shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying first diamond - I would appreciate anyones opinion on my top pick

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skeptical groom

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone,

I am buying my first diamond and I would appreciate anyone''s opinion on the stone I found.

Diamond Information:
EGL Certificate Number: AY 400682
Report: EGL
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.59
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Wire Transfer Price: $7,500
Cut: Ideal
Diamond Proportions:
Measurements: 7.49 x 7.44 x 4.58
Depth Percentage: 61.4
Table Percentage: 58.00
Crown Height: 15%
Pavillion Depth: 43%
Girdle: Medium
Finish Grade: Excellent
Photoluminescence: None
Comments: Ideal Cut H&A effect

Is this a good diamond for its price? I would appreciate any input...

Thanks!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2008 4:06:56 PM
Author:skeptical groom

Hello everyone,

I am buying my first diamond and I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the stone I found.

Diamond Information:
EGL Certificate Number: AY 400682
Report: EGL
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.59
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Wire Transfer Price: $7,500
Cut: Ideal
Diamond Proportions:
Measurements: 7.49 x 7.44 x 4.58
Depth Percentage: 61.4
Table Percentage: 58.00
Crown Height: 15%
Pavillion Depth: 43%
Girdle: Medium
Finish Grade: Excellent
Photoluminescence: None
Comments: Ideal Cut H&A effect

Is this a good diamond for its price? I would appreciate any input...

Thanks!!

Welcome!

It looks like a well cut diamond, but not to top standards, but it depends what you are looking for and I think it is from a lesser known EGL lab...Does it say on the report which one such as Antwerp, South Africa etc? Also are the polish and symmetry grades mentioned? EGL are said to be soft on grading in some cases compared to GIA/ AGS, EGL USA are thought to be the strongest of the EGL labs. If you like this diamond and are seriously considering it for purchase, then make the sale final on the diamond checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects, with an independant appraisal.

Also have you seen the stone in person or is it from an online vendor? Also because it says it is a hearts and arrows diamond does not mean it meets the strict standards necessary to be considered a true hearts and arrows stone, if that is important to you then I would suggest looking at some branded h&a diamonds if that is what you want.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
If your name is important, and you want everything going for you to get a "yes," shop harder.

Otherwise...your pick has promise, but I don''t think is remarkable.

It''s only slightly priced below average, compared to comparables on this board (see above for "Pricescope your Diamond" and make sure to check the box so you are searching on "other," i.e., not a GIA or AGS option)...and many of us would simply not look at an EGL option.

Also see above under the tools, and run the cut advisor. At 2.1, your close to being viable...but the cut off...if you look at the "cross bars" is close to a bad zone, and another problem with EGL is use of percents vs angles to measure...so the possibility of your being in a bad zone already exists.

If you''re committed to shopping locally, get an IS to help you (also under tools above). It''ll run you $25 or a bit more, and will help you have confidence shopping locally.

Of course, many here will encourage you to shop via the internet...in which case...probably no reason to go for anything but more premium goods, with evidence to show you that''s what they are.

Welcome to Pricescope!

skeptical groom

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the quick relply. The diamond is from an online vendor - I.D. Jewelry.

The sales rep told me the diamond was from Israel, so I assume the certificate is from Isreal as well. I have been shopping around quite a bit and the price is very appealing. My main objective is to get the most bang for my buck in a 1.5 Carat stone. My budget is between $7,000 - $8,000. I have not seen much else on the web that compares to the price of this diamond. Any suggestions as to other reputable merchants would be appreciated.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Something to remember is that if indeed EGL has been soft on the grading, GIA or AGS might grade it a few color and/or clarity grades lower. So you need to ask if you are ok with that, OR you need to have it sent for an independent appraisal before purchasing to make sure the color/clarity grades are accurate.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, the price is appealing because it's sort of ...misgraded.

I ran a search on the PS database to illustrate this. The results (and specifications from each search) are as follows:

Showing 1 to 25 of 134 All diamonds matched. Unlike 'in-house', many of these diamonds are virtual listings. Read more...
Round shape, 1.5–1.6 cts, D–H color, IF–VS2 clarity, 58.5–62.5% depth, 54–61% table, $1000–8000, other than GIA and AGS certified

VS:

Showing 1 to 25 of 134 All diamonds matched. Unlike 'in-house', many of these diamonds are virtual listings. Read more...

Round shape, 1.5–1.6 cts, D–H color, IF–VS2 clarity, 58.5–62.5% depth, 54–61% table, $1000–8000,

So that means, for 8K, 1.5+, H+, VS2+, you can ONLY get EGL diamonds. (and actually, not even that many...134 listings actually probably translates to 30-50 unique stones...and PS is one of the largest databases.)

So I think if you're expecting it to be an H VS2...it isn't going to be. I expect such a thing to go for well over 10K.

skeptical groom

Rough_Rock
I spoke with the vendor and he said he would grade the stone as an I in color with an S1 clarity rating. He was very honest and told me this upfront. Based on comparison, 7500 still seems to be a pretty good price for this diamond.

SandraPaneczko

Shiny_Rock
If you absolutely love it and the price is right then its for you but personally I think EGL of IGI reports are iffy... I would go for GIA or AGS. You can still get a beautiful stone from WF or another PS vendor that will be just as brilliant if not more.

skeptical groom

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all of the input everyone. I have another question regarding appraisals. I think it is fairly obvious that I should have my diamond appraised upon arrival. My question is: Does it affect an appraisers ability to evaluate my diamond if I have the diamond placed in a setting or do I need to have them evaluate the loose diamond and then get it put in a setting?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 7:59:54 PM
Author: skeptical groom
Thanks so much for all of the input everyone. I have another question regarding appraisals. I think it is fairly obvious that I should have my diamond appraised upon arrival. My question is: Does it affect an appraisers ability to evaluate my diamond if I have the diamond placed in a setting or do I need to have them evaluate the loose diamond and then get it put in a setting?

For a really accurate appraisal you need to get it done before being set.

Also, I would take the vendor''s appraisal of the stone with a grain of salt...we don''t know much about them yet, they are a new advertiser here.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2008 7:46:04 PM
Author: skeptical groom
I spoke with the vendor and he said he would grade the stone as an I in color with an S1 clarity rating. He was very honest and told me this upfront. Based on comparison, 7500 still seems to be a pretty good price for this diamond.
you ain''t gonna get a true I SI1 1.59 ct for $7500.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results