sometimes buying on the cheap can surprise you. I buy cheap stones in Mae Sod just for my own enjoyment. I do try and be as critical an examiner as my limited experience will alow. Recently I sent a dozen rubies to a friend in the States just to see what they would bring. These were all stones I had judged to be of marginal quality mostly due to a lack of clarity and and good color. Much to my surprise 3 small stones brought $600 each. I had 400 invested in the whole batch. My point is buy things you like and to the best of your ability buy quality. While I made out on these stones I also have an ever growing box of experience. Just go for the best you can find in your budget and let the stones fall where they may. At least you come out with some that you like.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
I said Fortune tower?
Well Fortune tower is a place full of computer and IT stuff....
For african rough gems you have to go to "welcome tower" just near Bangrak police station in Thanon Naret

Sorry for the mistake...

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results