clarity

Buying engagement ring (less than a carat) but overwhelmed

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Re: Buying engagement ring (less than a carat) but overwhelm

Hi again,

I just had to pop in again and mention that I realized the setting I suggested is quite expensive, more than half your budget. I saw these on the Gabriel Co website and thought they might interest you since you also mentioned she likes vintage details and many of their settings have some vintage touches to them. They're not as "twisty" but I think they're worth a look considering they are half the price.

My fav
https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER7546W44JJ

Or this one could be nice
https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER11794R3W44JJ

I know you can get them through ID Jewelry as I just recently ordered a few G&Co jewelry pieces through them. I was also quoted slightly less than the prices shown on the Gabriel website which was great. I haven't received them so I can't personally attest to quality and such things just yet but I can recall reading around here that they offer a good quality for the price point. iD Jewelry also sourced a diamond for me that I had found on James Allen which I also got for less than JA was listing it for, so if any of the Gabriel settings interest you, you could email IDJ and ask if they can get you the setting and diamond you want.

:wavey:

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Does Brian Gavin have this Sholdt? Seems a lot like what you want. Sholdt "braided prong R478."

sholdt_r478.jpeg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

lifebeckons|1475523894|4083278 said:
Thank you all!!

Before I pull the trigger, are there any red flags about the diamond:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-h-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-2018079

I believe the ASET and Idealscope images are on the link above, but I don't know how to read them or what to look for.

No. You don't actually need to worry much about the Idealscope image unless you have stringent symmetry requirements and want perfect hearts. ASET for light performance should look good because you picked an AGS 000 diamond which takes the guesswork out of getting great cut and performance. (AGS's grading takes that into account and is stricter than GIA's.) I study the ASET and Idealscope images for the location of inclusions and whether they cross any arrow(s) in a way that's likely to make them stand out and be visible at times, and just how visible, since I go for SI2 and I1 diamonds that aren't totally eyeclean all the time. The arrows are "fat" at 76, which I personally like (gives broader flashes of light vs. lgf of 80 which gives more "splintery" arrows and flashes). The table is small enough (55-56% is my personal preference and up to 58% is still small enough) plus a decent crown height and angle -- small table + decent amount of crown height and angle is for fire (colored light.) Overall diamond depth is in the correct range so that the diamond faces up nicely for its carat wt (the opposite is faces up "small" for ct wt due to too much weight down below the girdle line in a deep pavilion.) Looks great. :)

The only concern I have about most of the settings you showed is they are 4 prong. If you go with only 4 prongs, you want either heavier very substantial prongs that resist bending, or you want a rimmed "basket" under the diamond so that the diamond has some additional support from underneath and also that basket holds the prongs in place. I am a destroyer of rings, and I have mangled some prongs in a serious way and even had a diamond slide out of a 4 prong. If you just have 4 tall prongs, and you slip one to the side, the diamond can tilt and slide out. I'd study that potential issue with any of the 4 prong settings and maybe have JA substitute some other head. That's easy to do for any ring that has a peg style head, because the heads are interchangeable.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lifebeckons|1475439384|4082972 said:
Thank you all for your replies!!

Diamond:
Girlguineapig: Thanks for suggesting the diamonds from JA. I liked these two from your list. Can someone help me select the better one out of these two?
I like #2 b/c of the higher crown.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1475600955|4083550 said:
lifebeckons|1475439384|4082972 said:
Thank you all for your replies!!

Diamond:
Girlguineapig: Thanks for suggesting the diamonds from JA. I liked these two from your list. Can someone help me select the better one out of these two?
I like #2 b/c of the higher crown.

It has enough contrast, too. The GIA .82 looks bland even in the video, compared to the AGS stone that is showing some strong black & white. I bet that difference would be readily apparent in the 2 stones if compared against each other.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sagefemme|1475598834|4083542 said:
Does Brian Gavin have this Sholdt? Seems a lot like what you want. Sholdt "braided prong R478."
Thwy carry the line, so they can get it. I love that one! My favorite hands down.

E B

Ideal_Rock

The one you originally picked, from James Allen, was one of the ones she *saw* and loved, right? Because that's what matters most. The Sholdt settings at BGD are beautiful, but some are more than half your budget, and then a .80ct is going to put you over your max max. The one below that Gypsy recommended would still keep you close to max, but it doesn't have the pave or vintage details the JA settings had. It is beautiful, though.

Gypsy|1475561621|4083439 said:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/daphne-sholdt-platinum-6674p

It's easy to overthink these things, but if you're in a position where your girlfriend says, I love this, go with that (unless the quality is horrible and she doesn't know it). IMO. If you are leaning Sholdt, esp. something without diamonds or vintagey detail, I'd show your girlfriend and get her opinion before choosing it over something she said she liked. Just to be sure!

E B

Ideal_Rock

One great thing about the plain twisty Sholdt is that you/she wouldn't have to worry about pave (esp. twisty pave) prongs rubbing against a wedding band, BUT, to some women, diamond details are worth any possible hassle. I'd find out which camp she's in.

E B

Ideal_Rock

IF you plan on showing her any additional settings, I'd throw this one in too, since it ticks most of the boxes AND will sit nicely next to a straight wedding band. It isn't a full infinity, but has a fun twist at the top (where the diamond sits). It is also available at Whiteflash, but if you purchase through Ritani, you can "see before you buy" if you live near a retailer.

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-r...diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/4962

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...itani-modern-diamond-engagement-ring-2248.htm

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love the Sholt. Flora is my favorite them gypsy's pick of the Daphne. So classy and stunning, great choice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results